Rye land based

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Rye land based

Post by GusG » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:35 am

Hi team,

I am heading to Rye next week with the kids for a few days. Kids have only fished once before and they loved it, they are excited about having another crack. I was planning on taking them down to a local pier and catch whatever swims, they wont be after trophy fish. Just consistent bites to keep them interested.

I'm hoping that while they fish I may get to flick around for a squid but I'm guessing I'll be too busy baiting hooks, untangling lines and making sure they don't push each other in. I may also sneak out to the back beaches and have a flick for a salmon or something :bn:

So, any kid friendly areas down there to try? I am assuming Rye pier is a good start or maybe Blairgowrie.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Rye land based

Post by Sebb » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:08 am

All piers around there are good. From Blairgowrie to Portsea can produce squid. Burley a lot and you may attract whiting, tommy, gar.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Post by DougieK » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 am

Drop a tiny paternoster between the edge of the jetty and the ferry towers at sorrento. Kids will have a great time on tommy / leathers / wrasse and you can cast at squid at the same time.
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

wishtofish
Has liked: 36 times

Post by wishtofish » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Pretty much what Dougie said, always caught something at Sorrento dropping a small paternoster or running sinker around the ferry towers, also caught some big trevally there once upon a time, some big squid around but I've never done the best on squid in Sorrento, probably me doing something wrong haha.. lots of cuttles around

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:50 am

Great, thanks for the advice fellas, I'll give it a crack!

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:57 am

Good luck mate cause your gonna need it to get a car park the amount of people heading that way lol

Return to “General”