King spinning

DougieK

King spinning

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 pm

Fished the scary side of schank today spinning for kings and floating a squid strip on the low tide / wind change. This location is a rock boots / life jackets / time your walk in and out kind of place.

Zero action on the squid strip.

Casting bigger stickbaits as per the previous advice from Scott I hooked up hard about 10 minutes after I got there and ended up with another god damned salmon.

An hour after low tide despite the dropping swell the some water started to come over the ledge I was on. I tied the bait rod off and kept casting.

Aaaaaaaaaaand.... no kings. Ended up with a few nice salmon and observed the usual degree of mental capacity, people in jeans / thongs trying to fish. Running around in bare feet on the ledge. Fishing with 7 foot rods etc. I'm amazed more people don't get killed down there.

Casting a pe 6 10 footer all day is exhausting.
16/17 Comp total 64cm

"If nothing easy is worthwhile, then LBG with lures must be just about the most worthwhile thing on the planet" MTF 2014

Remove these ads.

scott__henning

Re: King spinning

Post by scott__henning » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Need to go bigger again :thumbsup:

One thing with the kings, you might have better luck with a southerly, which will push all the bait and therefore fish in close to the rocks. Will make it harder to cast though.....

You’ll get one eventually!!

Nude up

Post by Nude up » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Conditions look great though. Bad luck on the kings

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:22 pm

scott__henning wrote:Need to go bigger again :thumbsup:

One thing with the kings, you might have better luck with a southerly, which will push all the bait and therefore fish in close to the rocks. Will make it harder to cast though.....

You’ll get one eventually!!

I've got a few of them just not this year.

If you had to recommend a couple of comically oversized stickbaits for local kings, what would they be?
16/17 Comp total 64cm

"If nothing easy is worthwhile, then LBG with lures must be just about the most worthwhile thing on the planet" MTF 2014

DougieK

Post by DougieK » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm

Nude up wrote:Conditions look great though. Bad luck on the kings

That bit of Schanck is waaaaaaaay freaking scarier than it looks in the photos, I actually got knocked off this exact spot in 2015. Not an experience i'm keen to duplicate.
16/17 Comp total 64cm

cobby

Post by cobby » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

DougieK wrote:
Nude up wrote:Conditions look great though. Bad luck on the kings

That bit of Schanck is waaaaaaaay freaking scarier than it looks in the photos, I actually got knocked off this exact spot in 2015. Not an experience i'm keen to duplicate.

Under the lighthouse? Got more balls than me, it looks absolutely **** from the boat watching the swell hit let alone being on the rocks

Remove these ads.

rb85

Post by rb85 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:08 am

Sounds like an adventure Dougiie will start looking for kings in the next few days I hope. Not there though.

Lightningx

Post by Lightningx » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am

Nice report and pics.
Looks like a top lb spot :thumbsup:

bluewater81

Post by bluewater81 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 am

Went down there last Friday after launching Queenscliff, beautiful run down the coast on a glassy morning (wind picked up from the E not long after) to my first time to Cape Schanck (newish to VIC). Trolled deep divers, casted stick baits and got an almighty hookup on a 160g knife jig close the rock which busted me off within seconds. Counted 24 boats trolling along the point, scenic spot but no kings that time

Kimtown

Post by Kimtown » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:25 am

You're a mad dog dougie. I'll stick to the safe confines of my boat, thank you!

Remove these ads.

Return to “Cape Schanck”