Basic Kayak

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Basic Kayak

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:27 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:45 pm

It sounds like he's just going to be paddling in the shallows on a nice beach day. He's not going 10k off shore. I don't think he wants the added responsibilty of carting around a big heavy kayak or having to buy a trailor. He probably only wants to spend a few hundred bucks, the sea flow will do him fine

you may be right - I only tell it as I see it --- over loading a pool toy still isn't the smart way to go
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:33 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:45 pm
cheaterparts wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:43 pm
do the quick sums 125 kg max load 100 kg your kayaker 17 kg weight of the boat ( yes it will be in the equation ) and least a kg for the paddle

so that is now 118 kg from 125 leaving 7 kg for extra weight like wet clothing over dry and we haven,t even thought about fishing gear or a bottle of water

add to this both boats are way to short for the bay - calm days don't always stay that way and a short kayak is hard enough to paddle in good conditions

I never really advise anyone heading out on the bays to paddle anything under 4 meters ( 3.6 meters at a pinch ) and for a guy at 6' 6" and 100 kg you will need the extra weight capacity

kayaks get less stable as they get near or over the max capacity and taller the guy the less stabile as well as the centre of gravity also is higher

both these kayaks are pool toys or calm skinny water boats
It sounds like he's just going to be paddling in the shallows on a nice beach day. He's not going 10k off shore. I don't think he wants the added responsibilty of carting around a big heavy kayak or having to buy a trailor. He probably only wants to spend a few hundred bucks, the sea flow will do him fine
Have to agree with Seniorfisho. I think the key words are "off Dromana on calm beach days". Provided the length of the seat well will comfortably accommodate his brother's long legs I reckon the Seak Swift will suit him just fine.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 pm

Thanks For the responses everyone.

Last few comments are on the ball. It’s really only a mess around in the shallows on a calm day sort of thing. Otherwise I’d be suggesting that he gets serious with it.

I’ll take a look at the Seak options. They also have this which has a 120kg weight rating but is a bit shorter

https://www.anacondastores.com/water-sp ... -blue-camo

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 am

yepi'mon wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 pm

Last few comments are on the ball. It’s really only a mess around in the shallows on a calm day sort of thing. Otherwise I’d be suggesting that he gets serious with it.

I’ll take a look at the Seak options. They also have this which has a 120kg weight rating but is a bit shorter

The Sea flow is short enough, don't get the shorter one

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:47 am

Seniorfisho wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:18 am
yepi'mon wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:19 pm

The Sea flow is short enough, don't get the shorter one
Once again I agree with Seniorfisho. Couple of things to bear in mind. The longer the craft, the faster it will paddle and the longer it will run and I don't believe the weight of the craft is included in it's carrying capacity.

Tim399
Has liked: 252 times

Post by Tim399 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:27 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:43 pm
do the quick sums 125 kg max load 100 kg your kayaker 17 kg weight of the boat ( yes it will be in the equation ) and least a kg for the paddle

so that is now 118 kg from 125 leaving 7 kg for extra weight like wet clothing over dry and we haven,t even thought about fishing gear or a bottle of water

add to this both boats are way to short for the bay - calm days don't always stay that way and a short kayak is hard enough to paddle in good conditions

I never really advise anyone heading out on the bays to paddle anything under 4 meters ( 3.6 meters at a pinch ) and for a guy at 6' 6" and 100 kg you will need the extra weight capacity

kayaks get less stable as they get near or over the max capacity and taller the guy the less stabile as well as the centre of gravity also is higher

both these kayaks are pool toys or calm skinny water boats
So long as the paddler is in water no deeper than they can stand up in, the smaller/shorter yaks will be ok. Otherwise, I’d also strongly recommend a kayak 3.6m or longer - should be plenty that are fairly cheap in the 2nd hand market. Reason being winds on calm days can and do stir up unexpectedly, then when the short kayak can’t be steered back to shore in a strong offshore wind, you may as well be out in 20m of water if you can’t jump out and drag the kayak back to shore.

This is very similar to, if not the same as my first kayak which handles wind fairly well, could probably buy it cheaper than advertised
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/researc ... 1309294911

I am only so cautious of conditions because I have been unexpectedly caught out before. Had I been in a less capable kayak, I would’ve been in strife, probably requiring rescuing.

Return to “General”