bought a Hawaiian sling!

Forum for Snorkeling information around Melbourne.
nickfish

bought a Hawaiian sling!

Post by nickfish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:39 pm

hey all i recently went down to rays outdoors and got myself a hawaiian sling and. im going to use it at the pensula next week and im also going to to st kilda tommorow not really sure if i can use it there but ill bring it and have a look. if any one has any tips on spear fishing that would be great as if never used one before and i know its dangerous so i dont want to do anything stupid with it or harm anyone and get a feed or two out of it :dinner: . as always thanks

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Re: bought a Hawaiian sling!

Post by mazman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:43 pm

haven't used one before but i would recommend you jump on the dpi website and check regulations involving where you can use it what you can use it for etc.
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Part Timer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Part Timer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:59 pm

mazman wrote:haven't used one before but i would recommend you jump on the dpi website and check regulations involving where you can use it what you can use it for etc.
Yeah that's the best bet. Also check if you need any other equipment (like a diving flag) as I know my mate had to carry a fair bit with him when he went spearing years ago

nickfish

Post by nickfish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:19 pm

mazman wrote:haven't used one before but i would recommend you jump on the dpi websiteand check regulations involving where you can use it what you can use it for etc.
yer thanks for that

aussie_fisho

Post by aussie_fisho » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Your probaly not going to hit any fast moving fish like a salmon with a Hawaiian sling, but your best bet at a fish is to try for flathead/ flounder or leather jackets. At night along the shallows of the penisula hold good number, Look for the eyes of fish or shape of head. I beleive you need to stay 30m away from any jetty/ pier using any spear as well, good luck
Here fishy fishy.......

smoken

Post by smoken » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Good luck hitting anything with the sling! Best bet would be to get a decent speargun, as it makes the job much easier.

Return to “Snorkeling and diving around Melbourne”