Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Texas wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 pm
My daughter, who has been working from home 2 days a week, returns to full time work on the 1st of June (in the office).
Anyone else been given a "return to work" timeframe ?????
Gra
Yeah.... 2021 lol.

I did a few chef shifts at the Alfred hospital over the last few weeks, but there is no work there. So now i am cleaning tram stops for the moment. If anyone see's the people in orange hi-vis cleaning tram stops... be nice to them, most of us are hospitality workers from the MCG (chefs, waiters, barmen, kitchen hands etc) that are temporarily out of work.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 pm

croe04 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Texas wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 pm
Thanks for the video, it explains heaps.
I can see where the new method is better for such things as simultaneous equations and quadratic functions etc, while the older version is fine for simple multiplication.
But, just a question, wtf are simultaneous equations & quadratic functions ?????
Why We did logarithms, I never really understood
A fraction of my younger days
Gra
Quadratic function is an algebraic expression that looks like f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c and takes the form of a parabola on a cartesian plane

Simultaneous equations are a pair of equations like 5x + 2y = 11 and 2y - 3x = 9 which are subtracted from eachother to find the value of the unknowns (x and y)

Finally getting some use out of my highschool maths courses
Even for algebra that second method confuses me, why make it so convoluted when most of it's done in your head?
Thanks croc, for your examples, I remember them, but, wouldn't know how to work them out anymore.
Your reference to parabola on a Cardassian plane baffles me a bit.
Parabola is something to do with a cone, cardassian planes (ships) are not cone shaped
High on maths
Gra

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 21, 2020 2:20 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:18 pm
croe04 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Texas wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 pm
Thanks for the video, it explains heaps.
I can see where the new method is better for such things as simultaneous equations and quadratic functions etc, while the older version is fine for simple multiplication.
But, just a question, wtf are simultaneous equations & quadratic functions ?????
Why We did logarithms, I never really understood
A fraction of my younger days
Gra
Quadratic function is an algebraic expression that looks like f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c and takes the form of a parabola on a cartesian plane

Simultaneous equations are a pair of equations like 5x + 2y = 11 and 2y - 3x = 9 which are subtracted from eachother to find the value of the unknowns (x and y)

Finally getting some use out of my highschool maths courses
Even for algebra that second method confuses me, why make it so convoluted when most of it's done in your head?
Thanks croc, for your examples, I remember them, but, wouldn't know how to work them out anymore.
Your reference to parabola on a Cardassian plane baffles me a bit.
Parabola is something to do with a cone, cardassian planes (ships) are not cone shaped
High on maths
Gra
Too many cones from the look of it
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 pm

If you get really high on maths you end up with a Mandelbrot set

2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Texas

Post by Texas » Thu May 21, 2020 2:46 pm

4liters wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:25 pm
If you get really high on maths you end up with a Mandelbrot set

In my day a Mandelbrot set was called psychedelia
Don't remember numbers being involved
Gra

Edit - watched a video of a Mandelbrot set, very interesting
Last edited by Texas on Thu May 21, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Texas

Post by Texas » Thu May 21, 2020 2:49 pm

Too many"BIG" words being used in this thread

Gra

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu May 21, 2020 3:58 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:50 am
It got taken off facebook for some reason.

But this is pretty much my exact experience trying to help my 12yo with homeschool maths, and i'm a god damned teacher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYk3tsUH1x8
LMAO :rf: :rf:

She lost me at the 0:24 mark onward ... was more interested in watching Mr Firefighter strutting his stuff.

Not sure why our modern society is dead set about reinventing the wheel when it is not broken?? My only explanation from the corporate day was each new head honcho that took over needed to be seen to do something so he/she will look for some new next trend thing to implement and replace the previous system - more often then not he/she doesn't stay too long in the organisation.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Mattblack
Has liked: 625 times

Post by Mattblack » Thu May 21, 2020 4:05 pm

Texas wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:49 pm
Too many"BIG" words being used in this thread

Gra
I'm with you....thank Christ someone invented Google

VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Post by VooDoo » Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Mattblack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:00 pm
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Texas wrote:
My daughter, who has been working from home 2 days a week, returns to full time work on the 1st of June (in the office).
Gra
I'm back on Monday, even though Grade 3-6 students (my customer base) aren't back then. I'm a science/technology teacher, and my program is all hands-on -- whether they're using computers or doing simple woodwork or messing around with little experiments. I haven't heard for certain yet, but I'm quite confident all of that's going out the window for at least the next few months. So I'm back, but won't be in Kansas any more.
As a father of 2 primary school children, I applaud you, DougieK and all the teachers out there.
You all need to have your salaries doubled and a public holiday in your honor....you couldn't pay me enough to do your job, I only had a taste & it was fkn awful.

Personally I think the teaching profession is way undervalued in our society.

Overseas they even have a day dedicated to the teachers - past and present. The kids are taught to respect their teachers and will show gratitude to their current or past teachers on this day with gifts or card messages. Often then not, these teachers/students relationship is carried forward long into the future.

Just remember during school term, your kids are actively at school more than they are at home and the teachers can shape and mold them into a better person in the future. So next time you get a chance to meet up with your kids teachers - give them the respect and gratitude they all deserve. Most of the teachers i known have chosen the profession due to passion more than financial returns - any appreciation you shown twill be encouragement for them.

My hats off to all the teachers out there - not just now but have always :nw: :nw:

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm

VooDoo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:00 pm
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Texas wrote:
Gra
I'm back on Monday, even though Grade 3-6 students (my customer base) aren't back then. I'm a science/technology teacher, and my program is all hands-on -- whether they're using computers or doing simple woodwork or messing around with little experiments. I haven't heard for certain yet, but I'm quite confident all of that's going out the window for at least the next few months. So I'm back, but won't be in Kansas any more.
As a father of 2 primary school children, I applaud you, DougieK and all the teachers out there.
You all need to have your salaries doubled and a public holiday in your honor....you couldn't pay me enough to do your job, I only had a taste & it was fkn awful.

Personally I think the teaching profession is way undervalued in our society.

Overseas they even have a day dedicated to the teachers - past and present. The kids are taught to respect their teachers and will show gratitude to their current or past teachers on this day with gifts or card messages. Often then not, these teachers/students relationship is carried forward long into the future.

Just remember during school term, your kids are actively at school more than they are at home and the teachers can shape and mold them into a better person in the future. So next time you get a chance to meet up with your kids teachers - give them the respect and gratitude they all deserve. Most of the teachers i known have chosen the profession due to passion more than financial returns - any appreciation you shown twill be encouragement for them.

My hats off to all the teachers out there - not just now but have always :nw: :nw:
Whilst I do agree with the sentiment of your post, looking back at when my children were at school they came home brainwashed by the teachers political thinking, if they stuck to teaching instead of reinventing history and political indoctrination the kids may actually learn something. Leaving me to do the brainwashing

Return to “General”