Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:45 am
ducky wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:51 am
purple5ive wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:11 pm
denis barden wrote:
Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:53 pm
At least 5 sessions
Its a compressed block of what ever with Tuna Oil -Im advised -It fits into a neptune plastic pot
Im guessing 5 sessions of 2 or 3 hours as opposed to a whole day's worth of fishing
Thats still a very good option. Shame it isn't available anywhere else.
Yeah agreed. I doubt I'd keep one between sessions because for me that can be a couple weeks apart. And it probably would grow mould or whatever. But if a $7 block is gonna last me a 5-8 hour day I'm happy. I'll grab a couple to trial.
I’m interested to give this a go also. Wonder how a tuna carcass minced would go
Mince add chicken pellets $26 for 15kg. Put in to yogurt tubs or other tubs you probably put in the recycling. Put a piece of string with a loop in it. Loop exposed out the top. Freeze it. Take out pull plastic tub off attach to weighted line or Anchor. As it defrost it will send out a trail. Each one lasts an hour or two. Want them to last longer make them bigger or put the whole thing tub and all into Burley bucket.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Re: Let's talk Whiting how-to

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:55 pm

ducky wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
denis barden wrote:
At least 5 sessions
Its a compressed block of what ever with Tuna Oil -Im advised -It fits into a neptune plastic pot
Im guessing 5 sessions of 2 or 3 hours as opposed to a whole day's worth of fishing
Yeah agreed. I doubt I'd keep one between sessions because for me that can be a couple weeks apart. And it probably would grow mould or whatever. But if a $7 block is gonna last me a 5-8 hour day I'm happy. I'll grab a couple to trial.
Yep. If you dont fish as often as Dennis this would literally be covered in mould by the time its used next. Plus the smell if not stored appropriately!
But for the price it's absolutely worth for a single trip for people like us who can only get out sparingly.
If anyone has access to some locally in Melbourne then I'd def get some to trial.

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:00 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:45 am
rb85 wrote:
ducky wrote:
purple5ive wrote:
denis barden wrote:
At least 5 sessions
I’m interested to give this a go also. Wonder how a tuna carcass minced would go
Mince add chicken pellets $26 for 15kg. Put in to yogurt tubs or other tubs you probably put in the recycling. Put a piece of string with a loop in it. Loop exposed out the top. Freeze it. Take out pull plastic tub off attach to weighted line or Anchor. As it defrost it will send out a trail. Each one lasts an hour or two. Want them to last longer make them bigger or put the whole thing tub and all into Burley bucket.
I think the main thing about this berley block is the way it's been compacted, making it a very slow release burley..

If we could find a way to do the same almost any burley block could be made to last a similar time.

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:19 pm

Yeah next time I get some tuna I really do need to make some pellet burley blocks with the trim. It's a great way to stop all that prime bloody flesh from going to waste.

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:55 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:00 pm
re-tyred wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:45 am
rb85 wrote:
ducky wrote:
purple5ive wrote:

I think the main thing about this berley block is the way it's been compacted, making it a very slow release burley..

If we could find a way to do the same almost any burley block could be made to last a similar time.

They're dehydrated and compressed made up mostly of the solids left over from making oil. It would be doable at home with a fair amount of screwing around.

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:53 am

purple5ive wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:10 pm
beefy wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:07 pm
purple5ive wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:15 pm
The most important rule will always be.

LEARN TO ANCHOR PROPERLY :-D
Purple5ive,

can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "properly". Do you mean doing it quietly ?

Sure!!!

Just read and make sure you don't make the same mistake :-D

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25216
Cheers Purple5ive,

and sorry you had to deal with Mr crumpet.

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:18 pm

ango wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:40 pm
It pays to be quiet in shallow water, I motor towards the spot where I want to fish, and then cut the motor and drift until the boat stops, then I quietly let the anchor down.
Cheers
Ango.
Ha ha, just got my anchor winch re-installed and realised there's no quietly letting it down. One advantage gained, another lost.

Anyone got any ideas for what sort of tube I could put over the chain. It can't be too thick because then the winch would overfill and it's already pretty full.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:47 pm

beefy wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:18 pm
ango wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:40 pm
It pays to be quiet in shallow water, I motor towards the spot where I want to fish, and then cut the motor and drift until the boat stops, then I quietly let the anchor down.
Cheers
Ango.
Ha ha, just got my anchor winch re-installed and realised there's no quietly letting it down. One advantage gained, another lost.

Anyone got any ideas for what sort of tube I could put over the chain. It can't be too thick because then the winch would overfill and it's already pretty full.
If Firemans hoses comes in assorted diameters it lays flat when not in use and is hard wearing ...
Last edited by hornet on Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Post by re-tyred » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:58 pm

If you can't fit a hose over it. Thread a small bit of silver rope in and out of each link. So two ropes as the links are at right angles to each other. You will find it pretty much stops the noise.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

beefy

Post by beefy » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:42 pm

Cheers lads, interesting solutions. I bet firemans hose is made from something like Kevlar, because it's thin yet it takes a load of pressure.

I was thinking, I also reckon if you could fit a larger bow roller and it was the type that has the recesses molded in for the chain links, the chain may pass quietly over it.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”