Quick dive at pyramid rock yesterday

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Quick dive at pyramid rock yesterday

Post by Kimtown » Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:17 am

Had a quick dive at pyramid rock. Conditions were absolutely exceptional, perhaps the best I’ve seen. Zero swell or chop, 20+m of visibility, no rain and sun beaming down on the bottom. Not much in the terms of fish, the usual reef suspects hanging around? Wrasse, sweep, butterfish, zebra fish etc. did see a nice Boar fish hanging out in a cave, however I didn’t have my gun on me, as i was using it to hold a dive position... went back to get the gun then lost where I was... such is diving. Heaps of big abalone around ripe for the picking when the season commences.

Still yet to pop the crayfish cherry personally, I don’t know what the hell im doing wrong but I can never see them

Breath hold was surprisingly okay, since I haven’t dived in 6 months, and I reckon I was getting around about 6m until I was having difficulties equalising my right ear

Anyway was an awesome dive and good to get away from house work / renovations that’s been keeping me occupied since lock down.

My friend should have some GoPro footage up soon

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Quick dive at pyramid rock yesterday

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:30 pm

I look forward to the video. Hopefully you dont pop your Great White cherry.

The area the i grew up spearfishing in Forster NSW has constant Great White sightings these days.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

ango

Post by ango » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Sounds like a good dive, regrettably, these days medical issues stop me diving, but I did manage to get a crayfish once when I could dive. I was spearfishing off St Andrews and just shot a sweep which are pretty good eating as it happens. My float line got a bit tangled so I let the sweep and spear sink to the bottom while I untangled it, when I had finished I looked around to see where the sweep was and there was a cray having a go at it. Needless to say I got the cray as well as the sweep, that's the only cray I ever got. Hopefully you can get more than one only.
Cheers
Ango.

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:04 am

ango wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:09 pm
Sounds like a good dive, regrettably, these days medical issues stop me diving, but I did manage to get a crayfish once when I could dive. I was spearfishing off St Andrews and just shot a sweep which are pretty good eating as it happens. My float line got a bit tangled so I let the sweep and spear sink to the bottom while I untangled it, when I had finished I looked around to see where the sweep was and there was a cray having a go at it. Needless to say I got the cray as well as the sweep, that's the only cray I ever got. Hopefully you can get more than one only.
Cheers
Ango.
Hmm maybe I should shoot a sweep for bait? They are legit everywhere down there lol

Actually on second thoughts, baiting and spear fishing may be illegal nowadays? Idk, id have to brush up on my fishing rules on that one

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:57 am

I’ve seen the Americans just grab the Crays if they aren’t to far into their holes

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”