Corona Virus Part 3

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Stumpjumper
Has liked: 19 times

Re: Corona Virus Part 3

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 pm

croe04 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:08 pm
source ?????
There's a few out there, here's one commonly used to keep count.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... australia/

Blue
Has liked: 35 times

Post by Blue » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:30 pm

Thoughts are with you Mike, stay strong mate.
Blue
To find a fish
You do the miles.
Catch the fish
and earn the smiles.

Lord,allow me to catch a fish, so large that even I,when speaking of it afterwards.........May have no need to lie !!!

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:35 pm

Analysis of all of China's cases indicates 80% of people did not require hospitalisation (by their definitions I think that means they did not require supplemental oxygen). Which leaves around 20% of covids at risk of getting all the fun stuff in that article. Presumably a certain percentage of those who are not sick enough to require a trip to hospital are still at risk of getting long term complications (you need to be extremely unwell to need supplemental oxygen after all), I can't find any studies yet that look at those but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash eventually.

If you look at the up to date figures on Worldometer you actually get a fatality rate closer to 3 per million of population... not that it's a particularly meaningful stat because we don't have a high rate of infection. That will grow as the 50 or so people in the ICU progress through the illness and some of them die, but again comparing it to the total population is pretty useless.

South Korea is an interesting example to look at for the actual fatality rate because they've been so aggressive with their testing; they have a fatality rate of just over 2% with 2000 odd active cases and 8000 or so recovered.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 pm

There are a variety of different methods used in each country to collate those figures. As for China.....it is pure propaganda.

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:20 pm
croe04 wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:08 pm
source ?????
There's a few out there, here's one commonly used to keep count.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... australia/
That counter you put up says there are 42,000 plus deaths in USA. 330 million people. My maths isn’t super but I make that 127 deaths per million. Or can someone correct me?

benders
Has liked: 169 times

Post by benders » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:01 pm

And 393 per million in Italy. And counting.

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Stumpjumper wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:51 pm
There are a variety of different methods used in each country to collate those figures. As for China.....it is pure propaganda.
While the total number of cases in China might be a bit ‘rubbery’ shall be say, the actual studies on the effects of the disease are pretty good and correlate closely enough with the initial results from other countries.

Chinese information is useful because they’ve had the most time to go through the results and study the longer term implications whereas most other countries are still grappling with the outbreak and don’t have complete figures. In the countries with the most infections (aka biggest sample size) we won’t know their results for months or more. South Korea will probably start producing a lot of good studies soon too.
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:10 pm

benders wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 pm

That counter you put up says there are 42,000 plus deaths in USA. 330 million people. My maths isn’t super but I make that 127 deaths per million. Or can someone correct me?
A+.JPG

mazman
Has liked: 138 times

Post by mazman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:07 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:10 pm
benders wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:59 pm

A+.JPG
I mean it is correct... but it is also has the same relevancy as me telling you that 3/100 is 3%.

You can't look at the population as a whole, you need to look at the specific portion of the population that has covid and even then that's far from reliable there's a whole host of other things to take into consideration for establishing an accurate mortality rate. There's also things like what on going health problems are going to be experienced by patients who visit icu and recover and other questions of similar vein
Youtube channel:Hawkesy Fishing

Stumpjumper

Post by Stumpjumper » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:23 pm

No one knows the real mortality rate mate, no one has done anywhere near enough testing to even know how many people are really infected. And yes, you're right about the underlying medical conditions of many that die also skew the result.

Return to “General”