Covid-19 discussion

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Re: Covid-19 discussion

Post by Boonanza » Mon May 11, 2020 9:13 pm

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 pm
Well this has really hit home today.

I found out that a good mate of mine from work has passed away, he was about my age (41) and a really well liked guy. They are saying it was a heart attack, but i bumped in to another guy from work only last week who mentioned that he was worried about this person and that he thought he wasnt handling being out of work and being in lockdown. I really feel for his wife and kid.

I shouldnt speculate on what happened as i really dont know. But either way there is no doubt the stress of our current situation will have contributed in some way.
Sorry to hear Steve that is very young and terrible for his family. Condolences to his Family,yourself and your workmates.
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Mon May 11, 2020 10:39 pm

Wow, sorry to hear for you and all those close to him

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:55 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 8:22 pm
Well this has really hit home today.

I found out that a good mate of mine from work has passed away, he was about my age (41) and a really well liked guy. They are saying it was a heart attack, but i bumped in to another guy from work only last week who mentioned that he was worried about this person and that he thought he wasnt handling being out of work and being in lockdown. I really feel for his wife and kid.

I shouldnt speculate on what happened as i really dont know. But either way there is no doubt the stress of our current situation will have contributed in some way.
Condolences Steveo
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 12, 2020 11:41 am

Not good news mate, very sorry to hear this...

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Tue May 12, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks guys. It was definitely a shock. It just goes to show that some people are doing it a lot tougher than others. Most of us are a bit annoyed at the situation but that is nothing to what that family must be going through now. Unfortunately its the second unexpected loss we have had at work in just over 12 months. I guess these things happen when you work in such a large work place, but it is always a shock.
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 12, 2020 7:55 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-12/ ... s/12234680

Could all these "Asymptomatic" people be fake positives?

What does that say to the numbers of people they are reporting having Covid?

Could people that just have the normal flu be showing as fake positives that's why they are getting over it without any trouble?

Could there be fake negatives as well and there are people out and about thinking they don't have it but really do?

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue May 12, 2020 8:13 pm

The test they use is called a PCR test that detects a RNA sequence that is specific to the virus. There have been some issues with them (famously in the US where the CDC tried to design their own test rather than using the WHO test) but generally they are reliable.

It is not possible for other viruses (even other coronaviruses like the ones that cause the common cold) to give a positive test as it needs RNA from this particular strain of coronavirus to work.

When there is a number of odd test results in a single batch it could be that the tests got contaminated or some other processing error. A retest should sort it out.

If a large numbers of asymptomatic cases were in fact false positives that would actually be very bad news because it would imply that the fatality rate is much higher than we thought. The number of people dying from it is the same but the number of people infected would be smaller.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 pm

China is now getting more positive cases after relaxing the rules . Looks like round 2 is around the corner . I hope not but it's proving otherwise

Sinsemilla

Post by Sinsemilla » Tue May 12, 2020 9:02 pm

The Gov. really needs to get cracking on researching this and developing our own testing

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Wed May 13, 2020 5:05 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:34 pm
China is now getting more positive cases after relaxing the rules . Looks like round 2 is around the corner . I hope not but it's proving otherwise
Fairly predictable really. I don't know about the whole second wave thing happening yet, it seems more like they didn't stamp it out properly the first time and someone was still contagious once they unwound the restrictions. Or maybe someone bought it in from elsewhere in the country as they've been dealing with a few outbreaks in the north near the Russian border.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Return to “General”