Custom made roof rack? Does anyone know

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
skronkman
Has liked: 4 times

Re: Custom made roof rack? Does anyone know

Post by skronkman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 pm

I’ve put 2 kayaks on my roof racks before. It worked, just, and I wouldn’t recommend it. My kayaks are much smaller too but still quite wide (not real fishing or ocean going kayaks). It was awkward. Mine were side by side but on on their side (bums together). Had to strap each one down individually as trying to do them together never seemed to pull up tight and not slip.

Check out pick-a-part or jolly Rogers for a tow bar you can uninstall at the wreckers and reinstall yourself at home. It’s like 4 bolts usually. You can grab the wiring harness too or it’s not overly difficult to tap into a tail light and have the trailer plug in the boot.

I dont know any trailer guys well enough to recommend a build but if you’re going to be doing this a lot then it’s probably worth getting it done properly or at least use a modified boat trailer with some strategically placed bits of 2x4.

Im pretty sure it’s illegal to have anything protruding from the back of a 6x4 trailer.

cheaterparts
Has liked: 4 times

Post by cheaterparts » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:22 pm

Guess I could do that. Call around wreckers see if any got a tow bar for my car. The kayak trailer will cost me a good few hundred dollars too. Do you know how much of where I can get kayak trailer? Second hand id possible. There's few boat trailers but not kayak trailers.
it depends on what car you have I think I paid $60 for my tow bar from the wreckers but then it was to fit BA falcon wagon and they are common and easy to find
I pulled it off a car and had it fitted the same afternoon

IMG_1548.JPG
as for trailers well this is what I made up to replace my older kayak trailer I still have the box to fit for gear thats 240 cm by 80 cm and 45 cm high
there are 2 cross bars that clamp onto the centre section to fit 2 sets of lockracks to carry 2 more fishing skis and up to 5.75 meter long skis

because I had planned to carry up to 3 fishing skis and gear for trips away I fitted electric brakes and made it to carry the weight needed
My kayak PBs
Gummy shark 128 Cm - Elephant fish 85 Cm - Snapper 91 Cm - KG Whiting 49 Cm - Flathead 55 Cm - Garfish 47 Cm - Silver Trevally 40 Cm - Long Tail Tuna 86 Cm - snook 64 Cm - Couta 71 Cm - Sth Calamari 44 Cm hood - Cobia 117 cm

Cheater

Sebb
Has liked: 3001 times

Post by Sebb » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:28 pm

Okay so this has turned into another rocket science for me. A lot to consider, mostly obviously safety and money, then the convenience and timing of getting a diff car.
Thanks guys for input, much appreciated.

I guess the best in safety is to put the titan 10.5 on a trailer being it 44kg and 95cm wide, and put the slayer 10 on the roof rack as its only 28kg.

But yeh, tow bar and trailer, even if second hand, gonna cost a fair bit of money. Though we will split the cost. Most likely he'll pay for the trailer since its for his kayak and I'll pay for the tow bar since it'll be on my car.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Robbie1950
Has liked: 213 times

Post by Robbie1950 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 am

Tradesman roofracks in Bayswater. Best in the business!

ducky
Has liked: 22 times

Post by ducky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Just send it mate.
Attachments
1C489775-A6F4-426A-B717-F2493E68920D.jpeg

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:45 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:41 pm
Just send it mate.
Nice and stable? no wind issue?
I think i'm gonna try that. Titan lay flat and the Slayer sideways like your orange kayak.

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Put the Titan on. Tie it down. Slayer on top of that and tie it down.

J racks are ok but if the slayer nests on the Titan that would be the better option.

Use good quality straps and not ridiculous ratchet straps. And loop them so it tensions down properly and you won’t have a problem.

Like most things in life. don’t be stupid and bad things won’t happen...

Did 800kms that day to fish the broken and a few other rivers. No issues.

Have taken twin slayers around like that for at least 2000kms for no issues.

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:01 pm

What car are you driving anyway and what are your roof racks like?

I’d add a third rack to the front above the drivers head well before building a trailer for a fuggen yak. What a pain in the arse and ridiculous overkill for what is meant to be a portable fishing solution.

Sebb

Post by Sebb » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm

ducky wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:01 pm
What car are you driving anyway and what are your roof racks like?
Hyundai i30 wagon 2.0 Lt petrol. Raised roof rail with 80 kg even distribution rating.
ducky wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:01 pm
I’d add a third rack to the front above the drivers head well before building a trailer for a fuggen yak. What a pain in the arse and ridiculous overkill for what is meant to be a portable fishing solution.
Exactly my thought (initially), hence wanted some sorta good roof rack to accommodate.

My current roof rack is an aftermarket, who knows how much it can hold, but most roof rack can hold 75 kg.

The main concern is that the roof rack (and most roof rack) spans 120cm. The Titan alone is already 95cm (the width of the Titan is 95cm). Not much left for the Slayer 10. Maybe can squish in with a Jrack and put it sideways like your orange one.
Thought of putting the Slayer on top of the Titan, but the guy at Capacity Sports said try not to. Might slip, possible cracks, etc etc. Was thinking to put a yoga mat in between or something.

ducky

Post by ducky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:33 pm

Nest the slayer on top of the Titan mate. It’ll likely be the easiest way.

Does it have the rails or are they gutter mount?

That orange yak is on a j rack fyi

Return to “Off Topic Forum”