What is the most important thing you'd spend $$$ on?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3013 times

Re: What is the most important thing you'd spend $$$ on?

Post by Sebb » Wed May 10, 2023 6:28 pm

Other than safety, I agree with Andrews abot proper clothing.
When I started fishing, young and super keen, I would think more of the fishing and less about clothing. I'd get cold, etc. Til I figured out outdoor tech clothing. Then the fishing is much more enjoyable.
E.g., if it's windy (and often cold), windproof jacket and pants can make a huge difference in the decisions between giving up fishing after 30 mins or fishing for hours without catching cold.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Wed May 10, 2023 9:12 pm

fishnut wrote:
Wed May 10, 2023 9:25 am
Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 am
Get yourself a hand held fish finder for a start. They are very good and can help a lot when fishing a new spot. Other than that, I try to avoid anything Daiwa.
I second that,couple years ago bought a Daiwa egg rod and about 2months later it just snapped while casting the lure so no more Daiwa for me
I still remember when Daiwa was right up there with Ryobi as the cheapest crap you could buy at K-Mart. There is a reason why daiwa only give a 1 year warranty and Shimano give 10

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed May 10, 2023 9:36 pm

Actual fishing gear? Quality braid makes an absolute world of difference if you're casting lures land based.

The difference between a Finns or Powerpro and a quality 8x weave like Tasline or more recently i've been using shimano grappler/ocea is staggering and will 10x your enjoyment of firing lures from the rocks.

Outside of actual fishing gear and beyond what's already been mentioned, quality boots and a professionally fitted backpack make a world of difference to how comfortable walks in and out can be.

A Jetboil to make a coffee in can be the difference between packing up at 10am and pushing through to the afternoon.

A couple of little metal wedge 'rocko' style rod holders will make more spots easier to fish in the long run.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Thu May 11, 2023 1:09 pm

haha, we've all been there Sebb.
I reckon wearing appropriate clothing is definitely one of the more important ones.
Functional clothing is key too, windproof pants with a zipper vent are gold because you can regulate your temperature / airflow.

Solid advice there with the backpack and accessories.
I'd also rate a small boo boo kit, simple things like individual alcohol wipes, mix of bandaids, some chapstick, aspirin, and individual antiseptic.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Sat May 13, 2023 7:27 pm

good quality rod and and line, especialy when lure fishing. also a good landing net.

Boogie

Post by Boogie » Thu May 18, 2023 7:36 pm

Good quality hooks n line

.mid range rod n reels.

Return to “General”