Amazing sounder

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Amazing sounder

Post by Sebb » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:50 pm

------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Re: Amazing sounder

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:38 am

Something strange about that image. It's updating the fish target as it moves across the screen. Sidescan paints a new image with each step across the screen. Can't get my head around how it would do that.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 am

Basically it has to be a full scan searchlight sonar in vertical mode. I wasn't aware that recreational Sounders had that feature.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:05 am

re-tyred wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 am
Basically it has to be a full scan searchlight sonar in vertical mode. I wasn't aware that recreational Sounders had that feature.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/591379

It's pricey stuff

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:21 am

So to achieve that sort of image you have to move from a "plan" view with each scan stepping across the screen from top to bottom. ( Normal sidescan image). To a side view that no longer moves across the screen but instead is a steady image updated each time a scan is completed.
That has been available on furuno commercial sonar for many years. Hadn't seen it on any sidescan Sounders. Interesting because it requires very good beam discrimination and extremely good vessel stability compensation. I am guessing this would only work that well in a flat calm river and a motionless boat. To get that discrimination you need a very high frequency or a very large transducer.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:05 pm

kinda cool but i also think it detracts from the mystery and fun of fishing a bit.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:34 pm

Ben 475 I agree with you
To me the wizz bang sounders are the same as shiny lures and braid ,all made to grab the fishos dollars.
I use an old Garmin for GPS marks and the depth
The wizz bank ones seem to be over the top for PPB

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 pm

A mates got it on his wasp. Pretty amazing tech. Awesome to see live images of what’s going on. But yeah very expensive and only really useful for those right into their tech. Which rules out 95% of fishos anyway.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:43 pm

ducky wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 pm
A mates got it on his wasp. Pretty amazing tech. Awesome to see live images of what’s going on. But yeah very expensive and only really useful for those right into their tech. Which rules out 95% of fishos anyway.
Yeah if you are talking about WASSP from NZ. I am a factory trained tech for it. Well was. You are talking $30,000 plus sat compass for direction and stability for that. The smaller furuno blackbox 3d scanning sounder is a derivative of it. To do it in a $3000 package means a lot of technical shortcuts. These shortcuts mean as soon as you get deeper and rock and roll the image becomes unstable. Mostly the commercial gear is used for bottom mapping not fish detection.

Snapper Snatcher
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Snapper Snatcher » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:26 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:43 pm
ducky wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:25 pm
Yeah if you are talking about WASSP from NZ. I am a factory trained tech for it. Well was. You are talking $30,000 plus sat compass for direction and stability for that. The smaller furuno blackbox 3d scanning sounder is a derivative of it. To do it in a $3000 package means a lot of technical shortcuts. These shortcuts mean as soon as you get deeper and rock and roll the image becomes unstable. Mostly the commercial gear is used for bottom mapping not fish detection.
I think he means Haines sea wasp
Fishing Victoria Species Comp:

Return to “General”