7 giller - eating quality

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

7 giller - eating quality

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:54 pm

Hey all.

Keen to see if anyone has first hand experience eating 7 gillers?

I know full well they aren't desirable but part of me believes this has led to assumptions made about their eating quality.

A few years ago I cut up a banjo for a bronzie bait and at the end of the day I decided to give the fillets a crack. I ate them side by side with fresh 4kg gummy and honestly it was next to impossible to tell the apart. You never really hear of anyone eating banjo at all.

The yield of meat off a banjo isn't enough though and i believe it's a waste to kill them for what you'd get so I let them swim.

Friday we released a 20kg ish giller, had a few bite offs and took a 7kg gummy for our troubles. It's got me thinking about having a crack at the smaller gillers as there's plenty of fillets in one. I can hide em in the kill bag to avoid the cleaning table shame... lol.

Anyway. If anyones actually had a crack (not just heard about it) I'm keen to hear your thoughts. I'd prep em the same way I prefer to prep gummies. Which is kill/bleed/gut.

Then fillet later and freeze in vac seal bags for at least a day prior to eating. I find a lot of the ammonia and **** leaves the fillets on the defrost.

denis barden

Re: 7 giller - eating quality

Post by denis barden » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:22 pm

Caught a far few from St Leonards
Tastes the same as Gummy to me as long as its been bleed
Cryovac is ok as well

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:54 pm

Small ones under 5ft fine to treat as Gummy. Any bigger then leave the fillets on the missus cake cooling rack in the fridge overnight to drain before freezing/cooking. Don't overcook or they go tough and don't undercook or they're a bit mushy.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:24 pm

Yeah sounds good. I thought that might have been the case. I'll give the next little one I get a crack and make a call.

Return to “General”