Rec fiehing banned, Port River, SA.

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Rec fiehing banned, Port River, SA.

Post by Sebb » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 am

Was it last year that SA had the snapper ban in place? And there's this. Unsure if its poor management, miss communication or other things, but glad I'm in VIC.
At least there's still plenty of fishing to be had here and VIC fisheries stocks fish, improving access, etc.
Just renewed my VIC fishing license, a small price to pay.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4156183216
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Rec fiehing banned, Port River, SA.

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 am

Got a link to something that's not a rant that starts off with 'the dolphin huggers got their way" ?

I had a look but can't see anything.

Who actually makes this decision, is it the state government or is it made locally?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:50 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:56 am
Got a link to something that's not a rant that starts off with 'the dolphin huggers got their way" ?

I had a look but can't see anything.

Who actually makes this decision, is it the state government or is it made locally?
Yea been trying to find that too. There's one from The Advertiser Adelaidenow, which requires membership to read. Seems like it's still to be proposed. Hence not munch info. Was hoping someone here would know something.
Didn't Mr Bug said he's in SA. Haven't seen Bug for a while.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... 11c87ccfaf
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:41 pm

I'm in SA and have NFI what is happening. A similar attempt about 18 months ago was to ban fishing off Victor Harbor coz "its a whale breeding area"

As tourism is THE major industry in the region and rec fishing brings in heap$$$... it failed.

It seems from some local comments that only rec fishing boats cause the problem, cargo vessels, dolphin watch cruises, commercial fishers etc are not a problem.....
Rec fishers were there first.... get the bloody dolphins out !!!

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Posting the content of the Adelaide Now's Newspaper article titled Heavy line, large hooks face ban in Port River to protect dolphins posted on the 28/10/2020.

Heavy line, large hooks face ban in Port River to protect dolphins
Heavy lines and large hooks could be banned in the Port River to protect dolphins, who have been observed taking fish bait.

A review of recreational fishing activities in the Port River dolphin sanctuary that may result in banning the use of heavy lines, large hooks and some methods has been ordered by the State Government.

The review, being conducted jointly by Primary Industries and the Department for Environment and Water, will recommend measures aimed at mitigating dolphin entanglements in the sanctuary.

If measures such as restricting the use of live baits or heavy lines are introduced, recreational anglers who target large mulloway and kingfish in the Port River system will effectively be excluded from fishing the region.

The review is set to be considered at Thursday’s Minister’s Recreational Fishing Advisory Council meeting, which will then provide advice to those conducting the review.

An agenda paper obtained by The Advertiser reveals Environment Minister David Speirs requested both agencies “work together to explore options that may be available to address the risks posed’’ to the resident dolphins by “some recreational fishing methods in the sanctuary.’’

“Whilst there is an observed history of dolphin entanglements in fishing gear in the ADS, the issue of dolphins taking baits appears to be a more recent phenomenon, coinciding with suspected increased levels of recreational fishing for yellowtail kingfish in the Port River and Barker Inlet regions,’’ the paper, written by PIRSA recreational fishing manager Skye Barrett, states.

The report states there is no evidence which fish are being targeted by anglers, but “anecdotally, it is known that recreational anglers do target larger fish species such as mulloway, kingfish and stingrays in the region.’’

It says observations by rangers and evidence from recreational anglers confirmed that dolphins were attracted to the live or trolled baits used to catch kingfish and a commercial tour operator had witnessed “a dolphin becoming hooked after taking a bait trolled behind a boat’’ in the Port River.

“Given fishing for kingfish in the ADS is expected to increase next month, consideration will need to be given to early implementation of appropriate management arrangements, if required,’’ it states.

It says the aim of the review will be to establish management arrangements that are “simple, reasonable and enforceable’’ and continue to provide for community fishing in the ADS while “at the same time, reducing risks to dolphins posed by some heavier gear and bait combinations.’’

A government spokesperson today said the ADS was home to around 30 resident bottlenose dolphins and “provides many environmental and social benefits.’’

“The ADS is also a key breeding area for fish and recreational fishing – which also provides economic and social benefits - is allowed with some restrictions,’’ the spokesperson said.

“Unfortunately late last year a dolphin died after becoming entangled in the Sanctuary.

“The State Government believes recreational fishing can and should be able to continue to occur in the Sanctuary, but it’s important we review the regulations in place to make sure there are adequate protection for the dolphins.”

The spokesperson said a resident dolphin known as “Marianna’’ was found dead in recent days and while the cause of death was not yet known, it was not related to an entanglement.

Recfish SA chairman Mick Wilson said any restrictions would be “vigorously opposed’’ by the organisation.

“The Greens tried to do this in the past using hearsay and anecdotal information that was never proven to be accurate or truthful,’’ he said.

“When they have some concrete evidence to show fishing with heavy gear is a risk to dolphins in the area then we will actually consider talking about it. The facts show there is not much indication to show this is even the case.’’

Mr Wilson, who is a member of the MRFAC, said he was gathering factual information to take to the meeting on incidents involving dolphins in the Port River to enable “informed debate on the topic’’.

“Considering the Port River is accessed by many, many recreational anglers on a weekly basis, it would be devastating for the sector,’’ he said.

