cheaters pirtek day - Cleeland Bight in the wind

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

cheaters pirtek day - Cleeland Bight in the wind

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:46 pm

both Winchbitch from Vyak and myself headed to cleeland bight in search of a flatty the weather man was not being to kind to us with NW winds that were going to move to west and then SW forcast was 10 kts at best and getting quite a bit higher
they weren't wrong

anyway we headed down to the quarry about 3 - 3 and a bit km from the launch stoping along the way to catch some toad fish ( not realy the plan ) we had a quick look around the corner from the quarry and it was not looking comfortable so about face and head back into a 10 + kt head wind and an outgoing tide - if that sounds like fun you are wrong apart from the wind and tide there was quite a large chop making the going even harder
we pulled up behind some rocks and used them as a wind/wave break it was a nice sandy spot with some rocks scattered around but if there were any fatties there the toad fish and wrass beat them to it
twice I got double hook ups with a wrass and a toad fish as the same time
I did get 1 mullet that I kept

we headed over to the beach for a leg stretch

before starting the trip back here the fun started we now had to beat into a 15+ kt head wind and an outgoing tide it was bad enough just keeping the yak on a heading , between the chop and the wind it was hard work then to make it more fun it would gust up a lot higher and the yak would just stop moving forward

This section was the hardest to paddle in just around a small rocky reef , the tide rips along at the end of it on a still day it would be no problem
but the extra effort needed to push though it was hard in the exteme
we had another little rest stop on the beach just after the reef

along the next section of the return the wind had moved to a westerly so getting in close was easier as it maskes the wind
we stoped near the big sand hill and caught a few more toad fish
thing were starting to look bleak I moved futher down toward the launch site mal stayed put
in about 4 meters of water almost straight out from the launch, Bingo a Flatty a bit over 42 cm

heres some thing to try get a live flatty thats wet with a slippery gut put it on a pirtek brag mat in a kayak that is bouncing on waves with a 10 kt wind
now try and take its pic before it slides off the mat - note the pliers in shot they helped but this is the best shot out of the few I took
that was the only flatty I caught today but there was some other bycatch a few pinkys
I would have got a few more but the wind changed again to the sth west and the strongest gut I think I've seen while kayaking I looked up the see what looked like a storm front coming over the end of cape Woolamai
so I uped stumps and made a quick trip to the beach - then rang Mal to see what he was doing he was already making tracks in
as it was it didn't get any worse

Mal looked up how many Km we traveled to and it was about 6.5 he made the comment that it was a lot harder that many trips doing over 20 km - I feel he was right

my days catch above

so we were all packed up and heading home via a stop at San Remo for a bite to eat then my car woundn't start called the RACV and it needs a new box of sparks - ( no spark )
so I saved fuel on the way home as it was on the back of a tow truck - looks like it was the old girls last trip
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Rod Bender

Re: cheaters pirtek day - Cleeland Bight in the wind

Post by Rod Bender » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:50 pm

nice report. my day was a bit easier sitting on my ar5e on a creek!
Proudly sponsoring Trelly's Tackleworld and Boats & More!

Fish-Hunter

Post by Fish-Hunter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Great pics & report , sorry to read that your car broke down .

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Rod Bender wrote:nice report. my day was a bit easier sitting on my ar5e on a creek!
I had just been reading your report - sitting somewhere dry thats not moving up and down does some good
MIKER wrote:Great pics & report , sorry to read that your car broke down .
the car was going to the great car park in the sky anyway - some one has been pouring salt water on the roof every W/E for near on 3 years and the rust is quite bad

I have another car in the wings but am making a trailer for the yak to keep the sand and saly water off it a bit more
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

nhillboy

Post by nhillboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Great report, pics and nice fish cheater. Well done with your weekly work out.

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Post by CarlG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:31 am

Cheater, you must have balls like watermelons going out yesterday...I fished gunners for an hour in the morning, that was enough. We bailed our planned squid bash on the tinny in the arvo...lol..

Longshot

Post by Longshot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:09 am

Monster effort Cheater :) I took one look at the weather report and decided it was a Land Based day!
Glad to see you got rewarded

poppy62
Has liked: 2 times

Post by poppy62 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:13 pm

I was down at Bass Landing...spent half the time chasing after the chairs...
Reckon you could have surfed in the river there, the waves were that big :)

cheaterparts

Post by cheaterparts » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Longshot wrote:Monster effort Cheater :) I took one look at the weather report and decided it was a Land Based day!
Glad to see you got rewarded
cleeland bight is normaly not to bad on a westerly but like most of westernport nth or nth west winds are a bugger
poppy62 wrote:I was down at Bass Landing...spent half the time chasing after the chairs...
Reckon you could have surfed in the river there, the waves were that big :)
I thought about Bass landing and heading out to the left neer dickies bay but cleeland bight has a beach that is easy to head for if things get to dicey - or silly old buggers like me need a rest
My kayak PBs

Cheater

Return to “Fishing Competitions”