Preparing the boat for the season

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
re-tyred
Has liked: 375 times

Preparing the boat for the season

Post by re-tyred » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:58 pm

I have been away up in QLD since May. Up there to avoid the Vic weather.
Before went I removed pretty much everything from the boat and stored it in the shed. This has turned out a good move as now I am cleaning up the boat and going through everything before stowing it back.
So far I have : serviced the inflatable life jackets.
checked all the safety gear for expiry dates and noticed my rocket flare is due next month.
Checked online for epirb and PLB registration dates.
Checked fire extinguisher, buckets
Checked anchor rope/chain and shackles.
changed the gearbox oil
Checked the battery and electrics for signs of corrosion.
washed the hull out and cleaned all the dirt , leaves, weed etc.
Tested the auto and manual bilge pumps.
Checked wheel bearings
checked trailer electrics and safety chain.
tested the VHF.

Other years that I have been home and continued to fish all this gets done a bit add hoc , when I get around to it sort of thing.
I found doing it like this, that next winter, I might just unload it all, even if I am not going away. It makes you check absolutely everything.
Just wondering how others keep up on their user maintenance.

Planning to do a salmon bait gathering day later this week to start to stock up on snapper/ gummy/ flathead bait.
Just need some flat calm weather so I can fish the gutters around the bar.
There's nothing . . . absolutely nothing . . . half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats.
Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)

Bugatti

Re: Preparing the boat for the season

Post by Bugatti » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:59 pm

Great "Spring Clean" and checks there re-tyred. It is amazing all the little things that get overlooked with add-hoc once overs. And a great thread (with Denis's maintenance thread) to get things sorted and right for the start of the Spring and Summer seasons

It hopefully motivates me.

Um, I might have missed a few of your suggestions, can you come round and show me, on my Boat. Snacks and Beverages shall be provided , by you of course :-D

Cheers, Bug , , , , looking for someone now to show me how to clean my gutters, and yes, Snacks and Beverages shall be provided , , , , and yes, by you :-D

Dr Snapper
Has liked: 7 times

Re: Preparing the boat for the season

Post by Dr Snapper » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:20 pm

re-tyred wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:58 pm
I have been away up in QLD since May. Up there to avoid the Vic weather.
I hope in about 10 years time to be writing the same thing. Is it me, or has this winter in Melbourne been worse than most?

Return to “General”