Corona virus part 2

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
piscateur
Has liked: 63 times

Re: Corona virus part 2

Post by piscateur » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 am

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:08 pm
Very disappointed is an understatement from me...
Boony and red would have had a field day with this..

I also seen another post with a whole pallet of baby formula at the docks ready to depart for Hong Kong.
In the midst of this pandemic people are still out to.make money
I really don't know what they want all the toilet paper for tbh.....

Screenshot_20200318-205912_Facebook.jpg
Steve, look at this page, surely your not stupid to believe that this is real? Its a race baiting page that targets the chinese. And generally its onlt the king of people that want to spread hate or want to believe this is true fall for it. No one in china is going to buy TP at 20-30 times the local price.

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:33 am

I reckon we should all be using this as an opportunity to install Bidet's.
:rf:

https://www.amazon.com.au/Luxe-Bidet-Ne ... 0007&psc=1

If i didnt live in a rental, I would

Long term much better for the environment and one thing less on the grocery list
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

Aimless
Has liked: 15 times

Post by Aimless » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:36 am

piscateur wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:22 am
purple5ive wrote:

I also seen another post with a whole pallet of baby formula at the docks ready to depart for Hong Kong.

Steve, look at this page, surely your not stupid to believe that this is real? Its a race baiting page that targets the chinese. And generally its onlt the king of people that want to spread hate or want to believe this is true fall for it. No one in china is going to buy TP at 20-30 times the local price.
Yeah I have to say that's a doctored post. I think the 'no job people / lazy house wife' gives it away. Australian companies are still exporting TP in bulk shipments, it's not worth it otherwise even with inflated prices.

I know there are people taking advantage of the situation, certainly people hoarding for themselves and probably a few trying to inflate prices, but I think that's a minority of cases. Most times it is just panic buying fuelling panic buying and normal supply chains trying to keep up. My local asian supermarket has bought in toilet paper and is selling limited amounts to people at a normal price, when the big chains are all empty.

I do agree that some of the response is over the top, and I think we will land somewhere in the middle of worst and best case scenarios. Most of the real scientific modelling done however, says that if noone does anything this will kill more people (more elderly than anyone else) than WW2. Of course, most governments are doing something so that cuts the numbers big time. But I suspect we will be feeling the direct effects of quarantine and lockdown for months, and the follow on effects of this for years.

P.s. Smokin Reels, I agree! Gotten used to bidets over many years living overseas and if I wasn't renting, I'd get one too!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 am

piscateur wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

am looking into this atm mate, no intention to mislead the public here, but if that was a person of another nationality i would still be pissed off, if what they were doing is true..
******* pricks!!!

the baby formula part is actually on the news though, so thats not bogus!!!
why do they need to stockpile and send overseas when the local people are struggling to find stuff for their own kids consumption!!! and its not just baby formula its multivitamins, cereal and stuff like that, which peopl here cannot buy now!!
and dont tell me other nationalities are also doing it, its just the one type and you wonder why people are loosing their **** with them here and also why they are the subject of targeted attacks..
im trying not to be a racist ****, but thing like these just dont help the cause!!

piscateur

Post by piscateur » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:26 am

purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 am
piscateur wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

am looking into this atm mate, no intention to mislead the public here, but if that was a person of another nationality i would still be pissed off, if what they were doing is true..
******* pricks!!!

the baby formula part is actually on the news though, so thats not bogus!!!
why do they need to stockpile and send overseas when the local people are struggling to find stuff for their own kids consumption!!! and its not just baby formula its multivitamins, cereal and stuff like that, which peopl here cannot buy now!!
and dont tell me other nationalities are also doing it, its just the one type and you wonder why people are loosing their **** with them here and also why they are the subject of targeted attacks..
im trying not to be a racist ****, but thing like these just dont help the cause!!
Again, ths Baby Formula post looks ths be a legitimate shipment that which our standard export from the manufacturers. Do you think the haphazard buying of formula tins form supermarkets would get proper boxes and in that quantity?
This in an excerp for the article,
"Photos showing the massive load of cargo were taken by Sydney dad and airport worker Matthew*, who says he was infuriated by the sight because of his struggles to get hold of the formula his six-month-old daughter needs."
What would and Airport Worker know about the origins of the shipment?
Again a little common sense would go a long way, before spreading rubbish that causes division amongst us.

