Trip to the 'roop 9/6/19

Redhunter
Has liked: 138 times

Trip to the 'roop 9/6/19

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:20 pm

Gday folks,
Anticipated a trip to Tullaroop on Saturday, but changed plans and headed up Sunday instead. Left home with a slight breeze about, but by the time I got closer to Castlemaine the fog started to roll in and that breeze had disappeared. Beauty! Arrived at the ramp and it was like Bourke Street. Much busier than I'd anticipated, but I wasn't deterred. Dropped the boat in quite easily, and off we chugged in glassy conditions flat out at a whopping 3.5km/h. It was a beautiful morning. The top end of the lake was copping a hammering. You'd think it was big red season! Not knowing exactly what to expect, I more so wanted to treat it as a scouting mission. All I really knew was what I had previously experienced from the banks. I was expecting it to be a very deep lake, but it wasn't quite as deep as I thought. Getting away from the hoards of other boats/yaks, I was feeling better about fishing areas that had not experienced as much pressure. A spread of 4 lures, chopping and changing as we went, but the fish just weren't on. The barometer was quite high towards the end of the week and the fishing was great, then there was a downward spiral over the weekend and it shut them down. The fish could be seen on the sounder but they just weren't feeding. Ended up with 1 reddie at 28cms for the day. Oh well, it just means I'll have to go back for another crack and try again...

Nude up
Has liked: 333 times

Re: Trip to the 'roop 9/6/19

Post by Nude up » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm

Do you think all the traffic had something to do with it or just one of them days freshwater fishing is tough.

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 pm

Nude up wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 pm
Do you think all the traffic had something to do with it or just one of them days freshwater fishing is tough.
I don't think the boat traffic would affect them too much, as it's all electric and paddle power.
Just unlucky. It makes you think more and work harder next time ;-)

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:20 am

Great post Red :a_goodjob:

I love reports like this as it is all about the Fishing, not only about the fish. Seems you had a great day. Always nice having new experiences and not just following the hoards, making your own fun and not just trying to latch onto someone else's.

The debrief of a trip is always fun , , , , the whys, the hows and the strategies for next trip.

Fun is not at the hook end of the rod, it's at the handle end :thumbsup:

Cheers, Bugatti

Sebb
Has liked: 2997 times

Post by Sebb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for the report. You mentioned the trouts were showing on the sounder, at what depth? And how deep was the lake you fished?
I'm planning to go on my yak and trolling deep dive lures, wonder if it'll work.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Redhunter

Post by Redhunter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm

No such thing as "trouts" Sebo, you must be referring to trout! What works one day may not work the next, therefore I'd recommend taking a variety of lures. That way you have a mix of different actions, along with different colours, to try out on the day. The fish were sitting at all sorts of different depths, which varied depending on the depth I was sitting in and what time of day it was. The deeper sections were 46ft, which is 14m. Sticking closer to the shoreline where it's shallower would be wise. Good luck!

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm

i was expecting to see some monster trout when i seen the heading of the report, seen its been fishing well on social media reports... better luck next time..

Redhunter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
No such thing as "trouts" Sebo, you must be referring to trout!
Add squids and salmons to that list as well!!!

Lightningx
Bluefin
Bluefin
Has liked: 72 times

Post by Lightningx » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Nice report mate!
Hopefully some more luck next time round.
Cheers :thumbsup:

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:05 pm

purple5ive wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:25 pm
i was expecting to see some monster trout when i seen the heading of the report, seen its been fishing well on social media reports... better luck next time..

Redhunter wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:50 pm
No such thing as "trouts" Sebo, you must be referring to trout!
Add squids and salmons to that list as well!!!
Not to mention breams and carps!!!! Glad we sorted that out!

Good report RH! Any idea what fishing may be like from the bank?
Cheers
Jims

Boonanza
Has liked: 270 times

Post by Boonanza » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:41 pm

Let the cold weather come on and all the crowds will disappear then it will be the best time to get the real big buggers. :thumbsup:
A smart person knows what to say. A wise person knows whether to say it.

Return to “Other Victorian Fishing Reports”