Boof Diary 2019

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Re: Boof Diary 2019

Post by April Fool » Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am

Great to see you back Will...for your own good! And for the good of the forum...more often than not when I log on and look at the unread posts, I don't bother looking at them but that has changed. Spectacular reports you have posted.

I had my first intro to the Hughes Creek last March. Spent 2 days as a radio operator in a CFA comms van somewhere there. A few other fires over the summer in the catchment as well but hopefully they may not have much effect. Where I was it looked like sparse pasture burnt which hopefully didn't leave much ash...no crown fire as well so that must be good. I saw very little of the creek but it looked good sort of...just add water.

And speaking of adding water...when I drive over the Sevens at Shepp it looks rather 'blackish'! Is there a chance if we get heavy rain the Goulburn may be hit with a blackwater event? Reality is the creeks need the water. The Hughes had risen a bit...must be good. I also believe your return here brought the rain to rescue the fish!!! Ok, now I am waffling on!

The swimbait rod you don't like....what is it that annoys you, just too long and awkward for the riverbank trees?

Last but not least...you should get a gopro and video your trips then post it up here for us. With your knowledge you can add informative commentary...it would be brilliant to watch your captures with some tips thrown in on what/how you do things. As opposed to so many 'look at me' fishing vids which feature individuals catching fish without any input to help their viewers....about as exciting as a used kleenex tissue to me.
Cheers
Team Bender
I think that is all!

dazz999
Has liked: 5 times

Post by dazz999 » Thu May 02, 2019 6:41 pm

inspirational just a fantastic read thank,s Will for taking the time to share Cheer,s Dazz

kenzie101

Post by kenzie101 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Good to see you back Will. I have learnt a lot from your posts and they are enjoyable reading. Appreciate your input. I know it is easy to say but concentrate on the positives and cut the toxic people and their agendas from your life. I have been there and done that and am a lot happier person now.
Cheers,
Mark.
Mark
:water: Lazy Fisher

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your support. I made the posts detailed so I could share as much info as I could. Unfortunately, the pics aren't great and don't do the fish justice. In other people's shots on the net big cod on boats next to people well they look huge, particularly with a wide angle lens or held out. :( I've chatted with a friend today who fishes the area I got the big one in on Monday. A big cod has been sighted there several times, hooked and got off, even eaten a tethered cod. It was landed by a boat some time ago and measured exactly 130. It sounds like the same fish. Watching it in the water cruising and then sipping in the lure is one of my all time fishing highlights.

I've just answered a pm from HappyFC. In it I explained why I put in my report as a diary. I wanted to demonstrate just how many doughnuts it took to get a few good cod. It doesn't matter whether you are chasing your first cod off the top, big cod, big snapper or whatever you have to put the time in. It is a confidence thing. Once you break through it all comes easier and you worry about it less.
April Fool wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 10:08 am
The swimbait rod you don't like....what is it that annoys you, just too long and awkward for the riverbank trees?
Dave's complaint was he didn't like the long butt with which I tend to agree. My biggest problem is it is like a surf rod in that it is much less accurate. Great for distance, but my usual rod is much better for accuracy. Having said that if I start targeting cod in Eildon on the top I would use it.

Some nice weather early next week. Do I go fly fishing for trout or go back up to the Murray? ;-)

Best Wishes

Truedogz

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Thu May 02, 2019 7:51 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 pm
Thanks everyone for your support. I made the posts detailed so I could share as much info as I could. Unfortunately, the pics aren't great and don't do the fish justice. In other people's shots on the net big cod on boats next to people well they look huge, particularly with a wide angle lens or held out. :( I've chatted with a friend today who fishes the area I got the big one in on Monday. A big cod has been sighted there several times, hooked and got off, even eaten a tethered cod. It was landed by a boat some time ago and measured exactly 130. It sounds like the same fish. Watching it in the water cruising and then sipping in the lure is one of my all time fishing highlights.