SteveoTheTiger
Has liked: 182 times

Post by SteveoTheTiger » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am

Robbie1950 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 am
Corona virus will pass in time just like previous virus'. What worries me is when other virus' come to be known in the future and the panic it will spread over the community. Every time we have a virus on the other side of the world people are going to start panic buying, markets will start dipping because of the scares left by the corona virus catastrophe.
We were talking about this yesterday and i am wondering the same.

It seems like every 5 or 10 years something like this comes around. Bird flu, SARS, Swine flu come to mind in recent times. Are we going to shut everything down every time?

For me at this point in time i dont know if everything is warranted and exactly what we should be doing (if not more) or is it just a media beat up that has got everyone in a panic?
The only thing better than serenity is a two stroke at full throttle!
Check out my Flickr Photostream

piscateur

Post by piscateur » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:54 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am
Robbie1950 wrote:
Corona virus will pass in time just like previous virus'. What worries me is when other virus' come to be known in the future and the panic it will spread over the community. Every time we have a virus on the other side of the world people are going to start panic buying, markets will start dipping because of the scares left by the corona virus catastrophe.

It seems like every 5 or 10 years something like this comes around. Bird flu, SARS, Swine flu come to mind in recent times. Are we going to shut everything down every time?

For me at this point in time i dont know if everything is warranted and exactly what we should be doing (if not more) or is it just a media beat up that has got everyone in a panic?
Its hard to tell whether its a beat up or not, but I think the Italians didn't take this very seriously and are paying the price.

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 am

SteveoTheTiger wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:44 am
Robbie1950 wrote:

I did think it was a bit over the top just a couple of weeks ago, but my opinion has taken a 180. Australia's reaction is quite moderate compared to many other places. The data and modelling now show this can get really bad if society doesn't really fundamentally alter its behaviour for some time.

Look at Italy - that's what happens if people don't take it seriously. They traced the majority of that outbreak to one guy lying about his symptoms - he infected a bunch of healthcare workers because he wanted a nasal surgery to go ahead.

I work mostly with companies in a particular country overseas. They are much more crowded than Australia, smaller population, but also much less cases than us. They put in a travel quarantine a couple of weeks ago. I already started seeing the effects back in January, my year has already been much quieter. My colleagues there are saying a total curfew is coming in the next day or two - no travel unless you're working in the hospital. Maybe an hour a week to do shopping.

The difficulty is that if you do everything right and it doesn't get bad, people will say it was a waste of time - 'barely anyone got sick! And I lost my job / business / etc!'

But if you don't do enough, all the projections show that millions of people in Australia could get it and at least 2 or 3 percent of those are likely to die. Many more if we don't 'flatten the curve' and our hospitals are overwhelmed with a lot of cases all at once.

Economy is going down the shitter, but honestly I think Australia is still not doing enough - close the schools and unis immediately. We are all going to hurt but it is going to hurt worse if we don't do it right.

Here's a good recent interview with an expert that breaks down both sides.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:12 am

its the people that are lying about symptoms and continuing on, are the ones that we should be annoyed about
so far .

one of the first cases of covid-19 in india was from a family of indian origin but living in italy going back to india to visit family, they didnt say they were from the red alert area and dodged imigration by standing in the normal queue insted of the quarantine one.
they then went on to visit a aged care home, attend a wedding and visit more relatives.
people are absolutely pissed off and will more than likely lynch them if found..
2 people they came into contact with have already died..

A British tourist travelling around india was tested for covid-19 but didnt wait for test results and travlled around a fair few states before being contacted.

another case from britain where the husband was having an affair with his italian mistress. he never told anyone, but had got sick and then had to eventually give the truth.

now a cruise ship has just landed at Port of melbourne , with passengers disembarking from noon, no information as to wether the ship or passengers will be quarantined, or wether the ship is infected etc.

i personally believe the stage 4 restriction should apply to incoming passengers as well, not just dont go overseas..

Aimless

Post by Aimless » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:24 am

Yeah, it is a mixed bag. Real failures on an individual level with people dodging restrictions for selfish reasons.

Also on a government / department level, lots of reports of inconsistent messaging when people are flying in, going through customs and arrivals.

I saw from some NZ family that flew back home, that there were British tourists hopping off the plane, no information when they arrived from customs or the airline, these guys were grabbing tourism brochures and heading off into the world. Even one case slipping through can really stuff things up.

Return to “General”