Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down * Again take two *

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down * Again take two *

Post by hornet » Mon May 23, 2022 9:54 pm

He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Alvey Reels Australia Closing Down * Again take two *

Post by 4liters » Tue May 24, 2022 10:30 am

Not surprising in the slightest. I don’t think the new products they bought in after the initial shutdown really helped much, apparently the spinning reel was just a Chinese off the shelf model with some cosmetic changes.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 798 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Tue May 24, 2022 12:04 pm

Still the best surf fishing reels you can use but they've just lost their popularity due to all the new stuff around as well as not being much good for casting slugs

Sebb
Has liked: 3009 times

Post by Sebb » Tue May 24, 2022 1:18 pm

"They built them good, people don't need to buy more"
Compared to a lot of things these days where things are easily broken and replaceable, so people buy more.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 pm

Sebb wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 1:18 pm
Compared to a lot of things these days where things are easily broken and replaceable, so people buy more.
They say that but honestly I've never seen anyone use them off the beach here (I know they're less popular here compared with up north).

I think the issue is that there's plenty of similarly priced spinning reels these days that can withstand salt and sand, are easier to use, have a better drag system and are more versatile. I spent $170 on a Penn Spinfisher that survived a week on the bottom of Corio Bay just fine, why on earth would I have bought an Alvey?

I think a better business model would have been to start making tough-as-nails reels similar to Van Staal or Avet.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Tue May 24, 2022 7:02 pm

4liters wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 pm
Sebb wrote:
They say that but honestly I've never seen anyone use them off the beach here (I know they're less popular here compared with up north).

I think the issue is that there's plenty of similarly priced spinning reels these days that can withstand salt and sand, are easier to use, have a better drag system and are more versatile. I spent $170 on a Penn Spinfisher that survived a week on the bottom of Corio Bay just fine, why on earth would I have bought an Alvey?

I think a better business model would have been to start making tough-as-nails reels similar to Van Staal or Avet.
Nice how the hell did you find the Penn after a week sitting at the bottom of the bay

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Post by frozenpod » Tue May 24, 2022 7:28 pm

4liters wrote:
Sebb wrote:

Agreed, high end overhead game reels similar to Avet is what they should of made.

Not average egg beaters when there are several brands that already provide amazing products at very competitive prices.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 24, 2022 7:34 pm

The simple fact is they didn't keep up with changing times.
Lighter more compact spinning, baitcast reels braided lines, lures and graphite rods have changed the fishing scene drastically. It was only a matter of time unfortunately.
Atleast they made it to the 100 year mark, so that's a great achievement for an Australian company.
Cheers

4liters

Post by 4liters » Tue May 24, 2022 8:33 pm

dazz999 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:02 pm
4liters wrote:
Sebb wrote:

Nice how the hell did you find the Penn after a week sitting at the bottom of the bay
I went back to where I dropped it with flippers and a mask I grabbed from Anaconda during the week, and got it

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:55 pm

thinking of getting this

https://alvey.com.au/shop/c60gt/

Return to “General”