Transducer Foam

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Transducer Foam

Post by croe04 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:30 pm

Gday guys

I've chosen to do a in-hull mount of my transducer for my fishfinder in my yak, I was wondering if a ~1.5in thick piece of styrofoam with the transducer shape cut out would work well and have no issues with the marine adhesive? Alternatively i'd go look for an old yoga mat if there were going to be issues with the styrofoam melting or not adhering to the sealant.
I would buy a foam pad from SLH but don't really want to pay 10 bucks shipping for a 6 dollar weightless foam pad, seems silly when I could easily just diy it.

Edit: Forget the styrofoam. Tried doing a test run and spent 10 minutes vacuuming styrofoam bits on the floor, then the foam snapped in half after i tried to stick the transducer in it. I'm gonna find a yoga mat.

thanks in advance for any advice
cheers
croe

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Re: Transducer Foam

Post by Sebb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:09 pm

I thought of that for my yak, sounds like the perfect transducer fitting. But yeah, Found the same issue. Cutting foam, getting this and that, make sure no air, etc etc. Gave up.
Bought pvc pipe from Bunnings instead. Lol.
Good luck though.
I'm gonna go and try to fish coronet bay Sun morning. Join me if you could.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

croe04
Has liked: 161 times

Post by croe04 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:22 pm

I've given up on the foam insert, easier to just to stick the transducer straight onto the marine adhesive, between my shoddy cutting skills and the amount of bubbles in the yoga mat cutout doing my original plan will probably turn into air bubble central. maybe 'easily just diy it' was a bit of an oversight. I'd do the ram transducer arm mount or scupper mount but i'm too afraid being an idiot and dinging up the transducer on launch or retrieve, so in-hull is still the go.
still waiting on my fpv battery and thru-hull wiring kit, also gotta head to bunnings to get a 25mm spade bit. hopefully it'll give me time to plan this out instead of mucking it up catastrophically lol.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:41 pm

LoL.
Good luck, take some photos and let us know when you're done. :tu:
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Tim399
Has liked: 251 times

Post by Tim399 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:45 pm

I cant remember what foam i used but it was similar to a kickboard foam. I traced the transducer and cut it out with a stanley knife to make a snug fit, creating a foam housing for the transducer. I then lightly sanded the hull for the adhesive to stick to, and glued the housing down. Once dried i filled it with water and looked for leaks over time. Once certain there are no leaks push the transducer in and fill with water. I kept the cutout and use it to plug the top of the transducer like a wine cork, which stops water spilling out during transporting the yak and throughout the day.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 am

I used EVA foam from one of those foam mats. Works pretty wel. I just cut out a hollow rectangle shape, glued it to the inside of the hull and once it set completely filled the hollow with sikaflex and pressed the transducer into that
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”