Fog affecting fishing?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Fog affecting fishing?

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:05 pm

I dont recall anything special happening in the fog.

But there was one time in particular just over a year ago when i was heading out to a mark i have near the City of Launceston wreck when i had to go through a very thick fog bank just on first light. We had an unusually good session on pinkies and a gummy as soon as our first baits hit the water. But we were no longer in the fog bank at that point, so it probably doesnt really count.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:34 am

I took the kayak to the Prom a few years ago, I tried to wait for the fog to clear before launching but some more rolled through as I was clearing Norman Bay.

It was dead flat, completely glassed out and only a tiny swell coming in. The visibility dropped to just a few meters and if I couldn’t hear the gentle splashing of the what swell there was hitting the rocks about 50m away I could’ve been in the middle of nowhere. It was a very cool experience.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:19 am

4liters wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:34 am
It was a very cool experience.
Cool and scary?

I remember I went freshwater fishing landbased that I thought I had walked very far and covered a lot in about two hours (and donut). When the fog lifted, I was only about couple hundred metres from my car, lol.

Lost in time quite literally as I couldn't tell the surrounding. Though it was a place I visited few times, the fog disoriented me.

So maybe my donut trips in fog was because I didn't cover enough grounds/water.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:56 am

Many years ago I had a 4.8 mt half cabin and we used to fish corinella in westernport a lot. One trip when we got there it was foggy we launched the boat then realised I had left my hand held Garmin 12 gps at home . As we sat in the boat we could see the channel markers we decided to go to the channel markers when we got there we could see pelican island, when we got there we could see snapper rocks.
We decided that when we got to the rocks French island was straight ahead once we could see French island turn left tracking parallel to the island to get to where we wanted to fish just out from Elizabeth island.

Every thing went According to plan I upped the power and we were moving for quite a while when something came into view I thought it was the ferry jetty on French island. So I turned left all of a sudden my depth sounder started beeping depth alarm and rocks appeared in view. I pulled the throttle back and hit reverse.

We stopped thank god. It was settlement point the tip of corinella we realised what we had done once we rounded snapper rocks instead of going straight we had traveled in a big arc turning almost full circle. Still desperate to go fishing we headed back to snapper rocks but this time I looked at the compass whilst my mate kept a look out and we went at half speed.

This time it all worked out fine but we learnt a valuable lesson about disorientation in fog.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Nude up wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:56 am
Many years ago I had a 4.8 mt half cabin and we used to fish corinella in westernport a lot. One trip when we got there it was foggy we launched the boat then realised I had left my hand held Garmin 12 gps at home . As we sat in the boat we could see the channel markers we decided to go to the channel markers when we got there we could see pelican island, when we got there we could see snapper rocks.
We decided that when we got to the rocks French island was straight ahead once we could see French island turn left tracking parallel to the island to get to where we wanted to fish just out from Elizabeth island.

Every thing went According to plan I upped the power and we were moving for quite a while when something came into view I thought it was the ferry jetty on French island. So I turned left all of a sudden my depth sounder started beeping depth alarm and rocks appeared in view. I pulled the throttle back and hit reverse.

We stopped thank god. It was settlement point the tip of corinella we realised what we had done once we rounded snapper rocks instead of going straight we had traveled in a big arc turning almost full circle. Still desperate to go fishing we headed back to snapper rocks but this time I looked at the compass whilst my mate kept a look out and we went at half speed.

This time it all worked out fine but we learnt a valuable lesson about disorientation in fog.
Did you get few fish at least after all that?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 pm

Sebb wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:46 pm
Nude up wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:56 am

Did you get few fish at least after all that?
If I remember right we caught 17 snapper in that deep hole off cowes and 2 gummies we also forgot out hats left them in the car so we had knotted white rags on our heads we looked like a pair of Maltese concreters

Fish-cador
Has liked: 10 times

Post by Fish-cador » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:16 pm

I heard this (the fog) is the reason why some people love fishing in webb dock.
OF ALL THE THINGS I LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST.
====
Words of wisdom:
"I will never argue with an idiot. He might drag me down to his level then beat me with experience"
====

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 pm

4liters wrote:
I took the kayak to the Prom a few years ago, I tried to wait for the fog to clear before launching but some more rolled through as I was clearing Norman Bay.

It was dead flat, completely glassed out and only a tiny swell coming in. The visibility dropped to just a few meters and if I couldn’t hear the gentle splashing of the what swell there was hitting the rocks about 50m away I could’ve been in the middle of nowhere. It was a very cool experience.
If you're happy to share them those photos were incredible.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:42 pm

DougieK wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:53 pm
4liters wrote:

If you're happy to share them those photos were incredible.
They're probably still here somewhere, I'm sure I did a report.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:57 pm

I remember someone posting pictures maybe here or maybe Vyak when fog closed in on them off Ricketts Point (IIRC) and they were lucky they had their phone with them to know which way to paddle back to shore.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Return to “General”