Asking for Clarity within the Forum

News and info about the Fishing Victoria site.
Bugatti

Asking for Clarity within the Forum

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:43 am

I noticed a post but unfortunately missed the boat on replying to it, as that post seems to have disappeared.

April Fool wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:09 pm
Fish0n4Reel wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:01 pm

The above cryptic blank quotes should be enough for Admin and/or those concerned to know which post is being referenced. The comments in that post are irrelevant to this thread and I shall honour the disappearance of the specific comments of the post, I shall keep those specific comments "off public eye" (as I would ask/expect April Fool & FishOn4Reel to also do so) but the "notion" of those comments are the facilitators for this post as is the disappearance of that post.

If the post was deleted by the Author, could a function be set up to indicate just that, similar to an edited post. If a post has been edited by the Author, that is shown in the bottom of the post and subsequently we as readers can respect the edit by the Author and comment/reply to only what the Author freely submits. Or it may, I am unaware as I have not noticed, that a post shows if it has been edited by any of the Forum Team and hence as a readers, we can abide by those edits equally.

A deleted post can be possibly presented as a blanked post with who/why on it, similarly like the edited versions do.

Not withstanding by who or why that post has disappeared.

My reply would have been
FISHERMEN_2717198b.jpg
as I would have stood by Jim in the comments he made. Granted, an assumption he made in the first part of his comment, is only speculation. But, with the lack of clarity, the assumption Jim made seems to fit the circumstance that the absence of clarity presented, which I under the same circumstances, agree with the assumption made by Jim and I would have made the same assumption. Mainly due to the absence of clarity.

April Fool's second part to his comments, I agree with as well but are not the purpose of this post. I understand small steps are required and those comments can be addressed consequently at a later more appropriate time. This comment is either for Jim (happy to stand up with you if and when you wish) or for Admin, depending on how the post disappeared.

So , , , ,

I am asking if it is possible to have clarity when action on the Forum Boards has been undertaken by the Team or the Author. This would alleviate any speculation, confusion and/or misguided subsequent posts about what had happened.

If action is undertaken by the Team, may I put forward the following.

Most Judiciaries (The Courts, Government Agencies (VFA & others), AFL Tribunal etc) have clarity (if not transparency) which is all I am asking for, basic clarity. All I ask is that we be informed if a post has been deleted, or shelved for investigation/adjudication, or locked for a certain reason, or a post being pulled for a breach of the Forum Rules etc etc. This could be done on that thread or as a closed/locked post on the "Announcements" Board or in anyway you see fit and appropriate. I acknowledge and appreciate that this does occur but unfortunately not often enough.

I can see that this would have benefits in many ways. Firstly to quash speculation. Secondly information is empowering and wouldn't allow for "runaway threads" as has happened. Also, it would be a learning experience to the Author and to others on what is deemed to be acceptable and to those that don't take it as a learning experience, it would be indicative of being a generic warning by example. Plus, it is difficult for those of us who want to stand up and support you and your team if we are unaware of what/why action has been taken.

I am not asking for total transparency. What happens behind closed doors and private conversations is exactly that , , , , and rightfully should remain private.

I draw your attention to a post, which I made in support of your clarity and above & beyond transparency that Admin showed. A level of transparency which I am not asking for (that B2F situation was quite volatile and prudent of you to do so at that time) but more so, just asking for basic clarity.

"To Fishing Victoria Forum Administrators, I commend you for the handling of this topic/issue. You guys/guy didn't have to be, but have, come out and were open and transparent on the issue of BorntoFish. . . . . There shouldn't be the need to "defend yourselves" or actions taken behind the scenes with a member but if misguided claims are being made openly on the forum and then accommodated by some and not taken as "his" side of the story, it was quite prudent of you to clear the air. So well done and hats off to you."

That post was made by me, as an 8 day old new member. Also in that post (not shown here) I supported the Team, the members and also civilly rebutted B2F. Hence, I am consistent and forthright (contrary to claims)

A Good (but frustrated) Man once said to me "How could he expect his kids to follow their passions if he lets go of his". I also tell my kids, stand by your convictions and stand up for yourselves and others, especially for the meek.

It is hard for us to support what we don't know is going on.

Thank you for listening.

Regards, Bill.

ps. If this thread does see the light of day (which I would hope is solely a decision Jon would make, and not a knee jerk reaction by anyone else to delete it) so if it does see the light of day , , , , I am sure it is hanging on, only by a tether.

