Telescopic rods

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Telescopic rods

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:59 pm

Hey guys.

Spent the day out of corner inlet chasing kings. No luck on them but in the constant chase of the perfect setup for the boat I’ve determined to get myself a couple more Telescopic rods.

I’m fishing out of a little boat and space is always a premium. I’m slowly going more and more minimalistic in the setup and after catching 40 or so yakkas this afternoon on a disgusting little $15 telescopic rod i scored off Dougie a few years ago I’ve determined that I don’t need to be taking multiple 7 foot light outfits for bait collection and that another 2 telescopic setups kept in the console when not in use would cover everything I need without taking up any deck space.

The question is. What’s the best bang for buck telescopic rod out there? I’ve never really followed this market too closely…

6-7 foot. 2-4kg. Solid butt preferred. It’s will no doubt live with a lure clip and a bead and I’ll swap between squid jigs or sabikis as needed.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Re: Telescopic rods

Post by ben475 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:27 pm

be interesting to see if theres any suggestions.
i bought a cheap telescopic a few years back thinking id throw it in the car incase i wanted to have a quick fish unexpectedly, of course ive never used it.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:32 pm

Just get a bigger boat so you can carry more **** with you
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:39 pm

ben475 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:27 pm
i bought a cheap telescopic a few years back thinking id throw it in the car incase i wanted to have a quick fish unexpectedly, of course ive never used it.

They are completely rubbish to use to be honest. But perfect for that use you mentioned. Or dropping down a sabiki/squid jig.

Throw it under the passenger seat with the reel in the glovebox haha. At worst it sits there unused. I used to keep a small 90mm stormy tube in the car with 2-3 travel rods in it. Very rarely used em though.

As an aside. I tried out a hayabusa jigging sabiki today. It’s effectively a 2 hook sabiki jig with a small metal slug as the weight. It’s bloody effective and far better than dehooking fish with a 1.5m long 6 hook sabiki rig. I’m not 100% certain if it’s technically legal but it’s still 3 less hooks than your average sabiki and used unbaited so I’m fairly comfortable it would pass the fisheries sniff test.

Was that happy with its effectiveness I’m going to tie a bunch up using 25lb for longevity. Figure it’s a good way to use up the trays of 30-60gm slugs I’ve got. Just got to work out what knot to tie the sabiki branches on to have a single strand instead of a dropper loop.

Goony. I move house at the end of the year. Current boat will only just fit in… cheaper to buy a telescopic rod than a new house haha.

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:44 pm

ducky wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:39 pm
ben475 wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:27 pm

They are completely rubbish to use to be honest. But perfect for that use you mentioned. Or dropping down a sabiki/squid jig.

Throw it under the passenger seat with the reel in the glovebox haha. At worst it sits there unused. I used to keep a small 90mm stormy tube in the car with 2-3 travel rods in it. Very rarely used em though.

As an aside. I tried out a hayabusa jigging sabiki today. It’s effectively a 2 hook sabiki jig with a small metal slug as the weight. It’s bloody effective and far better than dehooking fish with a 1.5m long 6 hook sabiki rig. I’m not 100% certain if it’s technically legal but it’s still 3 less hooks than your average sabiki and used unbaited so I’m fairly comfortable it would pass the fisheries sniff test.

Was that happy with its effectiveness I’m going to tie a bunch up using 25lb for longevity. Figure it’s a good way to use up the trays of 30-60gm slugs I’ve got. Just got to work out what knot to tie the sabiki branches on to have a single strand instead of a dropper loop.

Goony. I move house at the end of the year. Current boat will only just fit in… cheaper to buy a telescopic rod than a new house haha.
Sick, where are you moving to? Just moor the boat at Yaringa or something.
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:50 pm

Like a km up the road. Nothing fancy.

But no more big man cave/shed… the dream is over. I suggested to the missus I buy the cheap v17r that came up during the week and she suggested divorce. So I’ve decided it’s probably best to not ask next time. Hahaha

Sebb
Has liked: 3011 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:59 pm

What about Shimano Maikuro telescopic?
Or Daiwa Blazon from overseas.

They have nice rings. Not those glued rings that can come off as you pull and push over time.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:11 pm

ducky wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:50 pm

But no more big man cave/shed… the dream is over. I suggested to the missus I buy the cheap v17r that came up during the week and she suggested divorce. So I’ve decided it’s probably best to not ask next time. Hahaha
So keep the little one and store the big one at Yaringa where the misso won't know about it

bing bong so simple

ducky

Post by ducky » Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:13 pm

4liters wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:11 pm
ducky wrote:

So keep the little one and store the big one at Yaringa where the misso won't know about it

bing bong so simple
Can you do some fancy accounting for me to find an extra $100k plz. I had a quick look in my account and I don’t have it.

This is the current leader. Mostly because the name tickles my funny bone. Defo don’t want to be spending the earth. They’ll be used and abused.
https://www.dinga.com.au/products/shima ... 1312411829

4liters

Post by 4liters » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:11 pm

ducky wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:13 pm
4liters wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:11 pm
ducky wrote:

bing bong so simple
Can you do some fancy accounting for me to find an extra $100k plz. I had a quick look in my account and I don’t have it.

This is the current leader. Mostly because the name tickles my funny bone. Defo don’t want to be spending the earth. They’ll be used and abused.
https://www.dinga.com.au/products/shima ... 1312411829
Sell drugs, no need for fancy accounting

Return to “General”