what's the weirdest thing you have found or seen while fishing?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Re: what's the weirdest thing you have found or seen while fishing?

Post by Kimtown » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:43 am

Paulanderson wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:08 pm
Kimtown asked about the Aurora - we have seen it while camped out at Eucumbene so am sure it could be seen from the Prom sometimes.
That's cool as. Would be a great spectacle when out on the water fishing at night.

Did you know it was due to happen when you witnessed it at Eucumbene, or just dumb luck?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:49 pm

Kimtown wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:43 am
Paulanderson wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:08 pm
Kimtown asked about the Aurora - we have seen it while camped out at Eucumbene so am sure it could be seen from the Prom sometimes.
That's cool as. Would be a great spectacle when out on the water fishing at night.

Did you know it was due to happen when you witnessed it at Eucumbene, or just dumb luck?
From my understanding its not as spectacular for the naked eye compared to photos?
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:52 pm

Andrews wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:31 pm
Too right, the best investment you can make fishing is in quality clothing appropriate for the conditions.
Sun is strong enough even without water glare in the picture.
Poly and nylon are the go to in summer, light weight, breathable and good sun protection.
The best investment you can make in fishing is time.
Quality clothing is nice but you can protect yourself from the sun without looking like a teen groupie.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:47 pm

Ain't nothing worse than starting off a fishing trip than with day 1 sunburn.

If it's gonna be properly hot I'm wearing boardies and thongs with a fair bit of sunscreen on the tops of my feet and back of my knees. Long sleeve Columbia fishing shirt. Buff. Sunnies. Bit of zinc across the nose and topped off with a skitz bucket hat.

Trying to avoid dying of skin cancer too early.

As for weirdest **** I've seen. Catching a little eel that looked like a sea snake off Sorrento night time whiting fishing whilst bioluminescence was in the water. Was just an odd night.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:01 am

iv heard people use light lines for whiting fishing, how long did the fight last with the eel? I have heard eels are pretty strong.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:29 pm

so I'm sure everyone knows about the floods and the rain VIC is experiencing atm, and one of the creeks next to my house went from small to flooded in a few hours.
the water is nearly up to my house but while I was out looking at it, I saw something really weird. this log came flouting past, and on it was some kind of Stumpjumper.
that's pretty weird if you ask me, hopefully when the water goes down I can go find it lol.

pappyy3
Has liked: 4 times

Post by pappyy3 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:27 am

During mid '90's fishing off the Beach at Bemm River. Saw a black cloud in the distance over the water, which was moving towards us.

Realised it was the biggest swarm of bees we'd ever seen. I never realised my fishing buddies could run so fast on sand. :)

Markclkk
Has liked: 14 times

Post by Markclkk » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:31 pm

Years ago, I caught an octopus hiding in empty clam shell. I have no clue of what happens till it decided to take a look at outside world.

re-tyred
Has liked: 374 times

Post by re-tyred » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:39 am

Years ago my brother was trout fishing up the mitta mitta area. he was camped besode a creek. Caught a cpl of trout and was just about to go cook them on the campfire. He was standing in the shallows and heard a clunk clunk near his feet. Looked down and a 6 pack of VB was rattling over the shallows.
good days fishing.... :sr:
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Paulanderson
Has liked: 58 times

Post by Paulanderson » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:00 pm

Kimtown sorry about the slow reply. Sighting the aurora while camped out at Eucumbene was purely luck. The first night it was quite clear and lasted for hours. The following night it was very faint. Another weird thing at Eucumbene was an almost total eclipse of the sun mid afternoon - with the trout exhibiting evening behaviour as it got darker - with lots of fish rising until it became light again.

Return to “General”