What baits can you collect yourself at Marlo?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
sputnik

What baits can you collect yourself at Marlo?

Post by sputnik » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Hi there guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm heading up to Marlo hopefully after cup weekend and want to know what bait can you gather yourself? Prawn, mussel, sand worm, nippers?
Any help would be appreciated cheers.

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Re: What baits can you collect yourself at Marlo?

Post by bowl » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:10 pm

:doh1:
Last edited by bowl on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 pm

sputnik wrote:Hi there guys, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm heading up to Marlo hopefully after cup weekend and want to know what bait can you gather yourself? Prawn, mussel, sand worm, nippers?
Any help would be appreciated cheers.
When I was at marlo, I collected prawn to use as a bait.

re-tyred
Has liked: 376 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:35 am

When we are up there we collect crabs from the rocks on the bank opposite 2nd Island. You need to go at low tide. have gloves and a bucket. Roll the small rocks over and grab them. When the Bream are in the mood for crab they go nuts on them. There is a sand bank on shore opposite the eastern side of 2nd island, you can pump woem there at low tide. Nippers can be pumped up the top of slip bight arm (Corringle) at low tide. Flicking or trolling metal lures around the entrance is usually pretty good for Salmon go during the change of tide, it is best when a bit of ocean water is in the entrance. Opposite the jetty on the south side is a good spot for Taylor.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 am

re-tyred wrote:When we are up there we collect crabs from the rocks on the bank opposite 2nd Island. You need to go at low tide. have gloves and a bucket. Roll the small rocks over and grab them. When the Bream are in the mood for crab they go nuts on them. There is a sand bank on shore opposite the eastern side of 2nd island, you can pump woem there at low tide. Nippers can be pumped up the top of slip bight arm (Corringle) at low tide. Flicking or trolling metal lures around the entrance is usually pretty good for Salmon go during the change of tide, it is best when a bit of ocean water is in the entrance. Opposite the jetty on the south side is a good spot for Taylor.

Great post mate! The more i get into bait fishing the more i wonder why anyone ever buys baits.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 91

Longtail : 1

claretone

Post by claretone » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 am

Prawns - after dark from November to March, easiest spot to do this just drive down to the lefty of the pier infront of the pub park your car and grab yor dip net, light, bucket and booties and off you go. the bigger prawns dont usually turn on until JAN - FEB but they should start a bit after cup week end.
Sandworms - Frenchs narrows or right hand side of the first island on a low tide.
Crabs - anywhere along the Snowy/brodribb around the islands
I have been going here for over 30 years and still it amazes me how many fish there are in this system. Every time we go there is always a new spot we try and 9/10 times get good bream or the occaisional flathead.
Surf fishing - cant beat Point Ricardo !!
:water:
MY WIFE LETS ME BUYS ALL THE FISHING GEAR I CAN HIDE !!

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:56 am

I’m hoping to get some prawns down that way I’m going to try to the left of the pier at marlo like you guys said but are they going very good at this time of year?

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:10 pm

Yes should be some around
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.

Omer
Has liked: 33 times

Post by Omer » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:56 pm

claretone wrote:
Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:21 am
Prawns - after dark from November to March, easiest spot to do this just drive down to the lefty of the pier infront of the pub park your car and grab yor dip net, light, bucket and booties and off you go. the bigger prawns dont usually turn on until JAN - FEB but they should start a bit after cup week end.
Sandworms - Frenchs narrows or right hand side of the first island on a low tide.
Crabs - anywhere along the Snowy/brodribb around the islands
I have been going here for over 30 years and still it amazes me how many fish there are in this system. Every time we go there is always a new spot we try and 9/10 times get good bream or the occaisional flathead.
Surf fishing - cant beat Point Ricardo !!
:water:
I've never collected sandworms before. Is this a difficult mission to embark on?
What is meant for you, will never miss you. That which misses you was never meant for you.

re-tyred

Post by re-tyred » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:10 am

You need a sandworm pump and a siv . Look for the tubes in the sand then push the pump in and pull the handle to fill the pump. Push the pumped sand into the siv and let the water wash the sand away.. ... Best is watch someone with experience do it.

Return to “General”