Land Based Pier Fishing Cart Setup

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Land Based Pier Fishing Cart Setup

Post by Andrews » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:55 pm

Inspired by SteveoTheTiger’s discussing tackle box storage and the perfect way of carrying tackle, I wanted to share my DIY land-based pier fishing cart setup.
This setup focus is forever a work in progress and is always being upgraded to improve functionality. This setup is convenient, light weight, strong and perfectly sized for carrying all the tackle required to target multi species using three to four rods.

The cart:
The ideal cart is light weight, corrosion resistant, easy to use and all round convenient.
This foldable basket cart is constructed of a lightweight aluminum frame supported by two large and two small rubber wheels on a stainless-steel axle. The white basket bottom is an epoxy coated steel. Running a magnet over the whole cart the only non-aluminum parts are the stainless-steel rivets, stainless axle and white epoxy iron basket bottom. This pre-made aluminum cart cost $50 online.
Screenshot_6.jpg
Learnings:
Cheap basket carts online are constructed with epoxy coated iron tubing and are highly susceptible to corrosion and rusting. Stainless steel while a stronger material, these fishing carts are highly expensive $200+, large and heavy. As someone who drives a small car, a Kia Rio a large fishing cart was not practical.

Improvements:
Aluminum is a corrosion resistant material but is prone to pitting and will rust when exposed to saltwater/air without proper care. Treating the material with a marine grade aluminum anti-corrosion will improve the life span and longevity of the cart. Aluminum will react negatively with some marine grade anti-corrosion sprays which are not made for aluminum.

A fine aluminum mesh strengthens the bottom while helping distribute weight and prevent objects falling through the bottom. I used a firm diamond pattern gutter guard which I purchased off eBay for under $5 and clear cable tied to the frame.

Aluminum bull bar rod holders from Wilson and are attached to the front of the cart as this is a backwards pulling cart. This allows for easy access to the rods, and they sit nicely when carrying along the pier.

Aluminum carabiners with 550 paracord are a convenient way to attach tools which require easy access too. I attached a plastic fish ruler and a standard bait knife to either side for easy access.
Screenshot_8.jpg
Experience with the cart:
My experience using this cart for five months has made my trips down to the pier a dream. The cart when full of tackle is light weight, liftable with one hand and when pulling behind only requires two fingers. It conveniently holds all my gear and even has room for a rolled up/tucked in rain jacket. The cart has no issues traveling over wood beams and can tackle any incline with ease.

Gear:
Three rods total, two Shimano Quickfire 7’ 2-4kg 10lb mono, a Shimano Quickfire EGI 7’6, 10lb braid and 10lb leader for squid.
I use three Sistema Klip It food storage containers as a tackle box as they are stackable, clear and fit nicely in the cart.

Container 1 contains tools including sinkers, two stainless steel pliers, a hook sharpener, bright pink scissors, 10lb mono leader and a pool noodle for storing my circle hook paternoster.
Screenshot_9.jpg
Container 2 contains a large mix of pre-made snapper 6/0 rigs, multispecies pre-made #4 rigs, circle hooks, Mustard Fastach clips, swivels and soft plastics.
Screenshot_10.jpg
Contain 3 contains burley pellets, pre-made garfish, weightless and long shank rigs along with spare hooks.
Screenshot_11.jpg
Double sided squid jig case can hold 14 squid jigs and has spaces for soft plastics. Stickers on the back are for convivence.
Screenshot_12.jpg
Large metal clamp is used to hold my circle hook rig and the carabiner/paracord clips around the neck of the reel for safety. I have seen plenty of rods go over the side of the pier.
Telescopic carbon fiber net is a 80cm extendable to 4M net with a stainless steel ring and mono fishing line net. My pier is 3.5-4M to the water depending on tide movement and this net is light weight and easy to use. I use this net over other nets as squid ink mucus passes right through and doesn’t leave a mess that other nets struggle with.
Screenshot_13.jpg
Hope you enjoy the look into my land based foldable pier fishing cart and I welcome any recommended improvements. Happy to answer questions about any part of this post.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Land Based Pier Fishing Cart Setup

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:10 pm

That looks like a real pro setup. I think for landbased fishing it is essential to have a nice setup for the type of fishing you are doing. To me it looks like you are perfectly set up to pick a nice spot and just sit there for hours, where saph (in the other thread) has a great setup for someone who is moving along while flicking soft plastics or something.

