Yabbies tell me somethings in the air

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
trout-hunter
Has liked: 8 times

Yabbies tell me somethings in the air

Post by trout-hunter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:36 pm

Right, ive had yabbies for years and years, dams full + inside with my fish + in bath tubs in the yard.. the ones in the bath tubs are acting a bit odd, not as dormant as usual for this time of year and there huddling up togeather. Now yabbies are extremely sensitive to air quality and toxins in the water, if you fill up the car with petrol before trying to catch some yabbies they can smell the fuel and are put off by it, they also sence static in our hair.. now a few years back i let off a bug bomb in the house, the only thing it killed was my yabbies i had on the verandah and the tank had a cover.. does anyone know why my yabbies out side are acting in this way? Active in the cold and huddling togeather.. sort of like following the leader.. any one know what this could be??

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Yabbies tell me somethings in the air

Post by 4liters » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Are you at home with the heater on more?
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Could it be due to the strange weather we are having.. hot one week, freezing the next?
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:09 pm

I am home more but the heaters off as the kids are in and out leaving doors open continuously, one thing i reckon it could be is something ive just thought of, ive never had a problem with birds before and latley ive been noticing lots of crows! Maby the yabbies are huddling togeather to look bigger in the same way fish school together, this could also be why they are not sleeping. Wonder if the crows are causing trouble when we are inside!

Troy McLure
Has liked: 140 times

Post by Troy McLure » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:18 pm

After reading different threads on here lately I’d say it has a lot to do with the 5G network.

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:21 pm

I reckon it’s because there are less cars on the roads less carbon monoxide being released. Look at the instances of animals coming into towns due not as many people out.i have noticed there are more birds around than usual.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 pm

trout-hunter wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:09 pm

I am home more
Do you think the extra activity at home has spooked them, to huddle. Might be also extra vibration of people traffic that they may be picking up on.

Very interesting behaviour (including what you mentioned). I never knew that about Yabbies

trout-hunter wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:36 pm

a few years back i let off a bug bomb
You let off a bug bomb :o_0:

Lucky I live interstate :-D

Cheers, Bug

trout-hunter

Post by trout-hunter » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:43 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 pm
trout-hunter wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:09 pm

I am home more
Do you think the extra activity at home has spooked them, to huddle. Might be also extra vibration of people traffic that they may be picking up on.

Very interesting behaviour (including what you mentioned). I never knew that about Yabbies

trout-hunter wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:36 pm

a few years back i let off a bug bomb

Cheers, Bug
Yeah im not a fan of any sort of poison to animals or plants! But having so much water around the mozzies got out of control one summer, couldn't handle it so in order to get a good nights sleep i had to bomb the house before i went out. Yabbies didn't die instantly from it though, it was like there brains had turned to mush.. yeah yabbies are good indicators of anything out of the ordinary, they will be first to dissapere if somethings not right. Put a blown up balloon on a tank with yabbies in it and there antennas go crasy like a tv picking up to much static.. maby its why there called antennas?

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:53 pm

trout-hunter wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:43 pm
Bugatti wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:23 pm

Cheers, Bug

Yeah im not a fan of any sort of poison to animals or plants!

I agree with the minimal poisons (be good to have none but they are useful at times).

I used to do a lot of weed killing with those weed killers but had noticed the veggies dwindling over the years. Must have a residual leaching effect in the soil.

Now, I Whipper Snipper (if that's a phrase) and have the garden a bit more "rustic" and all the plants seem to be getting back to normal.

Cheers, Bug

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:06 pm

Did they just turn a 5g tower on near you by any chance?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Return to “General”