Is It Hard To Fish From A kayak?

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
RykerRyker

Is It Hard To Fish From A kayak?

Post by RykerRyker » Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:09 pm

In under 10 years kayak fishing has become globally well known. From saltwater shorelines to inland lakes and streams, fishermen are getting a wide scope of game fish from kayaks. Assuming you're new to kayak fishing, the accompanying tips will assist you with rowing your direction to extraordinary bar bowing activity.

Kayak Benefits

Fishermen who utilize a kayak's qualities for their potential benefit will encounter great fishing. Matt Kitchen, Mitchell Brand Manager and experienced kayak fisher, prefers the compactness and simple dispatch attributes for arriving at less constrained streams.

"A kayak gives you much more admittance to water that you customarily don't have with a power boat," Kitchen said. "You truly just need an open real estate parcel with admittance to the water to have the option to get in."

Secrecy is another strength. Rowing is calm and being low to the water helps surprise fish. A kayak draws almost no water, as well. These characteristics make a kayak ideal for following sketchy fish, particularly in shallow water.

Kitchen favors a sit-on-top (SOT) kayak for fishing in mild environments. Drunkards are seriously fishing cordial. Many are steady to the point of remaining on, which is better compared to being situated for sight-fishing and underhand projecting strategies. Drunkards are likewise more straightforward to fix with fishing frill contrasted with most demonstration kayaks.

Tweak Your Kayak

Fixing a kayak for fishing will make you a more proficient fisher.

Keep tackle, pincers, an arrival net, water and other significant things inside simple reach. Kitchen protects apparatuses with cords to forestall losing them over the edge.

Mount bar holders on a kayak for savaging and conveying spare combos.

Introduce a sonar/GPS unit. It helps finds fish and further develops route. Waypoint the dispatch site.

Use boat control accomplices to remain on gnawing fish. A shallow-water stake, anchor streetcar joined with an anchor or float sock, just as a rudder are well known things.

Introduce a smaller than usual downrigger for accuracy savaging for suspending fish, similar to trout. Kitchen made his own from a pole holder, fly reel and kite bar.

Fishing Strategies

A kayak can't move as fast or cover as much water as a power boat. Effective kayak fishermen tailor strategies as needs be.

Utilize adaptable, simple to-fish draws. This lessens retying and once again fixing, which implies you make more projects in the day and catch more fish as a result of it.

Find fish utilizing search lures, as spinnerbaits, swimbaits, and crankbaits. Subsequent to getting dynamic fish, backtrack with a little dance, drop-shot or other artfulness lure to persuade additional chomps from less dynamic ones.

Change strategies to target various species prior to leaving a region. Kitchen conveys three to five bar and reel combos for quick change-ups between species.

Savage from a kayak to cover water or as an option in contrast to projecting.

Different Tips

Aside from tight-to-cover strategies, Kitchen suggests a 6'6" or longer bar. The additional length helps control a fish and move it around the kayak and other knot risks, similar to an anchor rope.

Consider utilizing single-snare traps sooner rather than later and squeezing down points for fast snare evacuation.

For solace, put resources into a light oar. Tie it to the kayak utilizing a rope.

Actually take a look at nearby and state guidelines for required security and sailing gear.

Convey a whistle or other sounding gadget for alarming power boats of your area.

Continuously wear a daily existence vest.

Kayak fishing is a fun, loosening up method for wetting a line. Assuming you haven't as of now, check it out. For more visit https://coolersinsider.com/
Thanks!

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Re: Is It Hard To Fish From A kayak?

Post by gregmaka » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:33 pm

Interesting topic, and yes you can catch fish with the right setup. You don't need to spend big money on a Kayak to catch fish. Well mine is under one k new and it does me fine. I only go out 3-5 hundred meters off Werribee in calm weather and rivers and lakes. If i wanted to go out further and a bit choppier weather ill just use my tinny, and put up with busy boat ramps and inpatient people. I have built some outriggers and put two T 24 watersnake motors on each side, and used one meter PVC pipes for floaters or buoys, and made them go higher or lower depending on how much a person weighs and to avoid drag and too much friction on the water. It runs very smooth and stable ,i can actually stand up on it. Im still on experimental stage and there is still room for improvement.PS you need a boat license if you are going to exceed 320 watt motor which is a T32 motor. Mine is 480 watts and well balanced. This was my long lockdown project, and i would love to add a sale and a 300 watt flexy solar panel to it on the next lockdown.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:44 pm

gregmaka wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:33 pm
Interesting topic, and yes you can catch fish with the right setup. You don't need to spend big money on a Kayak to catch fish. Well mine is under one k new and it does me fine. I only go out 3-5 hundred meters off Werribee in calm weather
while you are right you dont need to spend a lot to catch fish even to more expensive craft work out at a fairly good price

New price my kayak a Stealth profisha 525 is not much difference as it was 6 years ago around the $ 3700 add a $ 500 paddle + sounder and a few extra rod holders makes a very capable fishing set up for the bays inshore and off shore
my normal fishing trips cover 10 - 20 km on Westernport through a days fishing and off shore 20 - 30 km is not out of the question normally trolling
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

gregmaka
Has liked: 97 times

Post by gregmaka » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:20 am

I got a friend that spent even more than that on a yak plus heeps of homemade stuff, he calls it the ultimate fishing machine. He goes out in all sorts of weather with no fear, and wears a full on wet suit. He always catches good fish, but once got caught out on the Rip on just a normal day, and needed rescuing and really got told off by the coast guard. What I'm saying you cant always be too sure no matter what the yak is worth. Know your limits before sailing off.

FrankMCG

Post by FrankMCG » Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:47 pm

Thank you for the thread. I've heard a lot about kayak fishing but I've never ever tried it. What is the decent budget pick atm? Vibe kayaks(like this) are expensive, Hobie's aren't suitable for that as far as I know
Thanks in advance and all the best
Frank

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:08 pm

FrankMCG wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:47 pm
Thank you for the thread. I've heard a lot about kayak fishing but I've never ever tried it. What is the decent budget pick atm? Vibe kayaks(like this) are expensive, Hobie's aren't suitable for that as far as I know
Thanks in advance and all the best
Frank
What do you mean by hobie aren't suitable?
What/how do you intend to fish?

I think best is to try first and see if you like it. Whether try your friend's or hire. When you decide to buy one, get a good one. Second hand Hobie be still better than those new "cheapo" kayaks.

I had $500 kayak and only took me few trips to get a Native Watercraft Slayer Propel kayak. Much more stable, etc.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:50 pm

Can’t wait to test out this new fad kayaking
This is a warning regarding the following post made by you: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=349277#p349277 .
Any form of bullying on this forum will NOT BE TOLERATED!

This is your last warning!

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:11 pm

Seniorfisho
Has liked: 797 times

Post by Seniorfisho » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:44 am

fisho999 wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:11 pm
been looking at this one