Tcurve rod - fishing for whiting (Anyone use them)

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
8BALL

Tcurve rod - fishing for whiting (Anyone use them)

Post by 8BALL » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:13 pm

I'm thinking of setting up my combos for fishing out of the boat with tcurves 2-4kg rods, but unsure of how they rate (buying unsighted online... retail therapy).

How do they rate, they will be sitting in snapper racks for whiting mainly in WP (but the split butt sections have me undecided, as all my rods are full cork/rubber).

Will be setup with 2500 reels, and 10lb braid.

Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: Tcurve rod - fishing for whiting (Anyone use them)

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 pm

The new tcurve with the first ring joint?
I held the 1-3kg, kinda have regular action more than fast, be okay for whiting. The 2-4kg maybe too heavy/stiff for whiting.
If you want a dedicated whiting rod, I think there are other better suitable rod models.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:13 pm

Revolution 763NT. Once you go nibble tip you never go back

8BALL

Post by 8BALL » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:34 pm

Sebb wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:51 pm
I held the 1-3kg, kinda have regular action more than fast, be okay for whiting. The 2-4kg maybe too heavy/stiff for whiting.
If you want a dedicated whiting rod, I think there are other better suitable rod models.

Yes the one that seems to be joint at the bottom, not sure on the logic of it.

2-4 kg probably gives some flexibility in my fishing depths of the stronger currents in WP

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 pm

8BALL wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:34 pm
Sebb wrote:

2-4 kg probably gives some flexibility in my fishing depths of the stronger currents in WP
Those rods with lower joint is to make them feel like one piece. General rule is that one piece rods are better rods than multi piece rods. Although, there's a lot of good multi piece rods nowadays.

Depends where in WP, last time I fished for whiting in Coronet Bay, I used my old Daiwa Tierra 1-3kg nibble tip and was perfect. The nibble tip makes a lot of diff.
But yes, most WP has strong current that needs heavier sinker, thus heavier rod class.

If you could, find a 2-4kg nibble tip rod. If you go Japanese JDM, they have rods with solid tip (soft tip like a nibble tip rod). So they can have heavier class rod for heavier weight but still got soft tip to detect those subtle bites without giving too much resistance.
E.g. this zodias is rated 3-6lb, but has ideal casting weight 2.5-10g just like most 2-4kg rod and it's a fast rod with solid tip (soft tip).

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/categ ... pid/320206

That revolution rod mentioned by Cobby is good and it's 1-4kg, ideal cast weight 2-8g.
cobby wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:13 pm
Yup, perfect whiting rod. I like it too.

8BALL

Post by 8BALL » Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Sebb wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:06 pm
8BALL wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:34 pm
Sebb wrote:

Those rods with lower joint is to make them feel like one piece. General rule is that one piece rods are better rods than multi piece rods. Although, there's a lot of good multi piece rods nowadays.

Depends where in WP, last time I fished for whiting in Coronet Bay, I used my old Daiwa Tierra 1-3kg nibble tip and was perfect. The nibble tip makes a lot of diff.
But yes, most WP has strong current that needs heavier sinker, thus heavier rod class.

If you could, find a 2-4kg nibble tip rod. If you go Japanese JDM, they have rods with solid tip (soft tip like a nibble tip rod). So they can have heavier class rod for heavier weight but still got soft tip to detect those subtle bites without giving too much resistance.
E.g. this zodias is rated 3-6lb, but has ideal casting weight 2.5-10g just like most 2-4kg rod and it's a fast rod with solid tip (soft tip).

https://fishing.asian-portal.shop/categ ... pid/320206

That revolution rod mentioned by Cobby is good and it's 1-4kg, ideal cast weight 2-8g.
cobby wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:13 pm
Yup, perfect whiting rod. I like it too.

Hi Sebb, i prefer to buy locally incase i need to return back for whatever reason but the website provided looks pretty cheap.
I fish the bottom end of WP (Stony point/THB etc) 6-8m but then 2 - 3 metres sometimes.

Is the tip very stiff compared to a nibble tip (Also, the fact is i'm getting the tcurve for <$200 is somewhat appealing)

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:26 pm

8BALL wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Hi Sebb, i prefer to buy locally incase i need to return back for whatever reason
Fair enough
8BALL wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Is the tip very stiff compared to a nibble tip
Are you referring to tcurve?
Most fast rod are stiff all the way to the tip, and yes stiffer than a nibble tip rod. Nibble tip is almost no resistance (very soft), hence it's good for picky nibbly fish like whiting, even bream. Or any other fish when they're fussy. Makes them to commit more to make a sure bite, and hold longer too, before they realise something wrong and let go. More time for us to strike and set the hook.

But that 1-3 tcurve with first ring joint felt like a regular rod then I played with it (imagine a squid rod), abit soft, wobbly and whippy. So although it's not a nibble tip rod and not as soft tip, I reckon it'll still be good for whiting. Not sure about the 2-4kg model though.

8BALL

Post by 8BALL » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:29 pm

Thanks

What would you rate the 2-4kg rod being more suited towards?

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:48 pm

I use 2-4kg for pinkie, flatty, small to medium salmon and tailor. And some freshwater (big trout, bass, etc.).
You can catch/land bigger fish ofc, depends on the condition.

The rating also dictates the casting weight I can and want use (e.g. in deeper water, faster current, or need longer distance). So you're right about using heavier rod in WP where the water has fast current and needing heavy sinker.

So basically I decide what rod to use based on the condition I fish. What weight I want to use, how far do I need to cast, etc, then pick the suitable rod for it.

Hope that makes sense and help you deciding.
I basically have one rod reel for each application I need.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”