How do you respond??

All topics related to fishing and angling in Victoria that don't fit into one of the other forum categories.
Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Re: How do you respond??

Post by Texas » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:07 pm

My mate Barmah Pete says "why do you want to go fishing, you never catch anything ???"
Mates, Bush, peace, maybe a fish, mates
That's all I need
Cheers Gra

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Post by Nude up » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 pm

Normally when I roll up with the boat on the back I get pestered to take them fishing. As sinsemilla said just ignore them they obviously have no idea and probably couldn’t catch a fish to save their lives. Remember Vegan is an old English word for village idiot who can’t hunt or fish.

happyfriggincamper
Has liked: 556 times

Post by happyfriggincamper » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:35 pm

I used to feel a need to justify "why" to those that asked with a predefined opinion and closed mind - but ive learnt over time (via this and other channels of life), its easier to let it pass. let them have their view/mindset and rather than get pissed off (interally or externally), i actually empathise (internally) with those types - imo its a sad way to live life with a pre-defined and closed mindset, it must certainly make life harder, less fulfilling and less enjoyable than it needs to be. Not how i choose to try and approach life at least - but that's my choice, as it's their choice as well.

Also those that "hate" are usually outward projecting on others to compensate relatable to some sort of insecurity with their own life they are not willing to face or do the work to overcome.

Those that may only have a surface level interest or disagree (see: eco extremists, vegans, etc) , but are genuine and respectful about it - more than happy to elaborate with those types regardless of where their interest or agreement sits.

ben475
Has liked: 162 times

Post by ben475 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Wouldn't let their responses bother you Seb. Don’t Take Anything Personally.
Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:42 pm

All i wpuld say is
I like to.fish and if you dont thats your choice lol

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:44 pm

Can’t say I’ve encountered this but I don’t associate with pretentious half wits. As for fishing being a lazy mans sport I find I work pretty hard fishing bait or lures on kayak, boat or land based.

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:20 pm

Seb85 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 pm
Hi all,

Do you get a lot of stereotyping responses when you say something like I like fishing, I go fishing, I do fishing now instead of football and everything else along the line.
The usual responses are a big laugh, fishing is for lazy people, so what you just sit there and do nothing, etc...

9 out of 10 those people dont fish. As much as I want to understand them, it also pisses me off... these blinded people who knows nothing about fishing, yet they're throwing words.

I remember I was picking up a mate to go fishing on a nice day, saw his housemate and asked politely if he'd want to joing. His response was "naahh... Fishing is for lazy people, you guys just gonna sit there all day doing nothing", ironically he said that while sitting on a couch eating chips drinking coke in front of a TV. In my head was like "who's the lazy a$$??"

My usual response : "I go fishing to avoid people like you" :water: :rofl:
Haha fishing is for lazy people huh?
The amount of walking and casting the missus and I have done over the past few days...

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:22 pm

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:37 pm
Seb85 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:01 pm
Hi all,

Do you get a lot of stereotyping responses when you say something like I like fishing, I go fishing, I do fishing now instead of football and everything else along the line.
The usual responses are a big laugh, fishing is for lazy people, so what you just sit there and do nothing, etc...

9 out of 10 those people dont fish. As much as I want to understand them, it also pisses me off... these blinded people who knows nothing about fishing, yet they're throwing words.

I remember I was picking up a mate to go fishing on a nice day, saw his housemate and asked politely if he'd want to joing. His response was "naahh... Fishing is for lazy people, you guys just gonna sit there all day doing nothing", ironically he said that while sitting on a couch eating chips drinking coke in front of a TV. In my head was like "who's the lazy a$$??"

My usual response : "I go fishing to avoid people like you" :water: :rofl:
Fishing is for the opportunity to get away from the issues of the world and enjoy times with mates
For sure mate. The amount of times I’ve had a bad day and go for a fish with a mate and come home feeling so much better :P

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:19 pm

In through one ear and out the other!!! Simple as that...

When they eventually hear about the fact you never have to buy fish ever again. They will.usully change their mind about their opinion on fishing...

I cant say that I have had anyone question me about why I like it though ..

KeenAds
Has liked: 23 times

Post by KeenAds » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 pm

I don't feel the need to justify or explain fishing to anyone that doesn't get it like the way us members do. To me its all about being out there exploring nature and finding new spots. Its the sense of adventure and feeling free no stress of everyday work or family life just spending time with mates and family. If we catch fish that's a bonus I just love being out there not much for them to understand really.

Return to “General”