Too many rods

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ChrisTaylor
Has liked: 27 times

Too many rods

Post by ChrisTaylor » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm

I'm biased, I guess -- one rod + one backpack is enough for me, given I fish with lures (in one form or another) -- and I'm expecting some ... negativity in response to this, but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on limiting the number of rods a person can have on a pier. I mean, more than they are limited currently.

I'm not talking about boats, or even beaches. I see no reason why the limit should drop down from 4 (or 2). If you're at Gunnamatta or Venus Bay everyone has a lot of real estate to play with. If you're on a boat? So long as you're respecting the regulations, you're on your own floating bit of real estate. But on a pier 4 seems somewhat ... excessive. Especially when everyone and their hundred-or-so best friends want to bag out on gars, it seems a bit much for one human to rock out 4 rods and claim a few metres of pier 'for England'. 2 seems reasonable -- especially if you're, say, passively fishing one and actively using a squid jig (or just plain *holding*) the other.

I've heard and understand, I guess, the arguments about flog blockers -- i.e. demarcating a certain chunk of space as your own so no one casts over you -- but it also seems a bit much when one guy, potentially, can take up the whole end of a pier.

It's possible that maybe this is less a 'rule' thing and maybe about choosing the time and place to set up 'half of BCF' on your local pier -- i.e. if there are a half dozen people spread across one pier you're not causing problems for anyone, but if there are 100 or so people on the southern side of Frankston then maybe the individual needs to reduce the amount of territory they occupy.

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Re: Too many rods

Post by Andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:20 pm

I think it's about being fair to everyone else when you're fishing on a pier, one rod or four.
Give each other space, help each other and bring a good conversation or story.

My preference is now three rods, but that doesn't mean they're all in the water!
My setup for squid and mixed species.

1x EGI Finesse rod for squid.
1X ultra-light Finesse 1-2kg rod running either the float for gars, or micro plastics for tommies, yakka or trevally.
1X 2-4KG for soft plastics if I'm running a float on the UL.

99% of the time they're sitting dry, but they're handy when you need them.
The amount of times I've had a squid follow a soft plastic, or a fish follow a squid jig! They're ready to rock when the action happens!
Last edited by Andrews on Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:44 pm

One of the reasons I avoid pier fishing is because of inconsiderate people who take over large portions of them. 2 rods should do it but I don’t care at all because I’d rather trek somewhere without the crowds.

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:59 pm

I might add that they are great places to take kids fishing though. My son couldn’t give a stuff about fishing so it’s definitely not an issue.

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:49 pm

ChrisTaylor wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:48 pm
I'm biased, I guess -- one rod + one backpack is enough for me, given I fish with lures (in one form or another) -- and I'm expecting some ... negativity in response to this, but I'm wondering what the thoughts are on limiting the number of rods a person can have on a pier. I mean, more than they are limited currently.

I'm not talking about boats, or even beaches. I see no reason why the limit should drop down from 4 (or 2). If you're at Gunnamatta or Venus Bay everyone has a lot of real estate to play with. If you're on a boat? So long as you're respecting the regulations, you're on your own floating bit of real estate. But on a pier 4 seems somewhat ... excessive. Especially when everyone and their hundred-or-so best friends want to bag out on gars, it seems a bit much for one human to rock out 4 rods and claim a few metres of pier 'for England'. 2 seems reasonable -- especially if you're, say, passively fishing one and actively using a squid jig (or just plain *holding*) the other.

I've heard and understand, I guess, the arguments about flog blockers -- i.e. demarcating a certain chunk of space as your own so no one casts over you -- but it also seems a bit much when one guy, potentially, can take up the whole end of a pier.

It's possible that maybe this is less a 'rule' thing and maybe about choosing the time and place to set up 'half of BCF' on your local pier -- i.e. if there are a half dozen people spread across one pier you're not causing problems for anyone, but if there are 100 or so people on the southern side of Frankston then maybe the individual needs to reduce the amount of territory they occupy.
Great topic there is alot i agree with you i think 2 set bait rod,s per person on a pier let everybody have a chance to fish the same pier. Why i come to this conclusion is prime example brighton pier people get there early to say claim there spot 3 people space out 4 rod,s each and take out that whole side of the pier (snapper fever) as for gar,s i will out fish a guy using 4 float rod,s to my one rod any day off the week why float goes down strike straight away bang fish on i tryed to float rod,s for gar,s too hard

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 pm

I gave up on pier fishing because of the crowds. I used to take 4 rods with me but eventually I reduced it because I was missing bites and so on - I was really just hoping that more rods would make up for my lack of fishing ability. Sometimes I'll take 4 with me to the beach but it's easier to manage in that situation, big baits less likely to be picked away, more space to spread out, bigger target species so the bites are more obvious.

I think reducing the rod limit would make piers a lot more welcoming places to fish for more people, although I imagine there would be a large outcry from some if it was implemented.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:22 pm

On big ledge adventures II carry 3 rods. A lightspin / livebait collection rod, in the form of my salmon stick. A heavy spin rod with a big boy reel on it for casting big lures, and my livebaiting setup. Sometimes on a particularly hard to get to ledge i'll just use the heavy spin as a double to livebait with.

Any more is utterly impractical and leads to more lost fish. The only reason I can see to ever fish 4 bait rods land based is if you're at brighton or mornington with 1000 other people and want to increase the chance that the two snapps that get caught there this week take your bait and not the guy next to you.

It pretty much doesn't matter where you are, if the access is good and the fish are on someone is going to come fish on top you.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Andrews
Has liked: 268 times

Post by Andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:05 pm

I couldn't imagine using any more than one floats rod for gars, I struggle with one sometimes when they're picky and nibbling softly! haha

I think it's handy having 2-3 rods if you're targeting multiple species, EGI rods are great for squid, perhaps not the best for whiting!
Anything that makes the pier friendlier, more welcoming to young families and people getting into fishing I'd support.
Amateur Fisherman, South West Victoria / - Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/fishingandrew/ Sponsors: Yamashita Australia, Sunline & Gomexus.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Post by Sebb » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:32 pm

Yeah should be all about the consideration.
I mean, if the whole place is empty, sure go ahead use four rods, it's allowed atm. But when it's high season with a lot of people on the pier, then drop to three, two or even one. So there's enough space to share with everyone else.
It's a public place after all.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:43 am

Good topic, yes drop the rod limmit to 1 per person. Still won't find a spot on a busy day but atleaste more fishos can have a chance with a line in the water and not the same mob with 20 rods between 5 ppl taking up the entire end of a pier, same mob that tells you to get lost when you walk near them with 1 lure rod in your hand. Honestly I avoid these places and head for a rock ledge or rock groin and enjoy the peace n quiet. Another good idea is maybe have a time limmit like parking cars, 5 hrs stay per fisho then leave so others can stay their 5 hrs during busy peak. Don't know how that'd get policed but public car parks with time limmit works why can't this idea right? Just an idea anyways. Great to see others input

Return to “General”