Starter gear for pier and beach fishing

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Starter gear for pier and beach fishing

Post by fisho999 » Tue May 16, 2023 10:35 am

what gear and tackle will I need for my next trip to Port Albert and the 90-mile beach? I plan to flick soft plastics off the piers at Port Albert and also bait fish, and catch my own bait. what lure colours, hook sizes, leader weights, ect will I need?

thanks,
fisho999

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Starter gear for pier and beach fishing

Post by Sebb » Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 pm

My versatile pier and short distance gear for bread and butter species is always 2-4kg rod around 7ft, 8lb to 10lb line, 2500 spin reel.
For beach, rocks and surf, with lures, is 8ft-9ft 4-7kg rod, 3000 to 4000 spin reel with 15lb to 20lb line, depends on what species are available there to target.

Bait fishing wise, depends on the weather. As in, rough windy days will need bigger sinker, hence heavier rod class to be able to cast heavy sinker, etc. Hook soze depens on what you're targeting. I reckon 1/0 is pretty generic.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue May 16, 2023 8:09 pm

Agreed with Sebb, a light little 7ft+ combo, 2-4kg, 2500 reel and you're set.
Still be able top punch out plastics and light metals!
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Thu May 18, 2023 11:39 am

Sebb wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 1:34 pm
My versatile pier and short distance gear for bread and butter species is always 2-4kg rod around 7ft, 8lb to 10lb line, 2500 spin reel.
For beach, rocks and surf, with lures, is 8ft-9ft 4-7kg rod, 3000 to 4000 spin reel with 15lb to 20lb line, depends on what species are available there to target.

Bait fishing-wise, depends on the weather. As in, rough windy days will need bigger sinker, hence heavier rod class to be able to cast heavy sinker, etc. Hook size depends on what you're targeting. I reckon 1/0 is pretty generic.
Thanks, Sebb, that's great advice. what kind of lures should I buy and what techniques should I use with those lures?

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Thu May 18, 2023 11:54 am

Depends what fish you after. If you're not sure what's there, it's always a good idea to have few plastics such as zman slim swimz, zman grubz, squidgy flickbait, squidy wriggler, berkley turtleback worm. And various jigheads. Plastics can be used in all water columns and levels.
Good idea to always have halco twisty too.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

jackyybaba

Post by jackyybaba » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:01 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 10:35 am
what gear and tackle will I need for my next trip to Port Albert and the 90-mile beach? I plan to flick soft plastics off the piers at Port Albert and also bait fish, and catch my own bait. what lure colours, hook sizes, leader weights, ect will I need?

thanks,
fisho999
For your upcoming fishing trip to Port Albert and the 90-mile beach, it's essential to have the right gear and tackle to impress your fellow anglers. Here's a comprehensive list:

Rod and Reel: Make sure to bring a medium to medium-heavy spinning rod and reel combo that can handle both flicking soft plastics off the piers and bait fishing. This will provide you with the versatility and power you need for various fishing techniques.

Soft Plastics: Pack a diverse range of soft plastic lures in different colors and sizes to attract a wide variety of fish. Opt for natural shades like white, chartreuse, and brown, as they tend to mimic the appearance of prey and entice fish to strike.

Return to “General”