Basic Kayak

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Basic Kayak

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:27 am

Hey All.

My sister in law is looking at purchasing a basic/cheap Kayak for my brother to use off Dromana on calm days. Nothing serious, just a casual kayak on a beach day.

Looking for a few suggestions on where to start. Current thoughts are here:

https://www.anacondastores.com/water-sp ... 98727-blue

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/glide-rfx2400- ... rt=5&sz=60

Are these a waste of money or would they be suitable for a 6’6 100kg male?

Cheers

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Re: Basic Kayak

Post by Sebb » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:41 am

For fishing?
Those two are tiny. Not much space. Both with flat bottom.
Means, a side swell can tip you off and into the drink. If you're in the shallow, calm days (no wind, no swell) and a good swimmer, probably okay.
But for fishing, I'd get something a bit better, that is a bit bigger/longer, and stable.
Check out viking kayaks, even the small one are stable as.
Viking ozzie or viking nemo.
One rod reel and a pack of plastic/squid jig, and that's it.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Lennykravitz
Has liked: 11 times

Post by Lennykravitz » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:15 pm

SLH in Mornington have the Fishyak range which are affordable. Haven’t heard anything good about those available from BCF or Anaconda.

yepi'mon
Has liked: 36 times

Post by yepi'mon » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:20 pm

Not for fishing - just general paddling about

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:25 pm

Good day yepi'mon,
I regularly paddle a similar sized kayak on the Myall River and Port Stephens in NSW. I also catch a lot of flathead off the kayak although it is not well suited for fishing and I suffer a lot of spiked feet and legs in the process.
I reckon either of these might do the simple job for you, but a couple of comments:
* Both are quite cheap and quality/long term durability could be suspect.
* Length of well from seat to longest foot brace might be critical for a 6'6 person. If you can't properly extend your legs you can't paddle comfortably.
* 100 kg is getting up in weight even though the stated capacity is around 125 kg. Should be OK though?
* If at all possible try to actually test paddle either or both of these before you buy. If you can't, try to hire something reasonably equivalent in
dimensions and capacity to satisfy yourself that it will do the job comfortably for your brother.
* Back support is very important for any lengthy paddling. Make sure that is not too flimsy.

I suggest you have a more extensive look at what is available and don't be frightened to spend a bit more to get something that will last the distance.

Good luck, Col.

mazman
Has liked: 137 times

Post by mazman » Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:21 am

I don't know the bcf yaks that well but from the anaconda range definitely skip the seaflo. The seak swift should be alright depending on how comfortable you are on yaks if not the rapid will definitely sui just basic paddling, it has a lot more primary stability which is normally what people struggle with
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:28 am

Get the Seak Swift, they are really fast and quite stable, the seat will kill your back so I would put a proper kayak seat on it

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:33 am

Good day again,
Just had a look at the Seak Swift suggested by mazman and Seniorfisho. On paper it looks like a slightly extended version of the Australis Ocky, made in Wollongong, which has served me extremely well. The Seak Swift should suit your brother's needs well - but a proper seat with back support is essential if you want to remain on good terms with him.
Let us know how you get on in due course.

Cheers, Col.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:43 pm

do the quick sums 125 kg max load 100 kg your kayaker 17 kg weight of the boat ( yes it will be in the equation ) and least a kg for the paddle

so that is now 118 kg from 125 leaving 7 kg for extra weight like wet clothing over dry and we haven,t even thought about fishing gear or a bottle of water

add to this both boats are way to short for the bay - calm days don't always stay that way and a short kayak is hard enough to paddle in good conditions

I never really advise anyone heading out on the bays to paddle anything under 4 meters ( 3.6 meters at a pinch ) and for a guy at 6' 6" and 100 kg you will need the extra weight capacity

kayaks get less stable as they get near or over the max capacity and taller the guy the less stabile as well as the centre of gravity also is higher

both these kayaks are pool toys or calm skinny water boats
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:45 pm

cheaterparts wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:43 pm
do the quick sums 125 kg max load 100 kg your kayaker 17 kg weight of the boat ( yes it will be in the equation ) and least a kg for the paddle

so that is now 118 kg from 125 leaving 7 kg for extra weight like wet clothing over dry and we haven,t even thought about fishing gear or a bottle of water

add to this both boats are way to short for the bay - calm days don't always stay that way and a short kayak is hard enough to paddle in good conditions

I never really advise anyone heading out on the bays to paddle anything under 4 meters ( 3.6 meters at a pinch ) and for a guy at 6' 6" and 100 kg you will need the extra weight capacity

kayaks get less stable as they get near or over the max capacity and taller the guy the less stabile as well as the centre of gravity also is higher

both these kayaks are pool toys or calm skinny water boats
It sounds like he's just going to be paddling in the shallows on a nice beach day. He's not going 10k off shore. I don't think he wants the added responsibilty of carting around a big heavy kayak or having to buy a trailor. He probably only wants to spend a few hundred bucks, the sea flow will do him fine

Return to “General”