So please please, if anyone posts on here, make it civil and constructive.

rb85
Has liked: 412 times

Re: Asking for Clarity within the Forum

Post by rb85 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:30 am

Early start or late night Bill?
Either way mate think the mods have a pretty tough time with a lot of rubbish to be filtered through they are only volunteers at a guess so unlike other judiciary’s they are here to help but aren’t obligated to.

Anyway mate this forum needs to get back to what it’s for fishing.

Aaron75
Has liked: 68 times

Post by Aaron75 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:58 am

I love the fact that this complaint was submitted at 2:43am. I don't know if the author stayed up half the night composing it or if he woke up and randomly raged about deleted posts on a fishing forum, either way it's hilarious. I think Bugatti is one of those guys who spends his time writing to companies with inane complaints about their products trying to get free stuff.

davek
Has liked: 268 times

Post by davek » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:51 am

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:43 am
I noticed a post but unfortunately missed the boat on replying to it, as that post seems to have disappeared.

April Fool wrote:
Fish0n4Reel wrote:

The above cryptic blank quotes should be enough for Admin and/or those concerned to know which post is being referenced. The comments in that post are irrelevant to this thread and I shall honour the disappearance of the specific comments of the post, I shall keep those specific comments "off public eye" (as I would ask/expect April Fool & FishOn4Reel to also do so) but the "notion" of those comments are the facilitators for this post as is the disappearance of that post.

If the post was deleted by the Author, could a function be set up to indicate just that, similar to an edited post. If a post has been edited by the Author, that is shown in the bottom of the post and subsequently we as readers can respect the edit by the Author and comment/reply to only what the Author freely submits. Or it may, I am unaware as I have not noticed, that a post shows if it has been edited by any of the Forum Team and hence as a readers, we can abide by those edits equally.

A deleted post can be possibly presented as a blanked post with who/why on it, similarly like the edited versions do.

My reply would have been

FISHERMEN_2717198b.jpg

as I would have stood by Jim in the comments he made. Granted, an assumption he made in the first part of his comment, is only speculation. But, with the lack of clarity, the assumption Jim made seems to fit the circumstance that the absence of clarity presented, which I under the same circumstances, agree with the assumption made by Jim and I would have made the same assumption. Mainly due to the absence of clarity.

April Fool's second part to his comments, I agree with as well but are not the purpose of this post. I understand small steps are required and those comments can be addressed consequently at a later more appropriate time. This comment is either for Jim (happy to stand up with you if and when you wish) or for Admin, depending on how the post disappeared.

So , , , ,

I am asking if it is possible to have clarity when action on the Forum Boards has been undertaken by the Team or the Author. This would alleviate any speculation, confusion and/or misguided subsequent posts about what had happened.

Most Judiciaries (The Courts, Government Agencies (VFA & others), AFL Tribunal etc) have clarity (if not transparency) which is all I am asking for, basic clarity. All I ask is that we be informed if a post has been deleted, or shelved for investigation/adjudication, or locked for a certain reason, or a post being pulled for a breach of the Forum Rules etc etc. This could be done on that thread or as a closed/locked post on the "Announcements" Board or in anyway you see fit and appropriate. I acknowledge and appreciate that this does occur but unfortunately not often enough.

I can see that this would have benefits in many ways. Firstly to quash speculation. Secondly information is empowering and wouldn't allow for "runaway threads" as has happened. Also, it would be a learning experience to the Author and to others on what is deemed to be acceptable and to those that don't take it as a learning experience, it would be indicative of being a generic warning by example. Plus, it is difficult for those of us who want to stand up and support you and your team if we are unaware of what/why action has been taken.

I am not asking for total transparency. What happens behind closed doors and private conversations is exactly that , , , , and rightfully should remain private.

I draw your attention to a post, which I made in support of your clarity and above & beyond transparency that Admin showed. A level of transparency which I am not asking for (that B2F situation was quite volatile and prudent of you to do so at that time) but more so, just asking for basic clarity.

"To Fishing Victoria Forum Administrators, I commend you for the handling of this topic/issue. You guys/guy didn't have to be, but have, come out and were open and transparent on the issue of BorntoFish. . . . . There shouldn't be the need to "defend yourselves" or actions taken behind the scenes with a member but if misguided claims are being made openly on the forum and then accommodated by some and not taken as "his" side of the story, it was quite prudent of you to clear the air. So well done and hats off to you."

