New to fishing...have a question?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Re: New to fishing...have a question?

Post by ronan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am

Qurlane wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 am
Can anyone recommend a good 'bang for buck' 3000 size spinning reel. Currently I'm using a 4000 Abu Garcia spinning reel (which is great) . Need another reel now to match a second rod, I know shimano rarenium are reported to be an excellent reel but my budget won't stretch that far at the moment, any ideas would be appreciated
take a look at some of the sedona or nasci shimanos

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm

Qurlane wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good 'bang for buck' 3000 size spinning reel. Currently I'm using a 4000 Abu Garcia spinning reel (which is great) . Need another reel now to match a second rod, I know shimano rarenium are reported to be an excellent reel but my budget won't stretch that far at the moment, any ideas would be appreciated
Im not sure about american waters but i know the shimano sienna is a well knowen bang for buck reel.

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:18 pm

saph wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm
Qurlane wrote:
Im not sure about american waters but i know the shimano sienna is a well knowen bang for buck reel.
The old Sienna FD's were almost bullet proof but the FE is no where as good and also has a plastic body. Not sure about the new FG model but for a bit more money I would maybe go a Sedona I have 3 of them in different sizes and have never had a problem. You can normally pick them up on sale for around $80
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

saph
Has liked: 4 times

Post by saph » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Boonanza wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:18 pm
saph wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:26 pm
Qurlane wrote:
The old Sienna FD's were almost bullet proof but the FE is no where as good and also has a plastic body. Not sure about the new FG model but for a bit more money I would maybe go a Sedona I have 3 of them in different sizes and have never had a problem. You can normally pick them up on sale for around $80
ive had mine for nearly a year now and no servicing has been done or washing of it after use (waste of time to me and can strip away the oil and greese ive found) and its still running strong and ive left it in the sun for hours before and theres 0 issue with the body.

Kenle
Has liked: 214 times

Post by Kenle » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:35 pm

I love the Sienas more than the Sedonas. All my Sedonas tend to have problems with the roller on the bail arm and they tend to feel rough spinning in the rain probably due to water seeping into the mechanisms. Great when new but they don't last as well as the Sienas. Also Sienas are so cheap you could call them disposables if anything goes wrong.

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:49 pm

Qurlane wrote:
What is your budget?
And what reel model was the Abu Garcia?
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

ronan
Has liked: 91 times

Post by ronan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23 pm

Kenle wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:35 pm
I love the Sienas more than the Sedonas. All my Sedonas tend to have problems with the roller on the bail arm and they tend to feel rough spinning in the rain probably due to water seeping into the mechanisms. Great when new but they don't last as well as the Sienas. Also Sienas are so cheap you could call them disposables if anything goes wrong.
Haven't had those problems with my sedona, but the sienna can take a way bigger beating

BradzyW

Looking for help/ reassurance:)

Post by BradzyW » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:08 pm

Ok..
Only new to the forum but curious to know peoples thoughts on yesterday’s occurrence when I was fishing.
I was bait fishing up near Yarrawonga in a small creek and I hooked onto a big fish on a chicken chip (felt like a very big cod).
I’ve never had any real dramas with hooks slipping, especially since using Fluro leader instead of hooks straight to braid.
I’ve been quizzing myself ever since re why my hook came straight off during the fight and it’s haunting me as I lost a metre cod, cod classic weekend (had the fish at the bank, lip gripped and it did a death roll and somehow got free of my mates grips).
I was a bit slack and probably only had a foot or so of leader connected to my braid line and I’m wondering if that had something to do with it.. less give in the line or something?
I’ve always rigged my hooks up the same but now I’m thinking I may need to change it up a bit.
******* disheartening I tell ya!!
I use a 30 pound supple trace and 2/0 owner circle hooks.. Maybe I might use tough trace from now on and see how i go..

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:46 pm

Hummm, hard to say. But if I were to target cod, especially a big one, I'd use circle hook bigger than 2/0. They have a thick bony jaw lip thing. For a circle hook to fully set, it needs to have the right gape width. Maybe that caused it, the 2/0 hook just pinned the lip.

Don't be shy using a big hook for cod, they have big mouth.
I've targetted and landed cod on bait in the past and used 4/0. Would use 6/0 if I were to seriously targetting the big ones.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Seaka
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Seaka » Wed May 18, 2022 11:24 pm

Pretty new to the hobby and Im looking for places to fish around 15km from Melbourne Cbd at most, any ideas?

Salt or freshwater doesn't matter to me

Return to “General”