I've just answered a pm from HappyFC. In it I explained why I put in my report as a diary. I wanted to demonstrate just how many doughnuts it took to get a few good cod. It doesn't matter whether you are chasing your first cod off the top, big cod, big snapper or whatever you have to put the time in. It is a confidence thing. Once you break through it all comes easier and you worry about it less.
April Fool wrote:
Dave's complaint was he didn't like the long butt with which I tend to agree. My biggest problem is it is like a surf rod in that it is much less accurate. Great for distance, but my usual rod is much better for accuracy. Having said that if I start targeting cod in Eildon on the top I would use it.

Some nice weather early next week. Do I go fly fishing for trout or go back up to the Murray? ;-)

Best Wishes

Truedogz
You know what my answer would be, lol, cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:30 am

Truedogz wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:48 pm

April Fool wrote:

Best Wishes

Truedogz
Hopefully if you head down there you get that big one Truedogz.

The diary type report I really liked went through the dates like I messaged you to see what environmental factors played a part found a few interesting things nothing 100% obvious which is neither good nor bad, it’s in another post Boof Diary fishranger.

The diary entry definitely shows though that time effort reaps rewards.

As far as longer handled rods go considering the results you got and the fact it’s been demonstrated that the cod will take a lure close to your feet how necessary is the extra casting length?

purple5ive
Has liked: 567 times

Post by purple5ive » Fri May 03, 2019 11:01 am

Good to see you back mate!
dont worry about the others who let you down. just keep doing what your good at.
yes the future for the natives might not be as what you hoped it to be, but thats life. atleast you can still get out and fish, so make the most of it and keep posting those awesome reports.
cheers

Truedogz
Has liked: 32 times

Post by Truedogz » Tue May 07, 2019 7:17 pm

May 6 Murray River
Murray cod ≈ 102 cm 90 mins before dawn
Murray cod ≈ 55 cm 30 mins before dawn
Evening, no boofs

May 7 Murray River
Morning, no boofs

Headed up to the Murray Sunday after work arriving on dusk. I wasn't being facetious with my comment about going trout fishing, that was my original plan, there are some great trout to be had at this time of year. But thinking about the rain we had and the effect on streams I opted for the Murray.

For a change I went to an area I have not fished before. I didn't fish Sunday night as I was tired from work and just wanted to enjoy the ambiance of the evening near the fire. I could hear an odd small cod boofing and trouties popping but the river is a lot quieter compared to a month ago.

Got up about 4 am and headed up the river by foot surface fishing and watching meteors. Just after 5 am I picked up the cod in the pic below. This was one of the rare occasions I've caught one on level ground and quickly lifted it onto the brag mat - in my haste I had the jaw on top of bar at the top of the mat. I put the tape over it and it was about 102 cm:
metre boof.jpg
Quickly released though in the process I lost one of my boots in the deep mud. I managed to get it out but then had a wet cold foot till I got back to camp. Below is a pic of the capture location in daylight. The fish hit in the moving water near the snag even though it was the dark of night.
meteries snag.jpg
Followed up with a 55 cm job just before dawn.

Went out last night fishing another area and didn't get a sniff, in fact fish activity was very quiet on the river. Got up again this morning and saw lots of meteors but no boofs.

Unfortunately last night the level wind on the Shimao Tranx failed giving me the mother of all birdnests. Fortunately I had the backup Curado with me but I am not pleased. In fairness the Tranx has been throwing out massive lures, made huge numbers of casts and hauled in seven metre class cod including a couple of beasts on 60 pound braid. Still, I didn't expect failure after 13 months of use. :(

The cod have slowed down a lot in the Murray over the past month but with effort good fish can still be taken. Even though the fishing has slowed it is great having a fire on a cool night in picture postcard spots like this:
picture postcard.jpg
Best Wishes

Truedogz
Last edited by Truedogz on Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue May 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Another great fish Will, good to see you getting out and chilling, cheers davo :a_goodjob:
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Post by rb85 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Truedogz wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:56 pm

Night fishing prefer no moon. For twilight fish evenings just after a full moon I do well. In shadows you can catch them in daylight.

Great report Truedogz seems like your ideal conditions got the result. Dropping Barometer again.

Return to “Northern Victoria Fishing Reports”