Amazing sounder

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
denis barden

Re: Amazing sounder

Post by denis barden » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 am

From Purple-Gone are the days of using a sounder for gps marks and depth sounding only.

Had my Garmin plotter for about 5 years cost $600.Never used it for Flathed,Whiting or Squid sounding.
I find it hard to beleive that a sounder could pick up fish 3-4 m down
The old Greeks down St Leonards come back with heaps of fish most days and dont even have a sounder.
They know where to go and know how to fish
Maybe the wizz bang ones ok for deep snapper and king fish not much chop for most of the fish caught in PPB
My thought is people spend too much money and time lookin for the easy way to catch fish instead of going out there and getting them

Kimtown
Has liked: 303 times

Post by Kimtown » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:16 am

denis barden wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 am
From Purple-Gone are the days of using a sounder for gps marks and depth sounding only.

Had my Garmin plotter for about 5 years cost $600.Never used it for Flathed,Whiting or Squid sounding.
I find it hard to beleive that a sounder could pick up fish 3-4 m down
The old Greeks down St Leonards come back with heaps of fish most days and dont even have a sounder.
They know where to go and know how to fish
Maybe the wizz bang ones ok for deep snapper and king fish not much chop for most of the fish caught in PPB
My thought is people spend too much money and time lookin for the easy way to catch fish instead of going out there and getting them
I think some people just like to use the best technology available to them. You can attribute it to any hobby. Fishing, hunting, cars, golf, gaming etc. There’s the older people who like to keep it old school, and not change too much since the days they were kids and there’s the new age people who like the latest technology, experiment with the latest methods etc..

There is no right or wrong, it’s to each their own

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Watch
2:25
6:25
8:00
Pretty cool, but it's like fishing aquarium, lol.

https://youtu.be/j_8Tig_fPTY
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:34 am

I know this thread is a few months old but I priced that ActiveTarget tranducer.

I'm hoping down the track I can get a Lowrance Elite FS 9" sounder (about $1700) at some point, and came across that ActiveTarget transducer. Found the transducer alone costs about $3000 so I guess I'll be giving that a miss for now LOL.

As a sidenote, another reason I like the Elite FS is that I can network my Etec engine to it via NMEA2000, and the sounder has a beautiful built in instrument display for my engine. So not only do I get a mid range modern sounder but an awesome "instrument console" too for free.

Return to “General”