A couple of things that i have seen that interest me are those bucket caddy things that wrap around a 20lt bucket and have pockets for all your knives and a small tackle tray. And the other is the Plano bucket lid tackle box, that thing seems like a great idea to me.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:33 pm

Wow. Pretty full on setup.
I got something, one of those granma folding shopping cart but that's it. CBB to modify it. Lol.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:44 pm

Thanks Steveo, I completely agree, this is more of a setup for sitting and waiting with the rods in the water. I normally run three rods, one squid rod, one circle hook paternoster and one universal rod I swap between soft plastics and mixed bait rigs (garfish, whiting, pinkies, etc).
I used to use a 20lt bucket to carry all my gear but found it physically exhausting having to carry a heavy bucket down a long pier while also managing the rods and esky. I much prefer this new setup; all the weight is behind you and it is a breeze to pull. I like the idea behind those bucket pockets, but I think having them on the inside would be more functional. Last thing I’d want is gear getting damage due to weather exposure. The lid seems like a great idea, super convenient.

Thanks Seb, I always like to be prepared for any species hanging around the pier. You never know what is biting. I never imagined the day I would be bringing a full-on cart but I sure am glad I do these days.

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:22 pm

Great set up and explanation
No chair, but, most metropolitan piers have seating now
When/if I build one it'll be a trailer for a ride on
Want to fish Welshpool jetty (& others) and it's too far for me to comfortably walk.
Your ideas are saved for my project, along with the bug's
Thanks Gra

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:22 pm

I'm a cheapskate.

I use an old pull along golf trolley with the wide solid wheels. ( $2.oo from the opshop). This makes it practical to use on the beach too without the wheels digging into the sand.

A large plastic box fits nicely where a golf bag would normally go and the buggy even has a seat.

Rods etc are easily carried by simply laying the rods across the upper bag support and laying them across the seat. Hold them down with an occy strap.

:wt:

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:48 pm

That is an impressive setup. Wow!

Stewy

Post by Stewy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:44 pm

Excellent setup.
Gotta love something that takes the hassle out carrying.
I have a couple that I use for jam Jerrup 👍
Never carry anything again lol 👍

Andrews

Post by Andrews » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:24 am

I am glad you brought up the point about a chair Texas, I had a similar thought process regarding one when putting this setup together. I had the realization that I could comfortably sit on top of my esky, 13L, 25cm wide, 33cm high, 30cm long which was a great multipurpose.
I think you’re right about having something motorized for Welshpool Jetty, 850m is one long walk. Makes me appreciate my local 350m pier.

You’ve got the one up on this design Whiskers with the advantage to work nicely on the beach. I think the DIY setups are always the most functional. I look forward to seeing how this handles the elements during winter (assuming we’re fishing by then).

I think it took me hauling all the heavy/hard to carry gear down the pier plenty of times to have the realization that there must be a better way. I am glad I made the change.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:39 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:10 pm
That looks like a real pro setup. I think for landbased fishing it is essential to have a nice setup for the type of fishing you are doing. To me it looks like you are perfectly set up to pick a nice spot and just sit there for hours, where saph (in the other thread) has a great setup for someone who is moving along while flicking soft plastics or something.
i mean i can take all the gear, swap the plastics for a tackle tray and you have the perfect bait setup, add a camping chair and your set

Looks sweet as for a cart, might have to make myself something like that because even with a bag its a pain to carry more then one rod if you want to swap about.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”