Landbased Whiting ?

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
StarrangerAU
Has liked: 58 times

Landbased Whiting ?

Post by StarrangerAU » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Folks,

When I was a young fellow up on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, many a (every) weekend was spent on the sand flats and river banks of the Maroochy River, Tewantin Creek, Noosa River, or around Caloundra or Bribie, frequently landing bream, whiting, flatties and trevellay. Certainly there was no shortage of landbased opportunities no matter where you went.

Now-a-days, being tethered to Melbourne without much opportunity to escape to those sunny Queensland beaches every weekend I get terribly green with envy of the whiting reports that the boaties put up from out on the waters of Clifton Springs/St Leonards and the like..

Without expecting so much as precise locations... can folk offer any suggestions on what Victorian land based locations would be good to chase the 'ting.

The Flinders Pier seems to be popular about halfway out, similarly I think I see the old salties working the Point Lonsdale Pier about 1/3 away along that pier. Can anyone offer any suggestions for inside PPB ?

A bit further afield I get a feeling the Welshpool Long Jetty, or even Inverloch - Andersons Inlet, should be quite reasonable at the high tide using some locally pumped yabbies...

Thanks in advance for your responses :gj:

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Re: Landbased Whiting ?

Post by eddyt » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 pm

Off the beaches after dark is usually the go. I've also got them off most of the piers before where there is a bit of reef. Try the piers around port Melbourne, beaches around black rock to Mordialloc, Mornington beaches and the pier, Portsea pier. Best times are when the wind picks up.

WPB also has good Whiting landbased apparently, but I don't have any good spots. Warneet pier gets me 1 Whiting to every 200-300 toadies I catch but there's big trevally and mullet there too.

They are in better numbers when the water cools. I usually start targeting them after Easter.

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:01 pm

eddyt wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Off the beaches after dark is usually the go. I've also got them off most of the piers before where there is a bit of reef. Try the piers around port Melbourne, beaches around black rock to Mordialloc, Mornington beaches and the pier, Portsea pier. Best times are when the wind picks up.
So I was out walking the beach between Sandringham and Black Rock the other week, and was seeing all these nice gutters and thinking to myself I really ought to get back here and give these a go...so are you suggesting that despite the absence of inshore weed beds in that area the ting are a reasonable probability?

I was under the impression that the weed beds were a necessity...

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm

I caught them late at night at pt gellibrand car park williamstown n st leonards pier.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:12 pm

bowl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm
I caught them late at night at pt gellibrand car park williamstown n st leonards pier.
...added Point Gellibrand to the list. :tu:

Common theme already seems that for landbased whiting , chase them after dark .... where as boaties seem to be able to land them during the day.

e.welch
Has liked: 190 times

Post by e.welch » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm

StarrangerAU wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:12 pm
bowl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:02 pm
...added Point Gellibrand to the list. :tu:

Common theme already seems that for landbased whiting , chase them after dark .... where as boaties seem to be able to land them during the day.
at night the whiting come in closer during the day they are out deeper at night of the rocks at olivers hill you can catch them

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:24 pm

anthonys nose at dromana is a good landbased spot ive heard

bowl
Has liked: 292 times

Post by bowl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:32 pm

Theres plenty of structure around kirks pt .
Bit dark n isolated at night.
To many boats kayak, helicopter , catch a fish,catch a fish

StarrangerAU

Post by StarrangerAU » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:33 pm

e.welch wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:19 pm
at night the whiting come in closer during the day they are out deeper at night of the rocks at olivers hill you can catch them
Appreciate the advice...

Well I think I'll try the Sandringham / Black Rock gutters after dark on the high tide as a start seeings it closer to home, and will give Oliver's Hill a go whilst on my way to Mornington.

eddyt
Has liked: 25 times

Post by eddyt » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:37 pm

There's small weed beds everywhere, just need to find them! But yes. Weed beds are not a must have. Haven't snagged any big weeds at that spot yet anyway.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”