Burley pots for Landbased Fisho's

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Burley pots for Landbased Fisho's

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:05 am

To B or not to B. Thats is the question? (pun intended)

Again this will be locked until I get a few words in, then I will unlock it.

Sometimes being able to burley, and burley correctly is essential to catching your target species for the Landbased Angler. Coarse anglers will use burley, to target trout, carp. A trick that is used by some trout fisho's is to find fly blown road kill and to hang it in a branch that over hangs the water.

The land based saltwater fisho' can use burley to target species such as, garfish, mullet, salmon, snapper, tuna, sharks etc. There may be other species that do respond to the use of burley.

Wolly Bugger

Re: Burley pots for Landbased Fisho's

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:48 am

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

What method you are going use, depends on a number of factors, like do you want the burly on the surface or just below the surface or on the bottom. Things like is there a current and current strength can influence these decisions. The current, can and will move the burley away from your fishing spot, thereby taking the fish you are targeting with it and out of your fishing area.

Perhaps the simplest method is to just use your hand to throw the burley mixture out, but this can be pretty messy and stinky.
The next simplest method is to obtain a soup ladle (like the one pictured). This then can be used to mix the burley mixture and to fling/toss it out to where you wish to deliver it. It is especially good to use for the very fine burley mixtures used for Garfish and Mullet.

I have seen a number of elderly fisho's using this method. So it was their idea, not mine.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433972880083.jpg

Wolly Bugger

This burley pot, floats, and you can regulate the rate at which the burley disperses out of it. The trick is to only fill it about half way with burley. Burley pellets that break up are perhaps better to use, than the really fine burley mixtures.

I need to replace this one, as where the cord got tied, has broken away.

It can be a bit hard to undo the top to put more burley pellets in it.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433972907047.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433972932792.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:07 am

This nylon fish bag has multiple uses, from putting you catch in, to being used as a scaler bag by boats. But for the Landbased fisho' it can be used as a burley bag. Put in frozen burly blocks, pilchards, left over fish scraps.

The number one trick is too tie very good knots, used mainly on the surf beaches when targeting salmon or shark. You need to add perhaps another 10 metres of rope and tie that rope to your rod holder.

Over the years, I have caught a blue burley pot, and another nylon fish bag whilst bait fishing for salmon at Gunnamatta. Both had fair few metres of rope attached. So make sure you knots are not going to come undone.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433974048520.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:58 am

This is the blue burley pot, I caught at Gunnamatta. It is perhaps the cheapest to buy. The lid can be a bit difficult to undo or do up. Again only fill about half full with the burley you are using.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433977099331.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:59 am

This burley pot, is mostly designed to be used from a boat, but there is no reason it can't be used on piers, to get the burly onto the bottom.

It is weighted on the bottom and the lead bottom is the lid, through where you can place your burley. It how ever has a design weakness. The hinge is not stainless steel, so after about a year the metal has corroded away.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433977149801.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1433977121695.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:00 am

This burley pot is of much better quality. This time the lid is on the top and the bottom is the lead weight. It comes in two sizes. This size and a smaller size.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433977198869.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1433977181776.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:25 am

Not all methods of dispensing burley are large and cumbersome. Coarse anglers use a burley cage that attached to their fishing line and delivers the burley near to where the hook is. This method is usually used with nibble tip rods.

The burly cages come in various sizes and styles.

The other method is the brass wire coil that you can see in the picture. I first saw these in Adelaide when we were fishing off one of the piers there. The ones we used had a sinker on the bottom. The idea is to press your burley (bread or dough) into the wire spring and it then disperse out.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1433978715360.jpg

Wolly Bugger

Post by Wolly Bugger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:33 am

Another method is that there is a float available that also has a wire spring/cage into which you press your burley mixture.

Will post a picture when I find it.

Return to “Other Fishing Equipment”