Freediving Spearfishing ( williamstown / Shark sighting )

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
vinhii

Freediving Spearfishing ( williamstown / Shark sighting )

Post by vinhii » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:35 am

This happened about 8-9 months ago,.. But since im back now thought id share with you boys..

I was spearfishing in my usual spot in Williamstown , great day , and showing a new friend the ropes.
couple hours go by and i have a catch bag full of goodies.

I went with total of 4 people including me and 2 of my mates were from the army so they pretty strong swimmers lol
We slowly separated and i looked around to find myself all alone in around 4-5mtrs of water , So feeling alone i swam back in closer roughly around 2-3mtrs ..

Just as i spot a fish i was bout to tag with my speargun ,.. i spotted something else on the corner of my eye that was much much bigger LOL! :lolf:
As i turned my gaze ,.. i let out a good "F%#K!!" under water and almost shat a brick!! :lolf:

he came towards me ,.. and i had both hands on the gun and was ready to take the shot at its gills ,.. it was either me or him i thought to myself lol :Boxing:
but just as it was in firing distance of my speargun it turned away ,..and all i can see till this day is its big tail slowly swaying left and right away from me ...i estimate the shark to be atleast 100-200kg it was the same size as me and im a big boy lol

I quickly looked up to check where everyone was and it was swimming straight towards my mates so i was screaming "SHARKKKK!!!" so my boys could get ready to encounter it but they never saw it, and pretty much immediately we got out of the water haha! :shark:

I think it was more interested in me because i had the catch bag on me that day.
P.s it was a bronzie lol i remember the coloration and the black tips

I heard a week earlier that another diver had same issue with a shark in Mt Martha , shark went straight for his catch bag.

Anyway happy hunting and be safe all! :a_goodjob:
PLENTY!! of FISH!! in the SEA!! but so little TIME!!!

tommyfishunter

Re: Freediving Spearfishing ( williamstown / Shark sighting

Post by tommyfishunter » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:51 am

This is exactly why i fish on top of the surface aint got no time for sharks unless they are gummy sharks and they're in my eski.

tuna tube

Post by tuna tube » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:36 am

Looks like I might need bigger hooks! Thanks for sharing
Cheers
The Tube

mcbain

Post by mcbain » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 am

Great report i have been over that are a few times over the past month and have only seen rays. But you never know what might be cruising past.
if you ever want a DB shoot me a PM

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 am

Big sharks are an awesome sight from inside a boat not when you are free diving I reckon I would have s@it bricks and built a wall good story

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:57 pm

Mcbain - sure thing bud! i usually do winter dives too if you are keen? and sometimes Winter/night dives if you super keen haha

Nude up - oh trust me! i did **** a Brick!! lmao! prossible shat enough to build a house hahahahaha! , i mean it did take my by surprise so yeah.
when i was over in exmouth , WA, i did do spearfishing there too and there was afew reef sharks and black tips around me i wasnt so scared but still need to be on guard lol

adamk

Post by adamk » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:52 pm

thats crazy s..., hats off to you, ball of steel.

khan

Post by khan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:20 pm

reminds me of one of the spearfishing trips in Karachi Pakistan, I heard similar call, shark shark and everyone jumped on the boat, while I was speeding away for safety I noticed a shoal of 5 to 6 big black sharkish fish just under me (reckon could touch them) swam as fast as could when we were all together on the boat we started discussing which shark it could have been and after exchanging details realised they were big cobias by the time we went back to get them they were long gone

vinhii

Post by vinhii » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:24 pm

Hahah oh no!! Damn that would've been heart pumping lol!

Raulfc7
Has liked: 21 times

Post by Raulfc7 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:38 pm

Far out vinhii that would have turned you white! How long did it take to get back in the water for your next dive and did you carry the catch bag again?
"Do good when you remember, and what you forget will be revealed to you; and do not surrender your mind to blind forgetfulness."

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”