Your Tackle Box Setup

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Your Tackle Box Setup

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:56 pm

This is from before i took possession of the boat. I have made some changes such as a bait board mounted on the engine well. Some folding cup holders here and there and enough vertical rod holders mounted on the stainless steel rails on both sides of the windscreen to carry at least 4 rods each for 3 people. You can see the two underfloor lockers, as i said one is now a fuel tank. You can also see the side pockets which are the only other easily accessible storage. My tackle bag fits perfectly under my seat which i spin around to face the stern while fishing.

This is my typical fishing setup, although i have since installed a bigger bait board and re positioned the rod holders so that they are easier to reach. The small esky is my bait esky. I have another esky for storing what we catch and is also a seat for the third person and used for storing our food and drinks until we catch something. I also have a storage tub pushed under the seat that the esky is sitting on which i use for things like the berley bucket, scaling bag, tea towels, tools etc etc.

And this is the front. I now have an Elite Ti2 on the dash and will be putting some sort of basket to hold phone and wallet etc. The section on the left side of the bow is a hatch that opens up so that you can walk right up to the bow for achoring or fishing.. its a really nice feature of the boat. But it does mean that you lose at least half of the storage that you would have up front. There is storage on the right hand side in front of the wheel, but it is very hard to access.

And finally, me.. and what its all about.
You can see my old massive Plano tackle box taking up a quarter of the deck lol.

EDIT: I changed the image host. Hopefully you can see the photos now.
Last edited by SteveoTheTiger on Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:22 pm

im having trouble seeing the images, but ill try again when im home.
there must be something we can do to have more storage and make life a bit easier.

edit - visible now mate. cheers

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:37 pm

I've gone through a couple methods over the years and what I've recently come to realise on the most recent method change up - your set up is hugely dependent on the type of fishing you do (covering species, methods, frequency, etc) and there is no perfect approach if you fish more than one way for more than one species - especially if you are not disciplined on your tackle management system.

Right now I've got a couple "cover-all methods and waters" tackle boxes set up for particular species (cod/yellas, trout, bass/ep and bread and butter salt), then my remaining tackle and gear is centralized (e.g - tub for line, tub for reels, tub for odds and ends) - so when I head out I just grab the most applicable tackle box then pick the gear I need.

Prior to this, I had full species tubs where all gear was grouped per species/style I was doing. It worked well then because I was actively going away to fish and meant I just had to grab a box and throw it in the back of the car with the needed rods - but now I'm not going away or fishing as frequently this became overkill to set up for small trips then pack up.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Recently I tidied up my fishing 'pantry' (the only allocated place in the house by the mrs, except my fly fishing rods, they're in my wardrobe, lol). Still a bit of a mess, but I got it sorted enough. Rods, reel, and other bits and pieces.

I got few boxes each for its own specific use. Similar to my rods and reels. I got pretty much one (or two) for each type of fishing.

Nowadays I specifically target the place and the fish, so I just grab the rod reel and boxes etc that I need for the trip and into a back pack. For both landbased and kayak trips.

For example, I got a box for trout streams fishing. So I just grab that and my 1-3 kg trout rod and a 2000 reel. Or grab the squid jig box, Solpara egi rod and 2500 reel. Cod box and baitcast gear for cod and so on. End of the day, I just put them back.

This way, I know what I do have and dont/lost. No more confusion at tackle shop "do I need this, did I loose it, do I still have enough at home...".
Attachments
rps20200407_155255.jpg
rps20200407_155336.jpg
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm

happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:37 pm
Prior to this, I had full species tubs where all gear was grouped per species/style I was doing. It worked well then because I was actively going away to fish and meant I just had to grab a box and throw it in the back of the car with the needed rods - but now I'm not going away or fishing as frequently this became overkill to set up for small trips then pack up.
I think this is a good method, and really your only choice if you go after a lot of different but specific species.

Personally i only really target a few species.. Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Gummy & Squid is about it for me. And i can change my mind on the water depending on the conditions. So i tend to take everything with me all the time.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:22 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:16 pm
happyfriggincamper wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:37 pm
I think this is a good method, and really your only choice if you go after a lot of different but specific species.

Personally i only really target a few species.. Whiting, Flathead, Snapper, Gummy & Squid is about it for me. And i can change my mind on the water depending on the conditions. So i tend to take everything with me all the time.
Yea I get this dilemma too.
It's like, I'm gonna go for squid fishing, but then, what if the salmon are busting. And what. If we fish through the night and use the squid as a fresh bait, we'd need gummy gear. Lol. And the regret of not taking them "I should've brought some metal lures, look at those salmon busting on the surface".
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 pm

490SLR stevo?

I just use 3700 sized trays, each tray has a plastic dymo label on one end with what's inside (plastics, jigheads/spare hooks and rings/scents, spinnerbaits, squid jigs, you get the idea) and I take what I'll need for each trip in a bag capable of holding 5 trays at a time. If I'm on the yak doing a river bass trip where the yak needs to be as light as possible I take an empty 3700 and load a mixture of what I think I'll need for the day. Leaders sits in 1 large pocket, things like zmans that have to stay in their packs sit in another pocket, bushmans and sunscreen in another. Pretied rigs like kingfish rigs and lures sit in a binder wallet by themselves, same with wire traces pre crimped. Sinkers remain in a plastic tray in the side pockets of the boat divided each side from 1oz to 4oz one side, the other side 6oz to 32oz. Other spares like windons stay in a cupboard at home because they're just not needed every trip.

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:08 pm

cobby wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:47 pm
490SLR stevo?
Close, 460SLR. A great little boat.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:23 pm

The hatch gave it away. 89 build?

SteveoTheTiger

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Not 100% sure what year. Its registered as 1990, but that was based on the trailer (yep, still on the same trailer.. very scary haha)

edit: Ive only had it for 2 years.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”