Too many rods

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Too many rods

Post by 4liters » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:45 am

I agree. It took me less than a year from when I started fishing to give up on piers and start surf and yak fishing.

Get some roof racks, a second hand hobie and dont push the safety boundary too far in terms of the places you fish and you’ll have a much nicer time than you would jockeying for spots on a pier.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:04 am

Wouldn’t go near a pier in the bay. Or probably anywhere to be truthful. People can be unbelievably selfish, I’d rather avoid them completely.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:35 am

Last time I fished on a pier, a guy saw me land a couple of small bay trouts, then came right next to me like within a metre and then asked for some bait.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:38 pm

Yeah, definitely good advice about moving away from the piers and getting either a kayak or boat. That's my plan at least - Plan on getting a nice second hand ally boat, but before that I need to organize finishing up renting my current apartment, securing a property down here and upgrading the car while also moving into a Geelong based Gov role.

Yeah a kayak would be easier and cheaper, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going solo fishing and theres also over winter.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

denis barden

Post by denis barden » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:00 pm

Yes less rods the better on a Pier.
I fish a bit differently from a boat
When after Whiting I take 5 rigged rods
Squid I take 4 rigged rods
Gars I take 3 rigged rods
I fish for a specific species
Nothing worst is when the bite is on and you get a snag or some guy swallows a hook and it breaks off
I just grab another rod and dont waste time re rigging in the boat
Works for me

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:40 pm

I only can fish off piers and I catch plenty my advice is that when you are fishing off piers take 3 rods one for lures one with a float and one for bait the main problems are peoples selfishness if you catch a salmon or a squid and people get to lose and start casting over you and causing tangles tell them to move away because you were there first amd if they don’t listen wait till there nearly in then cast here they are fishing so they have no choice but to move don’t encroach on others just relax where you are because salmon move around and you can catch them anywhere as do squid so just take your time out in the hrs and you will get fish

Return to “General”