The state government last year introduced speed restrictions in the ADS to reduce the likelihood of dolphins being struck by boats.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:34 pm

That's really interesting Andrew.

I spend a lot of time livebaiting. Like, a lootttttt of time live baiting. I'm also reasonably well connected throughout the subsections of fishing that, at least land based, probably do the majority of the livebaiting up and down the East Coast.

I have never, ever, seen or heard of a live bait being taken by a dolphin. I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone has, but I'm not sure anyone else has either.

Also, as per usual every f-ing time something like this comes up

Recfish SA chairman Mick Wilson said any restrictions would be “vigorously opposed’’ by the organisation.

“The Greens tried to do this in the past using hearsay and anecdotal information that was never proven to be accurate or truthful,’’ he said.

The Greens are not, and have never been in power in SA. This statement has been made directly to a review being conducted by the Department of Primary Industries and the Department of Environment and water, both of which are run by the incumbent government. Know your god damned enemy and direct your anger accordingly.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 pm

Also, and i'm sorry to everyone who's sick of me droning on about this, but this is exactly how misinformation keeps on getting spread. The original Facebook post says

"It would seem we are about to lose some, if not all of the Port River as a recreational fishing venue. The dolphin huggers look like they'll finally get their way and have rec fishing banned in the port.

One obviously unwell dolphin eats a live bait and ends up dead....etc"

then we read the actual article

“The State Government believes recreational fishing can and should be able to continue to occur in the Sanctuary, but it’s important we review the regulations in place to make sure there are adequate protection for the dolphins.”

The spokesperson said a resident dolphin known as “Marianna’’ was found dead in recent days and while the cause of death was not yet known, it was not related to an entanglement."

So to clarify, rec fishing is absolutely not banned.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:34 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:34 pm
That's really interesting Andrew.

I spend a lot of time livebaiting. Like, a lootttttt of time live baiting. I'm also reasonably well connected throughout the subsections of fishing that, at least land based, probably do the majority of the livebaiting up and down the East Coast.

I have never, ever, seen or heard of a live bait being taken by a dolphin. I'm happy to stand corrected if anyone has, but I'm not sure anyone else has either.

Also, as per usual every f-ing time something like this comes up

The Greens are not, and have never been in power in SA. This statement has been made directly to a review being conducted by the Department of Primary Industries and the Department of Environment and water, both of which are run by the incumbent government. Know your god damned enemy and direct your anger accordingly.
I've trolled a live arrow squid through a pod of dolphins and they didn't touch it, I reckon they can see the mono. Being an estuary maybe the water clarity in the Port River isn't as good and they're not realising there's a hook attached.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Andrews
Has liked: 265 times

Post by Andrews » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:40 pm

I think there is are few parts to this article and it's hard to speak to some of them as someone who is unfamiliar of the Port River and the surrounding areas.

The first is that all of these proposed changes are in regards to the Port River Dolphin Sanctuary and recreational fishing within the sanctuary. The issue I have with this is that in my mind it either is, or is not a sanctuary and should be a protected body of water. If you're going to call something a Dolphin Sanctuary, make it a marine park. You're making things complicated if you're blurring those lines.

'The review, being conducted jointly by Primary Industries and the Department for Environment and Water, will recommend measures aimed at mitigating dolphin entanglements in the sanctuary.'

Whilst there is an observed history of dolphin entanglements in fishing gear in the ADS, the issue of dolphins taking baits appears to be a more recent phenomenon, coinciding with suspected increased levels of recreational fishing for yellowtail kingfish in the Port River and Barker Inlet regions,’’ the paper, written by PIRSA recreational fishing manager Skye Barrett, states.'

'“Unfortunately late last year a dolphin died after becoming entangled in the Sanctuary."'

They discuss the concern regarding entanglement, the observation that entanglement has been an issue in the past and then share evidence identifying engagement as the genuine reason to be concerned regarding the dolphins. This poses a much greater risk to dolphins than hooks, understandable dolphins may mistake live baits and hook themselves, but hooks are made to rust out. I think there is less of concern that they'd like us to think.

'The spokesperson said a resident dolphin known as “Marianna’’ was found dead in recent days and while the cause of death was not yet known, it was not related to an entanglement.'

This is what I do not like about this biased reporting, a dolphin has passed away and they are unsure of the cause of death. Yet they find it appropriate to mention it in an article regarding banning recreational fishing to potentially protect the dolphins. It's unfortunate that the dolphin has passed but this this suggestive reporting leads to the speculative implication that recreational fishing either caused or lead to the death of this dolphin.

'“The Greens tried to do this in the past using hearsay and anecdotal information that was never proven to be accurate or truthful,’’ he said.

“When they have some concrete evidence to show fishing with heavy gear is a risk to dolphins in the area then we will actually consider talking about it. The facts show there is not much indication to show this is even the case.’’'

Call it out for what it is, heavy gear fishing is a leading cause of avoidable dolphin deaths. They've mentioned three times that entanglement is of great concern, has previously causes dolphins deaths as recent of this year yet jump to that a few witnesses reckon they saw dolphins going after live baits. The top quote sums it up well. They're all for stopping recreational fishermen because that's a power grab but refuse to do anything about the netters who are doing the real environmental damage. Wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of an industry built upon unsustainable fishing.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Yamashita Maria Japan.

Return to “General”