Port welshpool questions

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Port welshpool questions

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:49 am

Hey all.

Heading down to welshpool this weekend for a suss out. Will be there for a couple days. I'd only been there in the past targeting kings and have wanted to go for a bit more of an exploration. This weekend is my chance.

Target is to get some squid/whiting and gummies. The squid and whiting will be easy enough to hunt for. My question with the gummies. Given the proximity to the ocean the majority of the reports I've seen in the past have clear blue water in the background and my intention is to get out the front to drop for them. Should the weather not play ball is it worth anchoring up inside the bay for them? Even though I'm there for the weekend I'll probably get 2 x 5 hour sessions at most so I just want to do it as efficiently as possible.

frozenpod
Has liked: 81 times

Re: Port welshpool questions

Post by frozenpod » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:33 pm

Your boat is not really suited to heading out through the entrance.

Gummies can be found in all the channels just look for the holes and gutters on the map.

Singapore Deep, Franklin channel near the sand banks and Toora Channel near the entrance to Barrys Beach Terminal are always a good locations.

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:08 pm

Cheers re gummy info. I figured it would be all the westernport style haunts but hell it's a bit of forum traffic.

Interesting comment re suitability. Had a few mates take wasps and formulas out the front of welshpool. With a couple doing the refuge cove multi day trip.

I did it a few weeks back in less than ideal conditions in the Barcrusher and it wasn't particularly dangerous. Once you avoid the breaking waves on the clonmel island side.

Forecast for this weekend is pretty good.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:16 pm

Don’t forget the tributaries for a lure sesh.
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

ducky

Post by ducky » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:34 pm

rb85 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:16 pm
Had a summer full of that kind of fishing. I'm heading down to recharge the freezer lol.

mr plow

Post by mr plow » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:22 am

Heaps of gummies inside, try down the Franklin or the Benison channel. If heading outside go right use Navionics to find some reef or change in depth, or go left over to whale bay and anchor up

ducky

Post by ducky » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:08 pm

Cheers gents. I've put together a loose game plan for the weekend and tides. Hopefully the fish play ball.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:42 pm

ducky wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:34 pm
rb85 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:16 pm
Had a summer full of that kind of fishing.
Are the fish in the feeder systems good size ?
Been meaning to give it a go for a while now, just been too lazy.

ducky

Post by ducky » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:28 am

Short answer is yes.

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:30 pm

Drove down Friday arvo. Horrific wind against tide situation. Tried off long jetty but was a complete waste of time.

Woke up Saturday and knocked over some touristy stuff with the family. Hit up most of the towns around greater corner inlet area. Sussed out Agnes falls etc. back port welshpool for the 1pm low. Pumped a heap of nippers with the kids. Another mate came down to join us in the arvo. Launched about 4pm for a quick 90 min sesh. Dropped into a few spots on the run in looking for squid and ting. Found none.

Woke up this morning with the game plan of doing a dawn sesh. Back to checkout at the caravan park at 10 send the wife on her way and then relaunch for the arvo.

Straight down to the entrance this morning. Dropped into a spot I'd been eyeing off. An isolated lump on the side of the channel. Sat on it and within 5 mins of baits being out we had a 9kg gummy on board.

Tried a few other things and apart from some of the largest banjos I've caught and a port Jackson we didn't get much else done.

Retrieved. Packed up the tent and back out. Straight down to the entrance proper. Pulled out and had someone Insta anchor 50m behind. Gave it 20 mins and no touches. Moved to the lump from earlier. Had some activity from the get go but all little flatties and yakkas. Tide stopped moving and a rod buckled. Up came a 17kg gummy.

Some frantic moments with the brand new net parting (rubber mesh, I'm assuming old stock) and we called it for the day.

Just finished cleaning the gummies and about 8 half decent flatties. Was a good day out.

Good proof of concept of my plan to start fishing that area more often. Will start doing some overnighters there when the right weather windows present themselves.

Return to “General”