A special request

Everything that has nothing to do with fishing.
Sebb
Has liked: 3010 times

Re: A special request

Post by Sebb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:35 pm

tracks wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:24 am
Eildon fish farm has closed down and has sold all it's stock, but there are others around like Buxton and Ballarat, I think a fish farm would be the best bet for a definite catch.
Is that the one on back eildon road?
Used to go to that place to practice fly fishing. $25 catch and release (fly only) weekdays.
------------------------------
A fish is a fish :ft:
No fish is worth a life, stay safe

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:58 pm

smokin

I bought two reels like what Cornacarpio uses to catch Carp , , , , I did get them at a very low price

smokin 3.PNG

I'm quite happy to modify one (and send it to you) so it still works as a normal reel (for you to cast and set the rod up) BUT it can easily have a Cordless Drill connected to the handle when a fish is on for easy retrieve. This way, it is still a Rod & Reel and should give the closest thing to a reel experience for her.

smokin 2.PNG

PM me if you wish and we can work out if it is an option you think suits what you are after.

Cheers, Bill

smokin_reels
Has liked: 308 times

Post by smokin_reels » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:58 pm
smokin

I bought two reels like what Cornacarpio uses to catch Carp , , , , I did get them at a very low price

smokin 3.PNG

I'm quite happy to modify one (and send it to you) so it still works as a normal reel (for you to cast and set the rod up) BUT it can easily have a Cordless Drill connected to the handle when a fish is on for easy retrieve. This way, it is still a Rod & Reel and should give the closest thing to a reel experience for her.

smokin 2.PNG

PM me if you wish and we can work out if it is an option you think suits what you are after.

Cheers, Bill

That sounds awesome. would be great if you could. Will hit you up on a PM.
Fishomicko has very generously offered to loan me his deep dropper. Would be good to run two setups on carp and see what she likes better .
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

GusG
Has liked: 41 times

Post by GusG » Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:27 pm

What a great thread, Smokin you are a legend and everyone else, good on you for trying to assist. Some great karma for everyone here, top bunch of people on this site

tracks

Post by tracks » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

Yes the Eildon back road trout farm has closed, bit of a shame as my grandkids caught their first trout there.

That reel mod is a top idea, how good is that.

smile0784
Has liked: 39 times

Post by smile0784 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 am

Bugatti wrote:
smokin

smokin 3.PNG

smokin 2.PNG

Cheers, Bill
Great idea mate.
Can you just take the pin out of the handle to remove the handle to leave the shaft for the drill chuck?

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 am

Bugatti wrote:
smokin

smokin 3.PNG

smokin 2.PNG

Cheers, Bill
Some good work happening here great work Smokin.
Bill can’t Caitlin to see a photo of this engineering masterpiece.

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:44 am

smile0784 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 am

Great idea mate.
Can you just take the pin out of the handle to remove the handle to leave the shaft for the drill chuck?

Yeah, smile, I thought about that too BUT then the reel wouldn't have a handle on it and thus wouldn't be able to be used to cast/set as a normal reel. It would be cumbersome to use it with a Cordless Drill always attached or managed solely with a Cordless Drill.

rb85 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:31 am

Some good work happening here great work Smokin.
Bill can’t Caitlin to see a photo of this engineering masterpiece.

rb, I would love to take credit for the "engineering masterpiece" , , , , but the idea is actually a combination of Gultch's (to connect a Cordless Drill) , , , , AND , , , , Jim's (to use a reel like everybody else, so smokin's friend can be treated equally with a reel that looks like a normal reel) , , , , just being able to "quick connect" a Cordless Drill for "ease" of reeling in. So really, it is great that Gultch & Jim had the ideas and put them forward.

Gultch78 wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:50 pm
Maybe use a crappy egg beater or drum reel with a cordless drill on the side
April Fool wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:21 pm
Will it be physically hard for your mate to reel a 'normal' reel?

may I suggest you use a normal reel (and that will make it reel!)...like everybody else would use and I would hazard a guess that your mate wants to be treated equally.

What I'm hoping to achieve, is to replace the "Handle Shaft" by machining a Driver Bit to fit through the Reel, so the handle can still be attached at one end and the other end being able to be used by a Cordless Drill , , , , so being able to be worked in both ways.

smokin 1a.PNG

Here is a photo, with the Driver Bit placed under the Reel (not machined and installed yet), to give you an idea of what the Reel should look like. A normal looking Reel so smokin can use it as per a normal Reel/Rod setup AND smokin's friend can use it when a Cordless Drill is connected and operating the other end of the Handle Shaft. AND still feel that she is operating a normal Reel/Rod , , , , be it with Drill assist :)

smokin 2a.PNG

So it can feel as real as possible, this right angle extension is going to be connected to the Cordless Drill. smokin's friend can operate the Drill which shall reel in the fish AND she can still see the Reel/Rod working as a normal Reel/Rod. With the Drill/Extension setup connected to the Reel, she would be about half a meter from the Reel/Rod and be able to see it all happening in front of her, as we all do when we bring in a fish. Also with the extension being a flexible extension, that should accommodate any handling difficulty, shaking , , , , so that the Reel/Rod setup when it is being used by smokin's friend won't be too disrupted.

smokin 3a.PNG

The extension comes with a quick "Click on" & "Click off" fitting, so no cumbersome fiddling for smokin when he needs to attach the Drill/Extension setup.

smokin 4a.PNG

My Mum has Parkinson's Disease and I try to make her life as easy and as normal as I can. I have watched a disgusting behaviour by her so called friends. Most of her so called "loyal and life-long" friends have abandoned her. The biggest pain & suffering of most ailments/afflictions isn't the ailment/affliction itself but how others treat them. So, I have great respect for smokin and his wife for what they are trying to do.

So, no "engineering masterpiece" , , , , I'm just an empathetic pleb with a grinder, who steals other people's ideas.

Undies Bugattiman, shall come to anyone's assistance.

Bug undiesman.PNG

Cheers, Undies Bugattiman :oops:

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:13 am

Thanks mate. That sounds perfect. Its just about finding that balance between normalcy and craziness. We don't want people to feel special, we want them to feel like people. This setup should work nicely.
There is always more to learn , fish to catch , places to see and friends to make.

smokin_reels

Post by smokin_reels » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 am

Let me know how testing goes.

Return to “Off Topic Forum”