New to fishing...have a question?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Larksy88

Re: New to fishing...have a question?

Post by Larksy88 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Yeah they will for sure

james rose

Post by james rose » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:32 pm

Larksy88 wrote:Yeah they will for sure
Thanks again

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:49 pm

wrt taking sea water - I do it from Venus Bay as I'm trying to make my own salt crystals without applying heat (a science experiment for jnr).

My dumb question: I'm new to salt water fishing, what's the difference/benefit of paternoster v running sinker? As I see it the bait will lie slightly off the bottom with a paternoster rig but lie on the bottom with a running sinker (unless the bait is buoyant).
There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer.

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Time Poor wrote:wrt taking sea water - I do it from Venus Bay as I'm trying to make my own salt crystals without applying heat (a science experiment for jnr).

My dumb question: I'm new to salt water fishing, what's the difference/benefit of paternoster v running sinker? As I see it the bait will lie slightly off the bottom with a paternoster rig but lie on the bottom with a running sinker (unless the bait is buoyant).

Paternoster historically casts better and tangles less. The weight on the bottom means from the beach, rocks or pier the heavy bit is leading as it travels through the air. The baits are suspended and you can use the bottom dropper to the sinker off a three way swivel with lower breaking strain than the rest of the rig so if you do get snagged, all you lose is your sinker and not your entire rig.

Running sinker is great for allowing a suspicious fish to grab your bait without feeling the resistance of the sinker. Fish with your drag down and it presents the bait very naturally, and often very close to the bottom, which can be helpful depending on what you're fishing for.

Any species in mind to target or just a question tp?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:29 pm

Part Timer wrote:Not overly new to fishing, but new to saltwater.

Just wondering if anyone can give an overview on the effect of the tides on fishing? Any links to articles even?

Cheers

PT

Hey mate, sorry I missed your question and a mod just pointed out that nobody has answered you.

The answer is entirely dependent on what your fishing for and where. As a very very broad definition, the stronger a tide is the more important fishing the tide changes becomes. In the north end of PPB it's not a huge deal. In the south end it becomes more important, and there are locations that are almost unfishable at mid tide.

By a tide change, I mean the hour or two either side of high or low tide.

If your land based, and the area is shallow, and you're fishing in the middle of the day, try and do so at high tide. Try and time it so that high tide matches up with dawn or dusk, find some deep water, a gutter or drop off from a rock ledge and you're in business.

You can fish low tide as well, but try and target low light times such as dawn or dusk, and overcast days. Fishing a sandy flat at low tide in the middle of a bright sunny day will greatly reduce your chances.

But again, these are generalities, it depends entirely on where you are fishing, what you are fishing for and what methods you want to use.

Your best bet is to first eliminate one of these variables. Pick either a target species, or a location if you know you're going to be there, and then work with what you have to give yourself the best chances to succeed.

Plenty of helpful people on here, if you give a bit of info on what you're trying to achieve someone will be happy to help you, even if I can't.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 pm

I like to fish westernport which has very deep channels lots of shallow reef areas especially the eastern side of french island. As a general rule if the tide is going out we fish the edges of the shallow reefs the theory the fish moving from shallow to deeper water and reverse on the flood tide we fish on the reefs. The tidal movement in wp is huge compared with ppb. As the tide slackens off you can fish the deep channels without using 24 oz of lead.
Even in the open ocean the tide affects the fish they will definitely feed better an hour either side of the tide change. That is not to say fish dont feed outside of that time,
The best thing about this in saltwater it happens 4 times a day 2 high 2 low and if it coincides with dawn and dusk even better.

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:17 pm

Many thanks Dougie,

I hadn't considered the mechanics but of course, you're right. It was just a general question though I do have fish envy of that 42cm KGW :-)

I only use a swivel for attaching the leader to the braid just out of convenience because my eyesight isn't what it was.

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Part Timer,

I'm in the same position as you - what I have observed being land based is that, as the two previous experts have pointed out, the change of tide offers a great opportunity. I've tried to gain experience in one location, so my tip would be find yourself a known spot, close to you to save travelling time, put the hours in and keep a log. However, I have noticed that at my 'learning-ground' 30mins either side of the change the takes tend to drop off so I fan cast in order to find the biting fish.

BIG GAV
Has liked: 2 times

Post by BIG GAV » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Time Poor wrote:Many thanks Dougie,

I hadn't considered the mechanics but of course, you're right. It was just a general question though I do have fish envy of that 42cm KGW :-)

I only use a swivel for attaching the leader to the braid just out of convenience because my eyesight isn't what it was.

i too fish east side of wp and have a few good days on kgw on this same theory we anchor as close to a channel in the shallow n cast our bait into the channel the biggest kgw on a trip in hastings a few weeks back was 46cm 26 kgw total all around the 38-45 mark!

even last sunday got 2 at 40
If I'm not fishing, I'd rather be fishing!

Time Poor

Post by Time Poor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:03 pm

BIG GAV wrote:
Time Poor wrote:Many thanks Dougie,

i too fish east side of wp and have a few good days on kgw on this same theory we anchor as close to a channel in the shallow n cast our bait into the channel the biggest kgw on a trip in hastings a few weeks back was 46cm 26 kgw total all around the 38-45 mark!

even last sunday got 2 at 40

Hat off to you guys, I need to do the hard yards first before even getting close to double figures on a trip.

Return to “General”