Trout, successful invasive species?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Re: Trout, successful invasive species?

Post by Seniorfisho » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Sebb wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:52 pm
frozenpod wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:13 pm
Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:13 am
cobby wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Bullen Merri was stocked with Bass, and they're giant footballs. The depth and colder waters just make them harder to catch
Bullen Merri is a baron wasteland, no structure whatsoever. All the Bass hold in one area because it has a rocky outcrop.
I wouldn't say it's the best lake to stock Bass but if you get one, you certainly know about it
Sounds like a little structure would go a long way, maybe a few decent tree branches and logs.
I've been saying that for years. It's just a volcanic crater, trout seem to thrive in there and so do Bass but they really need to put some snags in there
Yup, everything is better when you got snags. :rf:
https___prod.static9.net.au_fs_af020cbd-2a89-4ea7-9285-1bfb9ca6dd31.jpg
:rf: :rf:

When it warms up a bit we should go for a Bass session there. I know where they are

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:37 pm

is it just me or do those bunnings snags hit different?

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:02 pm

fisho999 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:37 pm
is it just me or do those bunnings snags hit different?
You gotta put the onion on the bottom :-D
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Longbombs
Has liked: 19 times

Post by Longbombs » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:02 pm

Sebb wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:00 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:45 pm
Be great if they stocked some peacock bass, barra, snakeheads or arowana in those crater lakes if the water suited them.
No chance of escaping from there either.
Probably too cold for them. Be great though wouldn't it.
Hazelwood was promising til they shut the power plant down.
Lol the barra died because they ran out of food. Overstocked and they ate all of the cichlids.

The water stayed warm for a whole as Hazelwood was still running to some extent.

They would've died by now because of the colder water but that wasn't the main issue.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:48 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:13 am
cobby wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:28 pm
Sebb wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:04 pm
Prior to salmonid and redfin, (and carp), some lakes can have other natives like cod, yellas, and bass.
But what would lakes like purumbette be like? Just galaxias and that's it?
Bullen Merri was stocked with Bass, and they're giant footballs. The depth and colder waters just make them harder to catch
Bullen Merri is a baron wasteland, no structure whatsoever. All the Bass hold in one area because it has a rocky outcrop.
I wouldn't say it's the best lake to stock Bass but if you get one, you certainly know about it
That's the case with most lakes that aren't formed by damming rivers and creeks in a densely vegetated area. I'd rather throw the kitchen sink at a Bass in a wasteland and donut than get 100 Salmonids of any size in a stupid bite.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:51 pm

Trout fan bois are worse than bream fan bois. Change my mind.

Trout bring lots of $$ to regional areas that otherwise wouldn't provide much in the way of fishing. But closed seasons is stupid imo. We can and do stock them in the millions. Don't get why you need to protect a wild fishery of an imported species when you can supplement stock each year and keep those $$ coming into those areas for a few extra months a year

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:38 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:51 pm

Trout bring lots of $$ to regional areas that otherwise wouldn't provide much in the way of fishing. But closed seasons is stupid imo. We can and do stock them in the millions. Don't get why you need to protect a wild fishery of an imported species when you can supplement stock each year and keep those $$ coming into those areas for a few extra months a year
Yeah, trout fisheries really do help support regional areas.
I think it's an interesting one, the whole idea of a closed season for an invasive species is pretty strange, but if it helps support and maintain the wild fisheries, we should continue the practice. Stocking trout is awesome, but it costs money and required human intervention - if we can achieve similar results with a less proactive and invasive approach, we should do it! Maybe we could achieve the same results without closed season, but I'm happy with whatever protects the wild population.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:22 pm

ducky wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with people targeting bream and trout. Fishing comes in a lot of different forms these days. Why call people fan boys just because they chose to do a different form of fishing to you?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 pm

ducky wrote:

Buy this man a beer.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:25 pm

Seniorfisho wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:22 pm
ducky wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with people targeting bream and trout. Fishing comes in a lot of different forms these days. Why call people fan boys just because they chose to do a different form of fishing to you?
I fish for trout, and to a lesser extent for bream. I don't consider myself a fan boi though.

Have a read of the crazy trout hunters Facebook page. Some good examples of fan bois there.

There's a huge sector of the hardcore trout fishing fraternity that are trying to demand catch and release only in huge sections of vic and nsw trout rivers for their own selfish needs.

It's kind of like people lobbying for further protections of bream. You know, the fish that is in huge numbers in every single estuary south of Queensland and around to wa in one species or another. Like when they banned netting in gippy lakes and peanut fan bois also demanded and received a slot limit on bream for essentially their own selfish needs. I've got nothing against the average bream hunter either for the record.

Return to “General”