Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
DougieK
Has liked: 30 times

Re: Snapper fishing may be banned for three years in SA

Post by DougieK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:17 pm
I could of bagged out on Salmon on the weekend but thought i had enough and went home. Some limits seem over the top to me.
The Aus salmon limit baffles me. WTF you gonna do with 20 sambos?
Chasing LBG and sharing a love for the Martial Arts, everywhere, all the time.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

Kingfish : 61

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:59 pm
John Dory wrote:
I could of bagged out on Salmon on the weekend but thought i had enough and went home. Some limits seem over the top to me.
I know man. They were all around the 45cm mark. I kept 8 because i like to use fillets for bait but ill also give some to a mate and my dad. When i looked up the bag limit as i was fishing i thought i read it wrong. Insane

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:08 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:07 pm
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
I know man. They were all around the 45cm mark. I kept 8 because i like to use fillets for bait but ill also give some to a mate and my dad. When i looked up the bag limit as i was fishing i thought i read it wrong. Insane
I've kept a bag a couple of times stocking the bait freezer for snapper season / sharking sessions. There's nothing like landing 20 in a row down the end of Gunnamatta then realising you have a 30kg string of fish and the car is 3km away.

LBG Season 2023/4 :

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:08 pm
John Dory wrote:
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
I've kept a bag a couple of times stocking the bait freezer for snapper season / sharking sessions. There's nothing like landing 20 in a row down the end of Gunnamatta then realising you have a 30kg string of fish and the car is 3km away.
Haha i could imagine. That bag was heavy enough. Get a little kick out of walking past the other fishos who got nothing though haha

4liters
Has liked: 6 times

Post by 4liters » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 pm

DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Burley. If you're like me and turn 10kg of burley into two garfish you need a lot of salmon
2015/16 Fisting Victoria Species comp total: 289cm
Brown Trout: 37cm
Flathead: 51cm; Squid: 36cm; Australian Salmon: 51cm; Snapper 46cm; Silver Trevally 23cm; KGW: 45cm
Major Sponsor: Rim Master Tackle

dmck
Has liked: 35 times

Post by dmck » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm

DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Bleed them immediately they are landed, fillet and skin, coat with Tandaco fish seasoning, cook on a wire grill over coals. THey are superb eating.

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:22 pm

John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 pm
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Haha i could imagine. That bag was heavy enough. Get a little kick out of walking past the other fishos who got nothing though haha
Experience makes the difference.....

LBG Season 2023/4 :

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:32 pm

dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:21 pm
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
Bleed them immediately they are landed, fillet and skin, coat with Tandaco fish seasoning, cook on a wire grill over coals. THey are superb eating.
Gotta try that. I never eat them

John Dory

Post by John Dory » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:33 pm

DougieK wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:22 pm
John Dory wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:12 pm
DougieK wrote:
John Dory wrote:
DougieK wrote:

Experience makes the difference.....
Jeez some chunky ones there. Bloody fun to catch

cobby
Has liked: 136 times

Post by cobby » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:39 pm

rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:48 pm
dmck wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:45 pm
rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:35 pm
rb85 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:34 pm
cobby wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:15 pm

This x1,000,000. Do people forget what happened here during the 90s? And then what happened early to mid 2000s? Let's see, you ban a stupidly destructive practice and start cleaning up inflows. Allowing what little biomass remaining to spawn successfully and let the larvae settle almost undisturbed with some protection as they grow rinse and repeat for a few more years as more and more numbers spawn increasing the recruitment three fold and bam! Victoria's Snapper fishery hasn't really looked back give or take for recruitment variances.

Which is why the shellfish bed restoration projects along with other habitat rebuilding and creation projects will do a hell of a lot more for Snapper fishing in this state than just about every single thing ever mentioned or done in the past 20 years
Same with Whiting and to a lesser extent Kingfish
Management practices have resulted in a resurgent SBT fishery also
I think most SA fishers look at Vic Fisheries management with considerable envy.
Sorry for going off topic the management of the SBT fishery is a national effort I believe
International via Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA) setting TAC quota under agreed levels set by the Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna (CCSBT) which is made up of all nations who commercially fish the species

Return to “General”