Do Bream Comps (and others) Encourage Rule Breaking?

Whiskers
Has liked: 3 times

Post by Whiskers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

The following is cut directly from the new Vic. Recreational Fishing Guide, 2019.

"It is illegal to high-grade your fish
High-grading of fish involves a person who has caught and retained their daily catch limit of legal sized fish, but who then continues to catch more of that species, subsequently discarding the previously caught fish, dead or alive.

If you caught it, count it
Fish caught that are retained in live wells, catch-bags, eskies, buckets, any other container or given to someone else count towards your bag limit."

:fishing:

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Re: Do Bream Comps (and others) Encourage Rule Breaking?

Post by 4liters » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 pm

I agree. Ban bream imo
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Where's Steve when you need his opinion on breaming

colnick
Has liked: 37 times

Post by colnick » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:13 pm

I think there are some key words here. The rule prohibits catching more fish after catching the DAILY BAG LIMIT, even if some fish are subsequently released. I don't pretend to know too much about bream comps but everything I've seen and read suggests that as larger fish are caught smaller fish are progressively released from holding tanks/keeper nets long before the daily bag limit has been reached.
I suspect threats to fish come more from ignorant anglers or those who deliberately ignore bag limits rather than competition anglers.
And no, competition angling is not my thing.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:24 pm

Whiskers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

The following is cut directly from the new Vic. Recreational Fishing Guide, 2019.

High-grading of fish involves a person who has caught and retained their daily catch limit of legal sized fish, but who then continues to catch more of that species, subsequently discarding the previously caught fish, dead or alive.

Fish caught that are retained in live wells, catch-bags, eskies, buckets, any other container or given to someone else count towards your bag limit."

:fishing:
Going by this if fish are placed in live wells and later released to upsize then yes.
Be the same for whiting anglers releasing fish from a live well before moving as to not spook the school.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:38 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:33 pm
Where's Steve when you need his opinion on breaming
This could be as good as Kimtown vs P5 I, II, III

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:00 pm

Lol

Nightwish

Post by Nightwish » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:11 pm

l have never fished in a bream comp but from what l have seen on tv or have read about the competitors have a live well and once they have caught there bag of about 5 fish, if they catch something bigger then it's an upgrade.l assume they put the bigger one in and release a smaller one,l don't see this as cheating.
l don't know about this dead or alive stuff, l would be surprised if fish were thrown away dead as anglers in this sort of comp seem to be fairly responsible.
:cheers:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Whiskers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Im not sure about Other Comps.
But Most of the Bream Boating Tournaments the Bag Limit is 5 fish, so Not Highgrading as such...
The Kayak Bream Comps are 4 Fish I believe (i could be wrong here)

The Bream Tournaments are a 5 fish bag, so as soon as the 6th fish is caught, the smallest fish is released back, this continues till the end of the tournament and is Known as Upgrading. there is only maximum of 5 fish allowed to be weighed. and since the torunament is 2 anglers per team your legally allowed 20 fish on board... nobody actually keeps more than 5 fish in a torunament anyway.

The Tournaments are run very strictly, with boat and fishing licences checked prior to start, and also proof of boat insurance must be shown, if you get caught speeding in 5Knot zones or you get fined by water police you are disqualified instantly.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:57 am

rb85 wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:38 pm

This could be as good as Kimtown vs P5 I, II, III

is it safe.PNG

Return to “Fishing Competitions”