Land Based KGW

King George Whiting, KGW, Ting
Tony T

Land Based KGW

Post by Tony T » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:44 am

Hi guys I'm new to Fishing Victoria and looking to target some KGW. Any recommendations for a land based spot western port or port Phillip

CarlG
Has liked: 1 time

Re: Land Based KGW

Post by CarlG » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:16 pm

Thin on the ground down on the peninsula mate. I think the netters have smashed them..keep seeing mats of sea grass floating past the piers..not a good sign..
Carl..

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:18 pm

i have been catching them off the beaches. haven't caught my limit in them or anything but on good calm days i can usually catch like 4 or 5 when im targeting them. i usually use a whole loaf of bread broken up into big pieces soaked with tuna oil in a burley bag to wash around in the surf. and use size 1 or 2 circle hooks with squid strips or pipies for bait. look for areas with reef or seaweed and sand between. get your bait in the sandy areas.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm

Tomcat1 wrote:i have been catching them off the beaches. haven't caught my limit in them or anything but on good calm days i can usually catch like 4 or 5 when im targeting them. i usually use a whole loaf of bread broken up into big pieces soaked with tuna oil in a burley bag to wash around in the surf. and use size 1 or 2 circle hooks with squid strips or pipies for bait. look for areas with reef or seaweed and sand between. get your bait in the sandy areas.
Where have you been catching them? :o
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

Tomcat1

Post by Tomcat1 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm not going to say where i catch them lol. Last time i told of a good fishing spot it got so full i couldn't get a line out to fish lol. it took me a while to find my little KGW spot so i'm not giving up the location hahahaha.

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Master-pro wrote:
Tomcat1 wrote:i have been catching them off the beaches. haven't caught my limit in them or anything but on good calm days i can usually catch like 4 or 5 when im targeting them. i usually use a whole loaf of bread broken up into big pieces soaked with tuna oil in a burley bag to wash around in the surf. and use size 1 or 2 circle hooks with squid strips or pipies for bait. look for areas with reef or seaweed and sand between. get your bait in the sandy areas.
Where have you been catching them? :o

As Tomcat1 said "look for areas with reef or seaweed and sand between and get your bait in the sandy areas".

There are plenty of places like this all throughout the bay.

Google Earth is your friend when looking for locations to target specific species like whiting.

Plenty of beach and heaps of space available...

For example I would cast into the green arrow areas below. Also, whiting feed in very shallow water after dark which makes them a great land based option.
whiting-grounds.jpg
whiting-grounds.jpg (81.86 KiB) Viewed 950 times
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

hskim00

Post by hskim00 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:58 am

fishingvic wrote: For example I would cast into the green arrow areas below. Also, whiting feed in very shallow water after dark which makes them a great land based option.
whiting-grounds.jpg
That location in the picture looks very familiar to me :victory: Yeah, Google Earth has been a good friend of mine. Needless to say I fished there for nothing to be had. Probably I wasn't there at the right time.

Tonyzee

Post by Tonyzee » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 am

Yep pretty much find your own landbased whiting spot! :haha2:

In all honesty most will never give away their precious spots and I tend to agree, as 1 they won't be able to go there and 2 there will be a fair bit of fishing and most likely no more fish. When it comes to whiting it is even more guarded. The best way to find fish is to take some fishing gear, and fish a whole heap of places or just watch or visit and see if anyone catches any fish, "research".

But sorry to be blunt but the fact of the matter here quality landbased fish are scarce, most times you get a good bag there is a huge element of luck.

Master-pro

Post by Master-pro » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:19 am

That picture looks a lot like merricks...
PB- Snapper 55cm, Whiting 38cm, Flathead 55cm, Bream 38cm, Australian Salmon 55cm, Carp 80cm

fishingvic
Site Admin
Site Admin
Has liked: 386 times

Post by fishingvic » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:39 am

Master-pro wrote:That picture looks a lot like merricks...
maybe I will offer a prize if you can guess this "random" location...

and it's not Merricks
Fishing Victoria Admin
http://www.fishing-victoria.com
Fishing Victoria - Forums for fishing and angling in Victoria, Australia.

Return to “Whiting Fishing”