That post was made by me, as an 8 day old new member. Also in that post (not shown here) I supported the Team, the members and also civilly rebutted B2F. Hence, I am consistent and forthright (contrary to claims)

A Good (but frustrated) Man once said to me "How could he expect his kids to follow their passions if he lets go of his". I also tell my kids, stand by your convictions and stand up for yourselves and others, especially for the meek.

Thank you for listening.

Regards, Bill.

ps. If this thread does see the light of day (which I would hope is solely a decision Jon would make, and not a knee jerk reaction by anyone else to delete it) so if it does see the light of day , , , , I am sure it is hanging on, only by a tether.

I need a Panadol after that :( cheers davo
It's an exhilarating feeling catching a fish
But it's an even better feeling releasing them

April Fool
Has liked: 223 times

Post by April Fool » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:47 am

Bill...I deleted the post myself after discussions with the mod in question. If I hadn't deleted it I would hazard a guess it would still be there as it was there for a while before I removed it.

I am no expert on the program that this forum uses but I don't think actions regarding deletion of posts could be shown in public. Reality is 95% of what the mods delete or edit is totally warranted anyway due to blatant infringements. I wouldn't worry about it Bill, I am not!!!
Cheers
Jim

Wolly Bugger
Has liked: 13 times

Post by Wolly Bugger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 am

Bugatti wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:43 am

April Fool wrote:
Fish0n4Reel wrote:

My reply would have been

FISHERMEN_2717198b.jpg

So , , , ,

Thank you for listening.

Regards, Bill.

When it comes to moderation, there are a number of steps we can take;
1) Edit the post, ie remove certain words or phrases.
2) we can delete the whole post
3) we can move it out of sight
4) we can lock the thread down

In the past, I have tried to add a message as to why I took that action, but not always. Recently I have messaged certain people and pointed out certain things, rather than issue a warning which usually turns pear shape. So I try the softly softly approach first.

You have a good point, however past events have become extremely nasty, and things escalated out of control. There have been threats made to the safety of Jon and myself.

If we have to justify everything that we do, that creates a lot of work, especially when people are not happy with the reason for the justification.

hornet
Has liked: 123 times

Post by hornet » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:01 am

Think I'll wait till the DVD comes out. :)
He who has the most fishing rods WINS ! :ts:

crumpet_avenger
Has liked: 6 times

Post by crumpet_avenger » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:31 am

I'm only a very simple man.
It will take me at least a month to read that post. ..

My printer ran out of ink and I killed 13 trees just for the paper so I could print it off to bookmark where I was up to before I lost focus...

Short and sharp posts hit harder. Quick games a good game so they say

Texas
Has liked: 221 times

Post by Texas » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:19 pm

I don't necessarily agree with you Bill, but, I'll fight for your right to express yourself in a respectful manner
Cheers Gra

Bugatti

Post by Bugatti » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks guys

This is the first time I have had enough time to respond in a way to do justice to those that have replied.

I shall try and respond to each post in a sequence that may help explain the thread, in a way with out doubling up on replies. But with no relevance to any posts being of more importance to any other.

Wolly's first as it the the answer to what I have raised.

Wolly Bugger wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:50 am

When it comes to moderation, there are a number of steps we can take;
1) Edit the post, ie remove certain words or phrases.
2) we can delete the whole post
3) we can move it out of sight
4) we can lock the thread down

In the past, I have tried to add a message as to why I took that action, but not always. Recently I have messaged certain people and pointed out certain things, rather than issue a warning which usually turns pear shape. So I try the softly softly approach first.

You have a good point, however past events have become extremely nasty, and things escalated out of control. There have been threats made to the safety of Jon and myself.

If we have to justify everything that we do, that creates a lot of work, especially when people are not happy with the reason for the justification.
Firstly, thanks Wolly. Your response would have taken some time and I truly appreciate it.

Secondly, I did want to know what could or couldn't be done in relation to clarity. But that could have been achieved by PM-ing Jon. This was done similar to an "open letter" style, so the clarity issue can be explained in a open manner for others to understand as well the limitations and logistics and unfortunately consequences to you guys of totally informing all forum members.

Also, you have excelled with your response, more than what I expected but quietly hoped for, so now everyone can see (or be reminded of) what actually does go on with the mountainous amount of work that you guys do , , , , and the processes/consequences that are involved and again the consequences you guys face by some.

So a reminder, re-iteration of "not all is what it seems" and we as members should give you guys credit and not fly off the handle with emotive misguided assumptions.

Thanks again Wolly, hopefully your response gets noticed, as I have.

Regards, Bill

Return to “Announcements”