Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
VooDoo
Has liked: 165 times

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by VooDoo » Thu May 21, 2020 5:33 pm

Nude up wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:39 pm
VooDoo wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm
Mattblack wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 4:00 pm
ChrisTaylor wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 3:31 pm
Texas wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:31 pm
My daughter, who has been working from home 2 days a week, returns to full time work on the 1st of June (in the office).
Anyone else been given a "return to work" timeframe ?????
Gra
I'm back on Monday, even though Grade 3-6 students (my customer base) aren't back then. I'm a science/technology teacher, and my program is all hands-on -- whether they're using computers or doing simple woodwork or messing around with little experiments. I haven't heard for certain yet, but I'm quite confident all of that's going out the window for at least the next few months. So I'm back, but won't be in Kansas any more.
As a father of 2 primary school children, I applaud you, DougieK and all the teachers out there.
You all need to have your salaries doubled and a public holiday in your honor....you couldn't pay me enough to do your job, I only had a taste & it was fkn awful.

Personally I think the teaching profession is way undervalued in our society.

Overseas they even have a day dedicated to the teachers - past and present. The kids are taught to respect their teachers and will show gratitude to their current or past teachers on this day with gifts or card messages. Often then not, these teachers/students relationship is carried forward long into the future.

Just remember during school term, your kids are actively at school more than they are at home and the teachers can shape and mold them into a better person in the future. So next time you get a chance to meet up with your kids teachers - give them the respect and gratitude they all deserve. Most of the teachers i known have chosen the profession due to passion more than financial returns - any appreciation you shown twill be encouragement for them.

My hats off to all the teachers out there - not just now but have always :nw: :nw:
Whilst I do agree with the sentiment of your post, looking back at when my children were at school they came home brainwashed by the teachers political thinking, if they stuck to teaching instead of reinventing history and political indoctrination the kids may actually learn something. Leaving me to do the brainwashing
Nude Up - you have a point there.

However, we do get "brainwashed" everywhere we go in our society - even here on a fishing forum!! The reinvention of history and political indoctrination is not the teacher fault IMHO but more to do with the curriculum being set by the department education of the day - be it the left or the right or the middle. These ideology is not right or wrong but just a different angle to look at history or a political issue. It is no harm for your kids to know about them and you are still able to persuade their thinking if your argument is strong enough. But without different viewpoints being put out there then you and I and everyone else wouldn't have so much freedom and privilege as we have at present - there wouldn't have any wind of change to make the world better.

"VooDoo .... WhoDoo .... YouDoo .... VooDoo" The Bug (Bugatti) S.A. [2019]

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 am

DougieK wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:32 am
cobby wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:18 am
And how do you go about keeping up with the new fandangled changes to working things out? It's mightily embarrassing to have a teacher email back a year 8 maths test with a giant fail mark because the way you learnt to work it out in apparent ancient times and advised the kid to do is the complete opposite of what 13 year olds learn now. Even though the answers to all 63 equations were correct....
Did you see the firefighter maths video on facebook?

This is, exactly, the problem. People keep on trying to fix things that aren't broken. An awful lot of the meetings, paperwork, training, accreditation, etc comes from higher ups trying not to get sued. You're expected to redesign the wheel, but using squares, every second week. Chris might have a different opinion but i feel like about 50% of the time I spent doing 'things' that someone decided were necessary was a complete waste. The endless staff meetings that dont' seem to actually do anything, the new 45 minute training video that tells us things like 'wash your hands', the constant revision of literally everything you do and teach, it's just freaking endless. The last thing the agency i worked for emailed me was literally 30 minutes of government training that amounted to 'wash your hands and cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze'.
Haven't seen that video. But suffice to say her maths teacher is the complete opposite of Chris' attitude and wasn't to fond of my email reply that went along the lines of "I would've thought achieving 100% correct final answers in a test for something that unlike English can not be subjective would be worth more than a 33% fail mark for a 13yo hormonal teenager...."

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri May 22, 2020 10:47 am

cobby wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:41 am
Haven't seen that video. But suffice to say her maths teacher is the complete opposite of Chris' attitude and wasn't to fond of my email reply that went along the lines of "I would've thought achieving 100% correct final answers in a test for something that unlike English can not be subjective would be worth more than a 33% fail mark for a 13yo hormonal teenager...."
Maths isn't about getting the right answer it's about learning the process and skill required to learn more maths. As the skill progress the apparrentness of the practical application for each one decreases, which makes it harder to engage people in. In this case the process is woefully inefficient, but you need to read and understand the instructions. Coming to the right answer is no good if the next level of what you're doing requires and expansion of the process being used. The problem teachers run into, and parents, including myself have, is that the purpose of the process doesnst become apparent until about year 10. Telling a 12yo , or even his parent, 'this is something you might need to know eventually maybe 3 or 4 years from now in order to solve an equation that has no practical application outside this tiny little niche in technical mathematics which even then you'll most likely never use again' is really, really difficult. In my opinion + - X / , basic geometry and algebra, plus some ideas about statistics and how they work is sufficient for 99% of anything anyone is ever going to do.

Now try explaining that to a 13yo that just wants to get the answer so he can go play fortnite. It's a lost cause. I'm guilty of exactly the same thing. "Just do it so we can go fishing" has come up quite a few times, the video above with the fire fighter being a prime example.

I asked a maths teacher who trains with me, i'll see what he responds with.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 29, 2020 10:18 am

Last edited by purple5ive on Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 am

Yeah we were all set to move back to the office from Monday but the partners obviously saw the news and noped out of that idea. Not very willingly it must be said, although I'm sure Andrews has been referred to by more offensive names than Captain Dicksnap lol
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 am

4liters wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:57 am
Yeah we were all set to move back to the office from Monday but the partners obviously saw the news and noped out of that idea. Not very willingly it must be said, although I'm sure Andrews has been referred to by more offensive names than Captain Dicksnap lol
Being from SA and I have not seen the news (yours if that is the case) and not up to date with Victorian easing of restrictions , , , , why did the partners nope out? Is it due to restriction conditions or a concern they might have?

Cheers, Bugs

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am

Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 am
4liters wrote:
Being from SA and I have not seen the news (yours if that is the case) and not up to date with Victorian easing of restrictions , , , , why did the partners nope out? Is it due to restriction conditions or a concern they might have?

Cheers, Bugs
just click on my LOL post above.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Fri May 29, 2020 11:46 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:28 am
Bugatti wrote:
4liters wrote:

Cheers, Bugs
he can't because the link is broken
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Fri May 29, 2020 11:52 am

purple5ive wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
4liters wrote:

Cheers, Bugs
page not found.JPG

hahahaha , , , , um , , , , I don't get it :(

You Victorians have an odd sense of humour

Cheers, Bugs

purple5ive

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 29, 2020 12:00 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 11:52 am
purple5ive wrote:
Bugatti wrote:
4liters wrote:

Cheers, Bugs

page not found.JPG

hahahaha , , , , um , , , , I don't get it :(

You Victorians have an odd sense of humour

Cheers, Bugs
oh.. Not sure what happened there, ive made a new LOL

Return to “General”