'8lb mono line on a Penn 2500 reel 20 lb line 6-7foot hook leader Maxima Line
No4 3 way swivel 200 mm sinker leader.
Only use 1oz snapper sinker unless going to Queenscliff use a 2 oz
No 4 long shank Diiachi hook-Replaced most times before fishing
Fish with 2-3 rods
Stand up not sitting at all
Bait-Callamari frozen .bashed then cut into strips big ones and little ones
Bucket full of Mussles throw over a few each time you catch a fish
Burley pot on bottom with a very heavy weight/Marios Tuna oil bomb from Pt Lincon SA-$7 each lasts about 5 fishes -Check often as strong tides and kelp will lift off bottom -Use thin twine not rope as the drag is too much for rope
Dont move all the time try to bring fish to you
I fish on sand and weed patches
Shallow water at night deep water after sunrise
Fish both tides
Whiting like a back drop like a reef or ship wreck behind them
Dirty water the best/Stormy rough water the best -Brings them on
Best fishing is big tidal flow and early morning late a/noon
If Dolphins around move about 1-2 klm away
Seals around wait 20 mins and see what happens
Fish near the old crappy looking boats-These are locals
Noise has no affect
If you catch Toadies/puffers or skates you in a good spot
Dont take much noitice of people on U tube-Day hackers
When u get a nibble hold rod to the side of boat and pull in slowley this will entice the 2nd bite then strike
Keep a diary so you can remember later on ,Mine shows that N03 coles channel green marker and the Large Coles Marker for now
Cheers

sandef
Has liked: 54 times

Re: Let's talk Whiting how-to

Post by sandef » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:24 am

Excellent report Denis

beefy

Post by beefy » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:55 am

Cheers lads, and Dennis what a fantastic bunch of info for us beginners. I've picked up a lot from that one.

Regarding the thin line for a Berley pot, I bought some Dyneema cord of Ebay for this very purpose, and am using one of those hand casting reels with the handle on the inside. The cord is rated at about 120 kg. Made a berley pot out of 100mm stormwater pipe and fittings (screw cap on the top). Drilling all the holes was a bit painful though. I'm going to drill a hole in the bottom so I can put a sharpened long stainless bolt or spike, so it will dig into the seabed a bit and hopefully not get carried away by the current. Also going to add a some stainless wire on top for any sharks that mouth the berley cage, I've heard that happens.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:59 am

denis barden wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:44 am
This is what I do at St Leonards /Indented Heads /Queenscliff
St leonards boat ramp will need to be enlarged with at least 4 more ramp lanes because of denis's post ! :rf:
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:20 am

me and my friend were spearfishing and we saw quite a few whiting but the were under the pier so we couldn't shoot them :ft:

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:10 pm

beefy wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:07 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:15 pm
The most important rule will always be.

LEARN TO ANCHOR PROPERLY :-D
Purple5ive,

can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "properly". Do you mean doing it quietly ?

Sure!!!

Just read and make sure you don't make the same mistake :-D

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25216

re-tyred
Has liked: 372 times

Post by re-tyred » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:38 pm

2 people 1 hr today
Attachments
IMG_20220304_110731_9.jpg
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

ango

Post by ango » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:40 pm

It pays to be quiet in shallow water, I motor towards the spot where I want to fish, and then cut the motor and drift until the boat stops, then I quietly let the anchor down. As regards berly, I am unsure about it, I have tried it but it seems to attract the toady's so I don't use any other than throwing over mussel shells after I have removed the flesh for bait. I find that things can start slowly, but once the whiting get going it is often a fish a cast, I think they regurgitate bait after they are hooked and this put the rest of them into a frenzy. I always keep a rod in a holder with a circle hook and baited with squid and hold a rod baited with mussel on a J hook. After you catch a few on the mussel they often start to go for the squid and hook themselves on the circle hook.
Cheers
Ango.

fisho999
Has liked: 531 times

Post by fisho999 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:48 pm

I spear them( or at least try to).

skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Post by skronkman » Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:55 am

One thing not mentioned (or I missed it) is not to throw back the undersized whiting while you’re still catching as it seems to scare the school off sometimes. I put the littleuns in the live tank or bucket of fresh seawater and return them before I move spots.

Did anyone mention the pippy/squid cocktail? Or the ever best bait, the “golden brick”?

Salting the mussels to firm them up for the hook?

I used to quiet anchor but usually fish from a boat with electric motor now which is awesome.

I only fish with one rod but take 2 setups in case one gets tangled/cut off/etc.

I’ve tried circles, I’m sure they work but I’m not a fan of fishing with them. Maybe if you were lazy or fishing multiple rods. I prefer to feel the fish and time the strike.

One hand full of crushed mussels when I start at a new spot. No more burley after that. If the fish don’t turn up within 10 to 15 mins then move.

If fishing a paternoster rig then I keep my hook leader shorter than my dropper slightly as I find you feel more bites.

I don’t use nibble tip rods. Usually a light fibreglass abu thing that is boat tough but often I just use any light rod I have. I actually find the sensitivity of graphite bream rods gives good feel.

Different tides seem to work in different places. Always need a good flow however. I fish the sand holes in the weed. THe sand flats in front of the weed with the tide running from the sand onto the weed and both the top and bottom edge of drop offs / channels where there is weed at the top in the flats.

I fish as light as I feel comfortable. Usually 1000 - 2500 reel. 8-12 pound braid. 6-8 pound leader. Small size 8 (I think) sticky sharp long shank hook. Smallest sinker that will hold the bottom and keep changing sinker size as tide varies.

Move move move the boat until you start catching. I give a spot 15 mins then move. If the school disappears for more than 15 mins I move again.

In clear water it can’t hurt to throw over a squid jig as a sleeper. Squid and whiting often share territory.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”